Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:22 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
CLk BE vs M6 vid and the editorial:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121263

Wow look at what the M6 owners on M5board are saying about the comparison of the CLK BE vs the M6!!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=100914

Lot's of sour grapes!
it's called more-money-than-brain syndrome. I really want to make a username to point out some of the stuff they said are really idiotic. Didn't know the m5board are filled with idiots now compare to few years back.

idiot #1 said MB had to modified the CLK for the F1 safety car while M6 is used for the MotoGP stock. That was just too funny that he didn't know the previous safety cars were all production AMGs. Only reason the CLK63 black is the new safety car is for show/promotion.

idiot #2 talks about praticality while driving a M6 convertible himself. LMAO...

idiot #3 then comes in with "the M6 has better numbers and brakes, MB slushbox suck, and throw on pilot cup tires on the M6". I'm sure the tire helps, but it's not going to help the M6's body-roll... and somehow the ignorant still don't want to recognize the MB/AMG having a better performing gearbox than their precious SMG which is routinely criticized

idiot #4 called it "still a C-class" but fail to realize the limited production M3 GTR cost way more for a "3-series".

Last edited by FrankW; 08-01-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by FrankW
idiot #3 then comes in with "the M6 has better numbers and brakes, MB slushbox suck, and throw on pilot cup tires on the M6". I'm sure the tire helps, but it's not going to help the M6's body-roll... and somehow the ignorant still don't want to recognize the MB/AMG having a better performing gearbox than their precious SMG which is routinely criticized
You forgot to play up the fact that, while huge, the single caliper brakes on the M6/M5 are the car's single biggest failing. The brakes on the Black Series sound immense, though it's always amusing how no car maker can come close to Porsche in this regard.

As regards Motorsport vs. AMG, I think it's horses for courses but in the braking department M are certainly behind AMG and S/RS.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by FrankW
it's called more-money-than-brain syndrome. I really want to make a username to point out some of the stuff they said are really idiotic. Didn't know the m5board are filled with idiots now compare to few years back.

idiot #1 said MB had to modified the CLK for the F1 safety car while M6 is used for the MotoGP stock. That was just too funny that he didn't know the previous safety cars were all production AMGs. Only reason the CLK63 black is the new safety car is for show/promotion.

idiot #2 talks about praticality while driving a M6 convertible himself. LMAO...

idiot #4 called it "still a C-class" but fail to realize the limited production M3 GTR cost way more for a "3-series".
Hence why I believe this thread was started:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...79#post2348579

They have some real good guys there I know personally but the majority of them are superclueless, superbiased imbeciles.. I'll stress again not all of the members there but alot of them who are just ridiculous in there loyalty to BMW, while supercriticizing other car makes..

I'm dying to see what they say when all the Black Series AMG63 cars come out and the Normal AMG C63 arrives.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 08-01-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
OK, you've lost me. I don't recall locking horns with you or being ever more spiteful each time I've engaged you since. Sure you're not confusing me with someone else?

Anyways, I value the published numbers as much as other people on this forum. But I also like to offer my (by definition, subjective) opinion. That's what forums are for. Otherwise MBW could just have a directory of every published number, and there would be no need for any member to post anything.

Lastly, I will offer my (by definition, subjective) opinion that the numbers lose some of their meaning when comparing apples to oranges. IMHO I don't think anyone except you compares a GT3 to an M6. As nice as the M6 is, that's just an affront to the GT3

PS: This is not a personal attack on you
Old 08-02-2007, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
OK, you've lost me. I don't recall locking horns with you or being ever more spiteful each time I've engaged you since. Sure you're not confusing me with someone else?
I don't think so, but I'll go back and look just the same....however, basically calling me "dumb" for comparing the GT3 to the M6 didn't do much to get things off on the right foot.

Anyways, I value the published numbers as much as other people on this forum. But I also like to offer my (by definition, subjective) opinion. That's what forums are for. Otherwise MBW could just have a directory of every published number, and there would be no need for any member to post anything.
I certainly don't have any issue with your posting opinions, but implying I'm stupid isn't going to get you into my Hall of Favorites....my statement about subjectivity came from your seeming to assert that your subjective opinions were concrete facts; they are not.

