Sponsored by:

Powdercoated Calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 09:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
GT53, GLE53
Powdercoated Calipers

Okay teammates, figured I'd share an experience with you. I always thought my silver C43 coupe with silver AMG calipers could use a little pop. I have painted calipers before, but wanted to do something a little more durable. I used this idea as an excuse to buy a dual voltage powdercoating gun and oven.

I haven't seen a post like this (likely because taking apart caliper seals and brake pistons could be easily messed up), but at any rate I tried it. Not saying to do it, but it car shops can do it, I thought why not me.

Okay, here goes....

I already had an air compressor... so bought an oven off amazon (tabletop XL size maybe $130?)
Eastwood Hotcoat 3D Shimmering Metallic Halcyon Gold - 1lb 54284LB $36.99 (Going to use this on my GT53... it's as close to the MB ceramic brake caliper color as I can find)
Eastwood Hotcoat Super Gloss Clear - 1lb 10286LB $19.99
Powder Coating Accessories Kit 11536 $29.89
Eastwood Hotcoat Ford Dark Blue - 1lb 10106LB $14.99 (My C43 is Iridium Silver... so the deep royal/ford blue would pop)
Eastwood PCS-250 Dual Voltage Powder Gun 33278 $139.99 (I'd recommend the dual voltage. The front calipers are thick and to get the attraction all over needs more voltage)

Oh one last item... I knew I'd have to bleed the brakes at the end. Harbor Freight sells a pretty awesome brake bleeding kit that uses your compressor to suck air/brake fluid out of the caliper bleed port while bottle of brake fluid autofills at master cylinder reservoir.
https://www.harborfreight.com/pneuma...xoCxuEQAvD_BwE

Started off by jacking up the car, placing on jackstands and removing all four wheels.
You'll need to place the Emergency Parking Brake (EPB) in Brake Pad Replacement mode. Basically this retracts the rear parking brake piston fully. Search brake pad replacement and watch youtube... but bottom line press the engine start button once (without foot on brake), ensure you are displaying the mileage on dashboard screen, press and hold the phone call button and simultaneously the OK button on steering column... this brings up the maintenance menu. Select brake pad replacement and retract the EPB.

There are plenty of videos showing how to remove the calipers both front and back on youtube (man I'm thankful for youtube... we used to live in Haynes manuals... new and better era nowadays).
Caliper Removed:

Next... I watched and executed caliper disassembly almost just like the eastwood video here:
It was pretty easy honestly. Just be sure tape off any ports/holes and the cylinder ports.

I chose to do 2 coats of blue powder.

Here's the kicker... my wife's Cricut machine. Never thought I'd have a use for that... I wanted the AMG logo like originally on the part... googled and found the logo (but it wasn't curved)... dragged the logo to photoshop and put a slight curve in it... saved it and opened the image with Cricut Maker. Sized 4 of them and had them printed out in silver. Applied them to the cooled off caliper and then sprayed the caliper with high gloss clear before putting back in oven.

End result for the calipers:

Put the seals and cylinders back in, reinstalled and bled the brakes. Make sure to go through the EPB fitting procedure on the dashboard to properly exit the brake pad replacement setting.

End result for car:

Hope this helps if anyone else ever had this idea. It was a good experience and result for me. I still like tinkering on cars, gets me out of the office and this was pretty satisfying to see the result. Now I'm just going to go crazy powdercoating everything....

Respectfully,
Brian
The following 6 users liked this post by SlagDizzle:
AMGiggity (03-02-2022), BoyGeezy (03-02-2022), dowheelies (03-17-2022), Fluffy Nuggets (03-01-2022), GWSHARK (03-02-2022), jonathan358 (03-02-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-01-2022, 10:09 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Great job! Hit me up if you are in Southern California.
The following users liked this post:
SlagDizzle (03-01-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 07:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
*2018 AMG C43 *2014 E350 Sport *1964 220 SEB
You will find them to be super durable too. I went with black AMG logo.

The following 2 users liked this post by jag0124:
GWSHARK (03-02-2022), SlagDizzle (03-02-2022)