Sponsored by:

Intercooler-Transmission split/separate loop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 03:03 PM

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
2015 C400 4MATIC Palladium Silver Metallic
Intercooler-Transmission split/separate loop

Why would the Zac Speed C63 (or really any off the shelf transmission cooler with the right adapter fittings) not work on an M276 equipped W205?

From what I have seen the water/oil heat exchanger for the C400/C450/C43 transmission is identical to the C63s, the only real difference is our IC cooling loop only has one heat exchanger.

Has anyone really poked around under the car to see what needs to be done?

I feel like this would be nearly as useful as a bigger intercooler.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:53 PM

Anybody?

This is what the stock cooler looks like. It's made by a company called Modine, they seem like they're pretty well known for making fluid coolers of various types.

The outlets with the red plugs are the trans fluid inlet and outlet. The two outlets that are open are tied into the intercooler coolant loop.

This looks EXACTLY like the trans cooler for the 7-speed C63 (haven't confirmed for the 9-speed), as pictured in both the Modal Works and Zac Speed trans cooler split kits.

The only difference I can quickly spot is the hardlines that connect to the cooler have different angles for the C63.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:44 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Its probably just packaging and outlet diameters. There really isn't anything to a coolant system but a loop and pump. -My 2c.
Old 08-22-2023, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 C43AMG
Originally Posted by TwoC400s
Why would the Zac Speed C63 (or really any off the shelf transmission cooler with the right adapter fittings) not work on an M276 equipped W205?

From what I have seen the water/oil heat exchanger for the C400/C450/C43 transmission is identical to the C63s, the only real difference is our IC cooling loop only has one heat exchanger.

I asked about something similar when I first bought my car, my thought was that a lot of money could be saved over the wagner intercooler upgrade by just purchasing the c63 intercooler radiator cores that go in the sides of the bumper and tieing them into the system with some custom lines. That should improve cooling and heatsoak under boost for a few hundred dollars as opposed to the $2k+ cost of the larger intercooler core 🤷‍♂️
The following users liked this post:
TwoC400s (05-06-2024)
Old 08-22-2023, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by C43Mike
I asked about something similar when I first bought my car, my thought was that a lot of money could be saved over the wagner intercooler upgrade by just purchasing the c63 intercooler radiator cores that go in the sides of the bumper and tieing them into the system with some custom lines. That should improve cooling and heatsoak under boost for a few hundred dollars as opposed to the $2k+ cost of the larger intercooler core 🤷‍♂️
My plan is to just add a small trans fluid cooler to the front bumper support and completely separate it from the IC coolant loop. I may either A) block off the coolant tubes that go to the stock trans cooler, or B) just loop them together, thus deleting the stock trans fluid cooler entirely.

Should cost around $100.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 C43AMG

Old 08-26-2023, 05:00 PM

I purchased the only used trans cooler on eBay that still had the hose fittings attached so that I could do as much fitting and research off the car as possible.

Red: retention clip
Green: slot for retention clip and orifice for flared hard-line
Blue: threaded male ORB fitting that screws into trans cooler
Purple: dust cover (clip retention cover)

So now all I need to do is determine the thread size/pitch of the ORB fitting and get a proper hose made.
The following users liked this post:
thisfoo (08-27-2023)
Old 05-05-2024, 03:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'16 GLC 43 AMG
Have you gotten any further on this?

I purchased the only used trans cooler on eBay that still had the hose fittings attached so that I could do as much fitting and research off the car as possible.

Red: retention clip
Green: slot for retention clip and orifice for flared hard-line
Blue: threaded male ORB fitting that screws into trans cooler
Purple: dust cover (clip retention cover)

So now all I need to do is determine the thread size/pitch of the ORB fitting and get a proper hose made.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
Have you gotten any further on this?
I bought a set of C300 trans cooler lines from a scrap yard.
I took it to a local race shop that does custom trans/high pressure lines and had them fab me a custom set of lines.

Original MB fittings on the transmission end and -8 AN fittings on the other end with an additional 18 in of hose. I just ordered the trans cooler and mounting kit, will be a summer project.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:21 AM

'16 GLC 43 AMG
I bought a set of C300 trans cooler lines from a scrap yard.
I took it to a local race shop that does custom trans/high pressure lines and had them fab me a custom set of lines.

Original MB fittings on the transmission end and -8 AN fittings on the other end with an additional 18 in of hose. I just ordered the trans cooler and mounting kit, will be a summer project.
Did you have the lines made because you’re going to run a stand-alone system or to use the existing factory mounts and use it as an auxiliary unit?? I’m not at all smart with these cars so that’s why I’m asking. I’d like to get one installed soon, but need to get smart before I approach that project.

Which cooler did you end up ordering?

Last edited by ninobrn99; 05-06-2024 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
Did you have the lines made because you’re going to run a stand-alone system or to use the existing factory mounts and use it as an auxiliary unit?? I’m not at all smart with these cars so that’s why I’m asking. I’d like to get one installed soon, but need to get smart before I approach that project.

Which cooler did you end up ordering?
The trans cooler and the Intercooler circuit will both be stand alone.

I got a Derale frame rail cooler from Summit racing and the race shop fabbed me some mounts.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:51 PM

'16 GLC 43 AMG
The trans cooler and the Intercooler circuit will both be stand alone.

I got a Derale frame rail cooler from Summit racing and the race shop fabbed me some mounts.
Mine is scheduled to go into the shop on Wednesday. It was originally for DPs, but I was sent the wrong ones. Wagner Intercooler and LPFP haven’t arrived yet either so at a minimum I’m having the transmission and transfer case serviced. Ordered a Mishimoto 10-row that will be here tomorrow so I’m going to see if they can fit it or at least work out what needs to be done in order to get it on. I’ll don’t know if I should put it in line with the existing system or stand alone. I’ll chat with them about it.

Thanks for the details.