Lastly, I will offer my (by definition, subjective) opinion that the numbers lose some of their meaning when comparing apples to oranges. IMHO I don't think anyone except you compares a GT3 to an M6. As nice as the M6 is, that's just an affront to the GT3
(sigh)...again, you are utterly ignoring the context of my remarks, and are basically acting as though I had basically started a thread to compare the two cars. Is this all that complicated? I was saying that if one was buying an M6 for track numbers, then one is an idiot, as a GT3, for only a few thousand dollars more, will utterly destroy the M6 at any track, *OR* that the Z06 will do it for thousands LESS.

And to you, my saying that the GT3, when compared to the M6, is a superior track machine and posts better numbers constitutes "an afront"? Perhaps you would prefer that I state the GT3 would lose???

And gee, a quick google search reveals that I'm not the only one to realize that a GT3 is an attractive alternate to the M6:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Then there’s the money question. The base for a new M6 is $99,795. That doesn’t include the $3500 tab for the wall-to-wall leather. Or the $1000 head-up display, a useful feature that would be improved by the addition of turn-signal repeaters. With a couple other extras, we’re talking about a $106,390 bottom line.

Some of our guys point out that you could buy a Porsche 911 GT3 for this kind of money.
I agree.

I also agree with Edmunds.com, when they wrote in their M6 review:
In the high-performance coupe and convertible market, few of the players offer this kind of versatility. For instance, the Porsche 911 Turbo and GT3 are superior performers whether you're talking acceleration or handling
Which, on the surface, would seem to be exactly the point I was making, namely because it is exactly the same point that I was making. If track numbers are your priority, your money is better spent on the GT3 or Z06 than an M6.

As to your statement that I'm the only one comparing the two, well, even though it ignores the context of my remarks as I noted previously, I can promise you that I'm not "the only one" comparing the two:

Autocar magazine and SpeedTV compare the M6 and GT3:

German car magazine compares M6, Z06, GT3, others:

Forbesauto.com sez:
Closest Competitors
BMW M6, Cadillac XLR-V, Chevrolet Corvette Z06, Dodge Viper, Jaguar XKR, Maserati GranSport, Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG
PS: This is not a personal attack on you
No, but essentially saying that I was "dumb" for comparing the two certainly was.

Last edited by Improviz; 08-02-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
When did I assert my (by definition, subjective) opinions as concrete facts? Look man, at the end of the day this is just a car forum - most people aren't going to structure their posts like academic essays - people are going to be quick and to the point. Not every opinion posted here has to be prefaced by IMO, IMHO, IMNSHO, "in my opinion," "I believe/think/opine," etc.

Since you keep bringing up context, perhaps you should revisit the context yourself. Look at post 39 onwards. NOBODY brought up tracking prowess (or lack thereof) of an M6. The whole "if tracking numbers are paramount..." or "if you bought an M6 for tracking...." argument was brought up by no one other than you.

People post published numbers all the time here, including you more than most. That does not mean or imply that each respective poster bought his own car for its tracking prowess, its drag racing prowess, etc? Posting an M3's published time does not mean an M6 owner bought the 6 for tracking, just the same as posting a C55's track time does not mean a CLK55 owner bought the CLK for tracking.

People post kill stories all the time, in both AMG cars as well as non-AMG cars, SUVs, etc. Does that mean all those owners bought their cars as drag racers or street racers?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
As for the M6 vs. GT3 comparison, perhaps you should revist the context there too. In both the C&D and Edmunds articles, the GT3 is mentioned in passing before the author basically dismisses the comparison. You should really post the entire paragraphs from those two articles instead of just ending where the google-highlighted word "GT3" comes up (or where you think it will help makes your point).

The link to the video is titled a Top Speed Test of the Porsche GT3 vs Corvette Z06 vs BMW M6 vs Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera vs McLaren SLR 722 vs RUF RT12. That's not a comparison either, unless you are suggesting that the M6 should be compared to all those cars.

Forbes - I don't really care what they have to say about cars. Do you? General (i.e. undedicated to automotive) publications are usually terrible when it comes to car reviews. IMHO, etc etc....

