Bang/Ticking startup noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 01:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
Unhappy Bang/Ticking startup noise

Hi Guys,
After doing some reading I heard zMAX would fix the not so beautiful banging sound when I start my car. Because it only happens the first 2-3 seconds upon a cold startup (doesn't happen when I then turn the car off and restart it) I believe it has to do with oil pressure filling/residue blockage of oil paths that get to top of engine. Has anyone had similar experience with a clanking/ticking noise on C43 cold start. And the Mercedes dealership was completely useless about the problem and acted like it was usual.
Here are some things to consider.
Is not from my catalytic converters (made noise before and after changing downpipes)
Happened around the same time my FI-Exhaust valves stopped opening (Coincidence or Vacuum line problem?)

I am honestly desperate at this point and would love any input as I don't feel like giving Mercedes service a free 500$ to tell me nothing is wrong with my car.

If you had a problem similar to this what did you do to fix this?
Old 11-27-2021, 08:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by anomen
Hi Guys,
After doing some reading I heard zMAX would fix the not so beautiful banging sound when I start my car. Because it only happens the first 2-3 seconds upon a cold startup (doesn't happen when I then turn the car off and restart it) I believe it has to do with oil pressure filling/residue blockage of oil paths that get to top of engine. Has anyone had similar experience with a clanking/ticking noise on C43 cold start. And the Mercedes dealership was completely useless about the problem and acted like it was usual.
Here are some things to consider.
Is not from my catalytic converters (made noise before and after changing downpipes)
Happened around the same time my FI-Exhaust valves stopped opening (Coincidence or Vacuum line problem?)

I am honestly desperate at this point and would love any input as I don't feel like giving Mercedes service a free 500$ to tell me nothing is wrong with my car.

If you had a problem similar to this what did you do to fix this?
Got a video? I get a few random minor pops/blips on cold start up coming from my motor upon cold start. Nothing that affects the car. My mechanic mentioned that it probably coming from the engine flipping cams on startup. Not sure what that means but that's what I was told. No issues. Clicking noise you are hearing is the fuel injectors. They are naturally loud.