(Turbo Lag / Acceleration Delay / Oil inside turbo inlet) 2018 C43 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
(Turbo Lag / Acceleration Delay / Oil inside turbo inlet) 2018 C43 AMG

Hello everyone,

I seriously need your help or opinions on what to do. I noticed recently that my car has an increased acceleration delay than before. It seems as if something is not letting it unleash its full potential. Almost as if it doesn't have enough boost. Took it to the dealership with 7 problems and they released the car without fixing the remaining 6 problems under warranty. So I came home and dug into it myself. What I found is that the drivers side turbo is clean and shiny. However, passenger side turbo has an oily brown film and a very small puddle. Called the dealership and they ignore my calls. Any ideas on how should I go about this? Have 20 miles left before warranty expires. Felt like they didn't want me there. Please help. Located in Illinois. Pictures attached!!

Passenger turbo inlet pictures:

Drivers side turbo inlet:

Problems list:
- Brake assist (going off randomly/have to disable every morning to work) <- dealer didn't even look into it.
- Rear seatbelt squeaking (dealer said it doesn't squeak)
- Increased throttle lag (dealer said couldn't pass legal speed limit and disregarded it)
- Power loss (dealer said it feels fine to them)
- Very minimal oil consumption (dealer told me is normal)
- Rear left door handle light out (dealer replaced the bulb)
- Cruise control issue (On the highway was going 80mph+ and heard a loud bang and everything was inoperative with bunch of errors, pulled off to the shoulder and put the car in park and back in drive and it wouldn't move forward. Turned car off and on and it worked again. Only happened once many many months ago in the winter. My theory is that it was a sensor. Brakes locked for 1 second!) <- dealer ignored this issue

Last edited by ralftech; 11-06-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,124 Likes on 750 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
I might find.a different dealer, or at least pull the fault codes and see what's going on, maybe a good scanner to start, or an inexpensive one, I have an Icarsoft MB2 that works pretty well
The following users liked this post:
ralftech (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 08:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
C43 2017
Well if I was the dealership and you came in with 22 kms or miles left with a huge list of piddly paddly issues. I would also assume you are trying to take advantage. You prob wouldve had better action choosing the most important issue...the accel problem...by adding your squeky rattly issues dont show you in a good light yaaa.
Your claim is legit regardless but considering how close to warranty experation you are well lets say flucked..find a good towtruck flatbed of course so you dont hurt it.
Best of luck
Old 11-07-2021, 09:14 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
This is normal on our cars. I have the same complaints that were never addressed during my warranty period.

Anyway, the oil comes from a clogged Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve or Crankcase Breather Valve as MB calls it.
Essentially it is oil coming from blowby in your piston which goes back out the intake. Judging by the amount of sludge, you're case is not bad at all and it is not a major issue that needs to be addressed right away.

The part you have to replace looks like this, it is sold as a complete assembly which takes quite a lot of work to install due to the location of the PCV system at the back of the engine:

You may also want to check the condition of your sparkplugs.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonathan358:
pierrejoliat (11-07-2021), ralftech (11-07-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 09:38 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2019 CLS450 (C257)
Originally Posted by jonathan358
This is normal on our cars. I have the same complaints that were never addressed during my warranty period.

Anyway, the oil comes from a clogged Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve or Crankcase Breather Valve as MB calls it.
Essentially it is oil coming from blowby in your piston which goes back out the intake. Judging by the amount of sludge, you're case is not bad at all and it is not a major issue that needs to be addressed right away.

The part you have to replace looks like this, it is sold as a complete assembly which takes quite a lot of work to install due to the location of the PCV system at the back of the engine:

You may also want to check the condition of your sparkplugs.
Has anyone custom fitted an oil catch can solution for the C43 yet?
Old 11-08-2021, 10:15 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by dagger22
Has anyone custom fitted an oil catch can solution for the C43 yet?
IIRC, there was a member with a catch can setup on this forum with pictures. You'll have to dig for it using the search bar haha.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:21 PM

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
How many miles on the car? If its more than 40k id change the spark plugs.
I second the "get a good scanner" request. Something that will tell you if there are ABS faults since you seem to have had that at least once.
The amount of oil residue on the passenger side is consistent with all of the M276 TT motors ive seen. Just oil getting through the PCV system, which on our motors is very good. Lots of high mileage C400/450/43 around with no catch can and very little carbon on the valves compared to other FI DI motors.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (11-09-2021)