The speedtv.com article - they did not make the comparison by design (and source the vehicles from the manufacturers for that very purpose), as most bonafide magazines do when they organize a comparo. When they got a GT3 for review, they "by chance, had an M6 in the office." They take both cars to the Nurburgring, where unsurprisngly the GT3 rips the M6 a new one. At the end of the day, however, they did compare the M6 vs. the GT3, by chance or not, so I'll have to grant you that one
Old 08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
When did I assert my (by definition, subjective) opinions as concrete facts? Look man, at the end of the day this is just a car forum - most people aren't going to structure their posts like academic essays - people are going to be quick and to the point. Not every opinion posted here has to be prefaced by IMO, IMHO, IMNSHO, "in my opinion," "I believe/think/opine," etc.
In my opinion, you were acting as though your opinions were concrete facts.

Since you keep bringing up context, perhaps you should revisit the context yourself. Look at post 39 onwards. NOBODY brought up tracking prowess (or lack thereof) of an M6. The whole "if tracking numbers are paramount..." or "if you bought an M6 for tracking...." argument was brought up by no one other than you.
I am starting to get the feeling that rather than simply not reading the context of these posts, you are deliberately ignoring it in order to avoid admitting that you were wrong. I brought it up IN RESPONSE to another member asserting that AMGs would be "chasing" M cars. He wrote:

Originally Posted by chiphomme
Are you people serious? Until AMG lightens their cars and puts something other than a slushbox in them they'll be chasing M's.
BTW, C&D has the new M3 @ 4.4 to 60 and 12.9@111 in the quarter.
(faster than their test on the RS4). And they believe the numbers will be better once final production car is available
This post clearly was performance-related, and "chasing" in this context is obviously a performance statement, as is arguing that lightening the cars (which helps performance, i.e. acceleration, braking, and handling), and a manual (ditto).

So, in response to this post, I wrote:
Originally Posted by Improviz
The last C55 tied the E46 M3 around the ring as tested by Sport Auto, and it had a slushbox. Further, publications have already reviewed the new M3 and found it to be lacking, while other publications have reviewed the new C63 and found it to be amazing. And with the 63 motors trapping at 115 in the 4,200 pound E55s, I doubt the C63 will be trapping at 112 weighing several hundred pounds less.

And it is funny, yet again, to see the "twisties" argument resurrected, as if the only reason one would purchase a $60,000+ sports coupe was its performance in the twisties; if this were true, then I'd be curious to know why you purchased an M6, given that a C6 Z06 would destroy it on any track for far less money, and which, btw, weighs in at about 700+ lbs less (I point this out because you seem to be quite concerned about vehicle weight).
There's your context. Again: nothing about this is difficult to comprehend, and you seem reasonably intelligent, so I can only conclude that you're being disengenous here. Track and performance numbers are *directly* related to what he wrote.

People post published numbers all the time here, including you more than most. That does not mean or imply that each respective poster bought his own car for its tracking prowess, its drag racing prowess, etc?
More ignoring of context. See above.

Also note that the poster in question owns an M6. I suppose that when he spent around $15,000 more to buy an M6 instead of a 650i, performance was the furthest thing from his mind, and that he instead bought this because it is a great grocery getter.

Posting an M3's published time does not mean an M6 owner bought the 6 for tracking, just the same as posting a C55's track time does not mean a CLK55 owner bought the CLK for tracking.
Sure, he obviously bought it to haul construction material, for a family car, to save on gasoline, to drive to Church on Sunday morning, etc.

And yet again, you deliberately ignore the context and conveniently ignore the fact that he brought up performance, and that I was replying to his post.

People post kill stories all the time, in both AMG cars as well as non-AMG cars, SUVs, etc. Does that mean all those owners bought their cars as drag racers or street racers?
You somehow think that you will win an argument by trying to take what I wrote out of its context and raise all sorts of irrelevent, rhetorical questions. You won't. This is not a kill story. This is about a post I wrote in response to a member comparing the performance of M cars to that of AMG cars. Performance numbers are directly related to this topic. Wrt to drag racing numbers, I again invite you to actually read his post:

