Sponsored by:

Evo mag - C63 AMG Driven review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Evo mag - C63 AMG Driven review

Evo Nov. edition has just arrived & there's an excellent review of the C63, includes quotes such as:

"In a 4 door saloon this sort of energy feels monstrous......rapid, unstressed, utterly linear manner all the way to the 7200rpm limiter, as 120mph appears from nowhere. Overtakes snap your head back & corners arrive so rapidly that fast sweepers can begin to look a bit tight. It is a seriously, seriously quick car. There are no traction issues either .

It just demolishes roads. Throw the car at a sequence of corners & it moves as one through them, front & rear ends in unison. Grip is huge. It's ground covering ability is up there with the Subarishis.

The C63 has undoubtedly sealed its place alongside the M3 & RS4. No longer is it the obvious bronze medal of the trio. But has it beaten them? In terms of looks, yes. From A to B as quickly as possible, yes. The most enjoyable car....no, not quite. The paddle shift still isn't quite beyond reproach, particularly next to the Bimmer's fantastically slick manual. And brilliant & impressive though the C63's chassis is, the malleability of the BMW still shines through & gets the nod.

Oh, and if I wanted to transport 1500 litres of stuff & have coat hooks on the tailgate? Then yes, I'd have a C63 AMG, because the estate should reach us at the same time as the saloon next summer."

Star rating 4.5 out of 5 (massive power, crushing pace)

Quite impressive eh?

Last edited by E55 Estate Fan; 09-14-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by E55 Estate Fan
Evo Nov. edition has just arrived & there's an excellent review of the C63, includes quotes such as:

"In a 4 door saloon this sort of energy feels monstrous......rapid, unstressed, utterly linear manner all the way to the 7200rpm limiter, as 120mph appears from nowhere. Overtakes snap your head back & corners arrive so rapidly that fast sweepers can begin to look a bit tight. It is a seriously, seriously quick car. There are no traction issues either .

It just demolishes roads. Throw the car at a sequence of corners & it moves as one through them, front & rear ends in unison. Grip is huge. It's ground covering ability is up there with the Subarishis.

The C63 has undoubtedly sealed its place alongside the M3 & RS4. No longer is it the obvious bronze medal of the trio. But has it beaten them? In terms of looks, yes. From A to B as quickly as possible, yes. The most enjoyable car....no, not quite. The paddle shift still isn't quite beyond reproach, particularly next to the Bimmer's fantastically slick manual. And brilliant & impressive though the C63's chassis is, the malleability of the BMW still shines through & gets the nod.

Oh, and if I wanted to transport 1500 litres of stuff & have coat hooks on the tailgate? Then yes, I'd have a C63 AMG, because the estate should reach us at the same time as the saloon next summer."

Quite impressive eh?

I note the only 2 critical points Mr Catchpole broguht up was the electrical differential and the gearbox. The first can be fixed by the sports pack and the 2nd by possibly a DSG style gearbox next year.

Quite a good issue with the 13 car BMW M series shoot out as well and the Gumpert. Next months looks good with the new Lancer Evo as well

Regards

Andy
Old 09-17-2007, 06:09 AM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Originally Posted by Andy7oaks
I note the only 2 critical points Mr Catchpole broguht up was the electrical differential and the gearbox. The first can be fixed by the sports pack and the 2nd by possibly a DSG style gearbox next year.

Quite a good issue with the 13 car BMW M series shoot out as well and the Gumpert. Next months looks good with the new Lancer Evo as well

Regards

Andy
Yes the C63 looks very promising. Loved the ultimate M-car shootout. Truly outstanding photography as always. Those roads in South Wales look great fun. I've been lucky enough to have owned 2 of the M5 cars, e34 & e39, but not, as yet the overall winner the e30 M3
Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
I still couldn't find this edition at the bookstore.
OTOH, Top Gear magazine otcober issue is awesome.

Last edited by 360_iti; 09-17-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:39 AM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Originally Posted by 360_iti
I still couldn't find this edition at the bookstore.
OTOH, Top Gear magazine otcober issue is awesome.
I get it delivered direct to me (& before it arrives in the shops) by subscribing to Evo. You might want to consider doing the same. www.subsinfo.co.uk or www.evo.co.uk

Regards

Chris
Old 09-18-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Andy,
If C63 Amg comes up with a DSG style box in 2009 , 2008 owners may not be happy since they may not be able to upgrade to that box and especialy since DSG style box may really be much better than the 7 speed automatic
Old 09-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by smjc_99
Andy,
If C63 Amg comes up with a DSG style box in 2009 , 2008 owners may not be happy since they may not be able to upgrade to that box and especialy since DSG style box may really be much better than the 7 speed automatic
True,

But AMG have hinted something is in the works. You cannot stop progress.

Like engine sizes, hopefully we will have an 8 litre V8 by 2015 and 400g km CO2. Oh, bugger I see a problem, oh well until they force it upon us enjoy !

Regards

Andy
Old 09-22-2007, 04:11 PM

Quite impressive eh?
That's good enough for me, I'm buying one!
Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM

C32 AMG - in Pewter

"In a 4 door saloon this sort of energy feels monstrous......

The C63 has undoubtedly sealed its place alongside the M3 & RS4. No longer is it the obvious bronze medal of the trio. But has it beaten them? In terms of looks, yes. From A to B as quickly as possible, yes. ....."

:
If I read correctly - it is the fastest car - based on the A to B statement, regardless of it is a straight or a curvy road: so no ifs and buts like before. Add to this ride smoothness (relative) and everything else they praised - who is the winner? The BMW loyals will ultimately stick to the manual stick argument (SDG or just time may change this) - a straw is to be found if looking for one I am not implying that the mag is biased but we are now threading in a highly subjective territory to define "most enjoyable" Let's see what other mags will say...

Last edited by gkstar; 09-23-2007 at 11:56 AM.