Cracked rim on 2019 C43 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 & GLE 400
Cracked rim on 2019 C43 Coupe

Hello everyone

a month ago I noticed air slowly leaking, took it to a mechanic and he found that the rim is cracked (see attached photo no 1) later that day I took it to my local Mercedes dealer they said that it is not covered by warranty and gave me two options to either weld the rim for $300 CAD or just replace it for $1,200 CAD. I told them to weld it and hence they sent it off somewhere and two days later it seemed as the issue was fixed. (See attached photo no 2)

to my surprise I was still leaking air but much slower (about 1-2 psi per day)

I don’t recall hitting anything and the tire seems fine as well as no bend in the rim, I did some research and found out that the rims can get a hairline crack due to them being defective.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it

(No 1)

Hairline crack before welding

(No 2)

The crack after welding

Close up of the welded crack

Another angle of welded rim
Old 12-02-2022, 07:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C450 AMG
What a ****ty job. I guess you didn't buy the extra tire and wheel warranty? I would take it back to the dealership and get them to fix it. I would've taken the wheel to a professional wheel repair shop (not sure where you are, but there are a bunch of them in Vancouver), they would've done a much better job for likely a similar price.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 & GLE 400
Originally Posted by Speed2K
What a ****ty job. I guess you didn't buy the extra tire and wheel warranty? I would take it back to the dealership and get them to fix it. I would've taken the wheel to a professional wheel repair shop (not sure where you are, but there are a bunch of them in Vancouver), they would've done a much better job for likely a similar price.
Thank you for the reply

I agree it does not look good and I don’t have the wheel and tire warranty

I’m located in Ontario
Old 12-02-2022, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 690 Likes on 540 Posts
c
swap wheels now. Those multispoke 19's are so fragile. I never had the anxiety and worrying if my car would get me to my destination after swapping.