Originally Posted by chiphomme
Are you people serious? Until AMG lightens their cars and puts something other than a slushbox in them they'll be chasing M's.
BTW, C&D has the new M3 @ 4.4 to 60 and 12.9@111 in the quarter.
(faster than their test on the RS4). And they believe the numbers will be better once final production car is available.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
As for the M6 vs. GT3 comparison, perhaps you should revist the context there too. In both the C&D and Edmunds articles, the GT3 is mentioned in passing before the author basically dismisses the comparison. You should really post the entire paragraphs from those two articles instead of just ending where the google-highlighted word "GT3" comes up (or where you think it will help makes your point).
OK, now you're starting to cross the line into outright dishonesty. FIrstly, the articles repeat my point verbatim. If that isn't "agreeing with a point", then nothing is. Secondly, NOWHERE does the Edmunds article "dismiss the comparison" between the cars. It states the following:
Originally Posted by edmunds.com
In the high-performance coupe and convertible market, few of the players offer this kind of versatility. For instance, the Porsche 911 Turbo and GT3 are superior performers whether you're talking acceleration or handling, but you give up plenty in the way of comfort and rear-seat accommodations.
They IN NO WAY dismiss or contradict their statement that the 911 Turbo and GT3 are superior performers in acceleration and handling.

As to the Car and Driver article, I find your intellectual dishonesty here to be astonishing. Firstly, article compares the M6 to the 911, the Turbo, *and* the GT3:
The formula is simple: make plenty of power, plenty of panache, and seating for just the driver and the occasional special passenger. Yes, yes, the M6 has a rear seat, and with cooperation from those up front, adults can in fact arrange themselves back there. But like the parcel-shelf rear seat in a Porsche 911, it's best suited to stowing a case of Dom Pérignon and a couple pounds of beluga caviar for an emergency supply run to Sag Harbor.

the M6 hunkers down and rips to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds, 0.1 second quicker than the heavier M5. The coupe's advantage continues as velocities increase: 8.9 seconds to 100 mph versus 9.4, 12.4 seconds at 121 mph in the quarter-mile versus 12.5 at 118. The times are similar to those we recorded for a Porsche 911 Turbo S cabriolet last August ["Lords of Envy"]

Some of our guys point out that you could buy a Porsche 911 GT3 for this kind of money. Some of them also point out that they aren't smitten with this car's persona. But your humble narrator, a slightly older guy (and unindicted former exec), thinks otherwise.
So, they compare the rear seat room to the 911 (as I did), the performance to the Turbo, and note that one could get a GT3 for this kind of money, the obvious implication being that the GT3 is an attractive alternate, particularly for those who are after performance.

And to claim that the author is "dismissing" the comparison is dishonest and laughable; in the first place, what he is "dismissing' is NOT the (red) statement of other guys who work for the magazine who pointed out the same thing I pointed out, that a GT3 can be purchased (therefore, it is an option) for this kind of cash; how can he? It's a fact, not an opinion!

What he is disagreeing with is the second (blue) statement, which is an OPINION, namely that the PERSONA of the car. Here's how he follows it up:
There are M6 elements that don't resonate as happily as BMW might like, but at its core, this is a formidable luxury GT with capabilities that will probably exceed the needs (and talents) of the lucky few who can make the payments. It's fast, sexy, capable, loaded with character -- and as a limited-production item, it'll undoubtedly become a collectible. Luxury-car buying doesn't get any better than this.
This has nothing to do with the GT3 cost/alternative point and everything to do with the following one, "character" of the car. He was clearly trying to establish an opinion that HE felt the car is a good car.

And even if HIS intent was to "dismiss" the opinions of the otherS (i.e., more than one person felt this way), which it clearly wasn't, it would hardly support your weak attempt to dismiss my argument: his opinion would not change the fact that multiple persons on the road test team raised the point that one could buy a GT3 for the same money.

The link to the video is titled a Top Speed Test of the Porsche GT3 vs Corvette Z06 vs BMW M6 vs Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera vs McLaren SLR 722 vs RUF RT12. That's not a comparison either, unless you are suggesting that the M6 should be compared to all those cars.
More outright dishonesty, no need for comment. It is becoming clear that you are one of those "never admit I'm wrong no matter how much evidence to the contrary is presented" types, and so I'm disinclined to argue with you, instead letting the evidence speak for itself. Case in point" "vs" is shorthand for "versus". Versus is defined as:
ver·sus /ˈvɜrsəs, -səz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vur-suhs, -suhz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–preposition
1. against (used esp. to indicate an action brought by one party against another in a court of law, or to denote competing teams or players in a sports contest): Smith versus Jones; Army versus Navy.
2. as compared to or as one of two choices; in contrast with: traveling by plane versus traveling by train. Abbreviation: v., vs.
[Origin: 1400–50; late ME < L: towards, i.e., turn
ed so as to face (something), opposite, over against, orig. ptp. of vertere to turn; see verse]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
A vs. B vs. C vs. D is, prima facie, a comparison of A, B, C, and D.

