C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is one strip of 3m tape enough to hold down a 2lb carbon fiber lip spoiler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mercedes-benz c450 amg
Exclamation Is one strip of 3m tape enough to hold down a 2lb carbon fiber lip spoiler?

Today I removed the small carbon fiber lip spoiler that comes on the car from factory and replaced it with a RS carbon fiber spoiler from KSC performance that comes with 2 strips of 3m tape. I removed the old spoiler, cleaned the area very thoroughly, used duct tape after pre-fitting to get alignment correct, applied adhesion promoter, and then put the spoiler on. I did the method where you peel back a small section of the tape cover and then pull it out from under the spoiler as the spoiler is already mounted. I made sure to press firmly to get the adhesion to work as I removed the tape cover on the top strip. However, when I got to the bottom strip and began to pull off the tape cover, I realized I'd already got the spoiler pushed down and mounted so well on the top that I couldn't pull the bottom strip without ripping the cover and therefore not getting the actual sticky part of the tape to be in contact with the car. I did some research as I was very upset and nervous about this given how long I took to clean and prep before installing, and everything seems to point towards that it should be okay and not fly off. However, I am here for peace of mind, and would like others input as to whether or not it's okay to just have the one strip actually adhering to the hood of the car or if I should tear it off, get new tape, and re install the spoiler?