C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is one strip of 3m tape enough for lip spoiler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mercedes-benz c450 amg
Is one strip of 3m tape enough for lip spoiler?

I did the instillation of my new RS carbon fiber lip spoiler with a friend after watching lots of hours of youtube videos on it. We removed the factory lip spoiler with fishing line and a heat gun, thoroughly cleaned the surface of the trunk with goo-gone and isopropyl alcohol, did a fitment check without taking the tape off and set guidelines based on that with painters tape. We then used the adhesive promoter, peeled back just a corner of the adhesive covering to leave a tab we could then pull the rest off of while the spoiler was already sitting on the trunk, and successfully pulled all of the tape cover off of the top strip. One of us was removing the tape cover while the other followed and pushed and held to make sure the adhesion was strong. However, we did such a good job of getting the top strip down that when we went to start pulling the rest of the cover off the bottom strip of adhesive, it ripped because there was no space left from our pushing, and now basically only half of the adhesive is on. It seems to be extremely sturdy and i waited 24 hours before taking a test drive just a few minutes ago and at 60mph there seemed to be no issue with just the one strip. However I am somewhat nervous about this and was wondering if there’s anything to do to try and get the second strip on while the spoiler is already on the car. If not, is the 1 strip okay or is there something else I should do? Just looking for peace of mind. Attached are some photos for reference:

Old 01-05-2022, 06:49 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
If what you used was less than that recommended, then I would not trust it. If you installed as per the instructions, then you should be fine. The stock spoiler is held in with double-sided tape without issue. My RW Carbon spoiler has seen countless high speed runs without issue.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mercedes-benz c450 amg
Originally Posted by C43HeartBoost
If what you used was less than that recommended, then I would not trust it. If you installed as per the instructions, then you should be fine. The stock spoiler is held in with double-sided tape without issue. My RW Carbon spoiler has seen countless high speed runs without issue.
Okay thank you for the info. i contacted the manufacturer and they said as long as it was the bottom strip and not the top one having issues it would be alright, and my issue was with the bottom strip so it should be alright. Thank you!