Forbes - I don't really care what they have to say about cars. Do you? General (i.e. undedicated to automotive) publications are usually terrible when it comes to car reviews. IMHO, etc etc....
More deflection and evasion. YOU claimed that "I was the only one" who compared the GT3 to the M6. I presented three articles that did so. There are numerous posts on web forums as well comparing the two. Prima facie, your statement was false, and twisting and evasion won't change that.

The speedtv.com article - they did not make the comparison by design (and source the vehicles from the manufacturers for that very purpose), as most bonafide magazines do when they organize a comparo. When they got a GT3 for review, they "by chance, had an M6 in the office." They take both cars to the Nurburgring, where unsurprisngly the GT3 rips the M6 a new one. At the end of the day, however, they did compare the M6 vs. the GT3, by chance or not, so I'll have to grant you that one
Wow, amazing. More sub-atomic hair-splitting, followed by a grudging admission that the article was a comparison. Whether it was by chance or deliberate, the authors clearly felt that a comparison between the cars was a valid one. So you admit that your statement that I am "the only one" who compares that two cars was prima facie false, *and* that a major, respected automotive publication did just that?

Last edited by Improviz; 08-03-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
At the end of the day, who cares about all the numbers, all the tests done from various magazines, or all the videos....it's the owner that have the last laugh. If he's happy, it's a great car!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
At the end of the day, who cares about all the numbers, all the tests done from various magazines, or all the videos....it's the owner that have the last laugh. If he's happy, it's a great car!
+5

Besides....magazines are 65% of the time, right everytime.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:15 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
ah my eyes the pain
Old 08-05-2007, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Indeed C63 is lacking in style.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
C63>m3
Old 08-07-2007, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cntlaw
C63>m3
And C63>MZ4

Put that V8 in the MZ4 and you'll have a monster though. Then watch out because the SLK63 will then come in the mix! SLK63>V8 MZ4

Last edited by ProjectC55; 08-07-2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
$C63>$M3
So what do you expect? Get better value for less money? No way!

BTW keep on comparing apples and apples, no oranges.

Last edited by Dema; 08-07-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dema
$C63>$M3
So what do you expect? Get better value for less money? No way!

BTW keep on comparing apples and apples, no oranges.
Are'nt the two cars in the same class?? When did you find out the price of both V8's as well?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I meant some other post involving Z4M.

Actually some people can see future. But you do not need to be Nostradamus to tell that better car deserves higher $.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
And C63>MZ4

Put that V8 in the MZ4 and you'll have a monster though. Then watch out because the SLK63 will then come in the mix! SLK63>V8 MZ4
Not a single doubt, SLK63 will an exciting upgrade for C55 owners. C63 is close to a W210 weight, weight to power ratio comes down to about the same as the new M3? Locally here, annouced price of the new M3 is double the M3 E46 and close to a 911 price. (Many cancelled their M3 orders) C-class AMG were never been a too good seller in Asia anyway, so we here don't really 'compare' in details like we owners do in the forums. C63 will not be cheaper than the M3, Benz is always more pricey anyway. M3 might be doing a bit better in figures on the track, but that is probably not everyone's concern. As a daily driver, for the same money, I probably will enjoy a 5 seaters and paranomic roof than a big piece of boring carbon fibre. Now not even sure if a coupe is still a fashion if Porsche makes a Panamera? In terms of style, the 3er is always a bit too 'flashing' for Benz lovers; and like it or not, I will feel great to be seen driving a fat fenders C63. For Automatic lovers, we are still not knowing the performance differences of the M3 DSG and the new AMG 7Speed? The M3 is always a more 'prefect' car in the eyes of bimmer lovers. Paying a 911 price, I'll take the Benz because I know I can relax and have real good fun with it if I want to.

