Soft Top Not Fully Opening 2017 C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Soft Top Not Fully Opening 2017 C43

Hello all,

So here is the issue for my 2017 C43. When I try to open the soft top, the operation goes smoothly except that the storage compartment cover doesn't latch.

Note that the storage compartment cover latches successfully when closing the soft top (so when it's empty). But when the soft top is inside it, it fails to latch.

I suspect it could be a limit switch issue, a signal is not being sent to lock the storage compartment cover in place although operation is done successfully.

Few other things to notice:
- Hydraulic system keeps pumping
- If someone applies external pressure on the storage compartment cover while I operate it then it latches

Pictures attached, any advice is appreciated 🙏

I took this picture while operating the system (while still pressing the button). So the soft top went into the storage compartment but the system keeps pumping without successfully locking.

While the previous picture shows that the cover is closed, the screen shows that it's still not yet closed, so I'm assuming some kind of signal is not getting to the system as it should.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2019 C43 Wagon
Hi there, welcome. I haven't seen many convertible owner posts here. This sounds like a C-Class (and not C43 specific) issue - you may want to post in the larger C-Class forum and see if someone has experienced this
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205-186/
Old 03-31-2023, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 173 Posts
Amg C43
I assume there’s not a seatbelt or something small blocking the latch? Or keeping it from closing all the way?
Old 04-01-2023, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
N/A
Take a look at the cords for the soft top mechanism. Drop the top half way and take a look inside. If your issue is the same that I had in my C43 Cab, your cords are probably EOL, and have either broken or are on the brink of breaking. I caught this in a PPI and was able to get my entire soft top re-corded under warranty. Out of warranty, the dealership quoted the fix at about $2k when I asked about it before purchasing.

As mentioned previously, this is an issue more commonly found in C-classes in general unfortunately.

Picture of what some of my cords looked like for reference. You shouldn't see any white.