Last edited by cntlaw; 08-10-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Car magazines are quite disappointed with C300 handling, I doubt that C63 wil make it much better. So althought C63 will win in drag, it will lose in slalom. Anyway if C63 will $10K more expensive than M3, then I'll take M3.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dema
Car magazines are quite disappointed with C300 handling, I doubt that C63 wil make it much better. So althought C63 will win in drag, it will lose in slalom. Anyway if C63 will $10K more expensive than M3, then I'll take M3.
Perhaps you should actually spend a bit of time perusing the car magazines rather than basing your biased impressions upon past reviews. First, the suspension and chassis are markedly different than the C300. Secondly, according to Motor Trend (see below), the C63 will be priced about the same as (possibly less) than the M3.

Thirdly, several highly respected automotive magazines *have* tested the C63, and have heaped praise upon its handling. Conversely, the new M3 has been getting less-than-favorable reviews.

Here is some truth for you. Hopefully some of it might penetrate the roundel fog that surrounds, but I doubt it...

Autocar tests the C63:
And here’s why. Merc AMGs have always had plenty of power, but they often lack the finesse of BMW M-division models. The new C63 is meant to change all that. New director of development Tobias Moers is promising that he’s left nothing to chance in tackling the new M3 head-on.

The change in philosophy is no better demonstrated than the decision by AMG to equip the C63 with an ESP system that can be switched off completely.

“It was the one thing I really pushed hard to incorporate into the car from the very beginning,” says Moers. “It is essential that our customers can choose to use every last bit of their cars’ performance.”

What’s it like?
So the C63 is unshackled. Does it make any difference? Oh yes. AMG has achieved a tremendous balance between power and poise. As well as being seriously rapid, it also responds intuitively to your actions.

Serious tweaking of the third-generation C-class’s rear-wheel-drive chassis delivers the sort of confidence-inspiring feedback over winding roads that soon prompts you to make the most of the switchable ESP. I can’t remember a more entertaining, more dynamically rounded Mercedes model since the 190 2.5 Evo.

Like almost every new AMG it’s powered by the naturally aspirated 457bhp 6.2-litre V8, but it’s mounted 15mm further back in the engine bay than the normal C-class motors.

AMG’s efforts don’t stop there. The C63 also receives a unique chassis set-up. Central among the changes is the adoption of the front axle from the CLK63 Black Series and greater stiffness at the front end. This delivers sharper turn-in and greater levels of feedback than any current AMG model.

Get moving and there’s the kind of breathtaking acceleration AMG owners have come to expect. This time though it’s underpinned with an athleticism we’ve never seen in an AMG before.

The C63 is terrifically responsive, surprisingly communicative and adjustable on the limit
– hardly how we’d describe its predecessor, whose bold engine dominated proceedings in such a way that it was ultimately to the detriment of the overall driving experience.

Should I buy one?
That’s the 64-million-dollar question, and we won’t be able to answer it until a) we’ve driven the new BMW M3 on the road and b) we’ve pitted this car against it, wheel-to-wheel, over the very same stretch.

But there’s no doubt about it; when pushed hard, the C63 reveals a multifaceted purposefulness that poses a real threat to the supremacy of BMW’s performance icon.

In the dry, on smooth roads, the C63 is magnificent. There’s decent steering weight and loads of information seaming through it. The suspension hunkers down to provide wonderful stability and big levels of confidence in high speed corners.

For all its inherent tautness, the ride is perfectly acceptable even on heavily pockmarked sections of bitumen, with excellent rebound control helping to quickly quell any nasty vertical movement. The front end is superbly damped, too, allowing the C63 to track faithfully without too much unsettling movement over bumps. Before long you find yourself making big demands on the chassis, marvelling at the directness and body control.
Motor Trend tests the C63:
This is the first AMG product to be designed from its computer-conception for extreme performance. Its predecessors (like most AMG models) are essentially tuner specials, with bolted-on performance. This time, practically everything forward of the firewall (except for the two energy-absorbing frame-rail stubs) is unique to AMG. The front track is 1.4-inches wider, standard 18-inch wheels permit larger knuckles, and a new engine cradle accommodates longer diagonal links that completely change the geometry. A lower roll center, for example, helps the car corner flatter while preserving ride quality with an anti-roll bar that's only 0.04-inch thicker. New ball bearings offer twice the rigidity of the stock front-axle bearings. Camber increases from 0.5 to 1.4 degrees and caster is reduced by 15 degrees. The steering ratio tightens from 14.5:1 to 13.5:1, and there are new bearings atop the struts. The effect of all this front-end work is vastly improved steering feel and agility with reduced understeer.

Ah, but Euro-sport sedan love means dancing through esses with the chassis sharing its most intimate secrets via the steering wheel. It's here that AMG takes the most startling swipe at the M3. Turn-in is quick, effort builds naturally with cornering intensity, and the chassis responds in ways that would make a blindfolded Bimmerphile surprised to find a three-pointed star on the airbag cover. There's less of the rim twitching and wiggling that describes road-surface friction in the best Porsches and BMWs, but this may be the best-steering Mercedes extant. The standard six-piston front, four-piston rear, all-steel vented and drilled brakes demonstrated deep reserves of power, and they apply as smoothly as the throttle.

On day two of my drive in one of two AMG development mules, the car was refitted with the Performance Package and race-compound brake pads for hot-lapping at Circuit Paul Ricard. The track's abundant runoff made it an ideal place to test the ESP-off mode, in which the car breaks traction with ample warning and is easy to control. A ride with DTM champ Bernd Schneider at the helm, making liberal use of the FIA curbing demonstrated that the extra-firm (pothole-patrons beware) suspension makes for exceptional body-motion control. It was amazing to watch him sawing at the wheel and applying stabs of throttle and brake to achieve his desired line as friction levels varied around the track. There's clearly no lash in the driveline or steering system.
And get this: the base C63 AMG will cost about $63K-that's at or below the anticipated M3 price.
Edmunds.com tests the C63:
The Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG is making a solid impression at Circuit Paul Ricard in the South of France. In fact, we're wondering if the new BMW M3 will be able to match the C63 AMG's dynamic prowess.

It's not the baritone exhaust note or the straight-line speed but instead the precise handling at the limit that marks the new C63 AMG as a far more sporting proposition than its predecessor, the C55. The new C63 goes beyond the conventions that have defined each and every AMG model for the good part of the past decade, adding a welcome degree of finesse to the driving experience.

On the Track and on the Road
The C63 feels more fluid and better balanced than the C55 ever was. It is an altogether more satisfying and accommodating car to drive, and it responds to driver inputs with added sharpness and a degree of communication no other regular production Mercedes-Benz model offers. As it approaches the limit, the chassis balance is almost neutral, and the dynamic boundaries are clearly defined thanks to the clear messages coming through the steering wheel. Exceptional body control makes cornering a pleasure.

In outright dynamic finesse, the C63 is a far more attractive proposition than the old C55. Indeed, we'd say this car is superior to any other regular Mercedes-Benz model. There's true precision in the way it goes about its business. What's more, it delivers the sort of response you just don't expect from a Mercedes-Benz. In this respect, it is very much a standout.
Car and Driver's first drive of the C63:
And the best proof that AMG’s divining rod is indeed pointing in new directions is a suspension comprehensively dialed in by AMG to (finally!) challenge a BMW for turn-in response, body control, and ride livability.

AMG plans to announce pricing closer to launch, but executives hint that $63,000 is the U.S. goal.
Writing about the M3, Car & Driver sez:
The only thing not in the M3’s favor is its price. Although stickers won’t be finalized for some time, the cost of admission will almost definitely go up. We’re guessing somewhere around $60,000
Btw, just curious: if handling and (presumably) track numbers are what you're after, why would you buy an M3? A Z06 Corvette starts out at $70,000 and will destroy the new M3 on any given track, and acceleration isn't even in the same league.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:44 AM

C32
Besides C and D, no other magazine that I've come across has really called the M3's handling a step up from the previous generation. The biggest problem was the weight gain, which is always a demon for handling.

The C300's review is hardly indicative of the C63 especially since the front subframe and suspension are different. It's not the same as slapping on a sport package and give it a bigger motor.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I'll be happy seeing C63 over handling M3 and having lower price.As an ordinary consumer I like MB over BMW. I really hope that C63 will be better from all sides, because C300/C350 are out of completion with 335.