Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Package P030

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Package P030

Hello all, have not posted in a very long time. I have been reading many a thread about the performance package but noticed something interesting when I went to my dealer yesterday.

Apparently, according to the dealer's computer, the option of P030 performance package for 2009 C63 AMG's only lists the limited slip differential and top speed limit raise to 186 mph. That is it. It does not mention two piece rotors with aluminum centers and iron discs; it does not mention the alcantara race wheel; it does not mention any suspension tuning at all.

Is the documentation in the computer screwed up, or has AMG and MBUSA listened to the reviews that have said the suspension of the performance package is painfully hard and would not recommmend it? I have even read one article that said if the package didn't include the suspension that it would be a no brainer to purchase it.

Admittedly these guys aren't the most knowledgeable, and this contradicts everything every review has ever said before about the contents of the package. But...it does make you wonder.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by rguy
Hello all, have not posted in a very long time. I have been reading many a thread about the performance package but noticed something interesting when I went to my dealer yesterday.

Apparently, according to the dealer's computer, the option of P030 performance package for 2009 C63 AMG's only lists the limited slip differential and top speed limit raise to 186 mph. That is it. It does not mention two piece rotors with aluminum centers and iron discs; it does not mention the alcantara race wheel; it does not mention any suspension tuning at all.

Is the documentation in the computer screwed up, or has AMG and MBUSA listened to the reviews that have said the suspension of the performance package is painfully hard and would not recommmend it? I have even read one article that said if the package didn't include the suspension that it would be a no brainer to purchase it.

Admittedly these guys aren't the most knowledgeable, and this contradicts everything every review has ever said before about the contents of the package. But...it does make you wonder.
Rob Allan, MBUSA AMG product manager, confirmed composite brakes, suspension mods and alcantara wheel are part of the C63-030 package on last week's AMG Private Lounge chat.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
Originally Posted by whoover
Rob Allan, MBUSA AMG product manager, confirmed composite brakes, suspension mods and alcantara wheel are part of the C63-030 package on last week's AMG Private Lounge chat.
making it the best bargain AMG has ever offered
Old 04-03-2008, 05:56 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Be careful about using the terminology "composite brakes". A lot of people used that same terminology with the CLK Black Series and it tuned out to simply mean a 2 piece rotor. It definitely saves weight and is a good thing but some people thought that it meant ceramic rotors but it does not. The are still metal.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
What exactly do they mean by "composite" anyway?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
What exactly do they mean by "composite" anyway?
Just as rguy stated: two piece rotors with aluminum centers and iron discs. They call these composite because of the two materials. And yes, Porsche calls their ceramic discs composite brakes as well. We just need to deal with it. Ceramic brakes are great, until you need to replace a rotor. The front brake job for my S65, with MB (two metal) composite brakes is $3,000. That's bad. The brake job on a Porsche with ceramic composite brakes can be $15,000. That's worse.

But there's no doubt an 030 brakes will cost a lot more to maintain than the base C63 brakes. Something to keep in mind, along with the increased rear tire wear from the LSD.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Just as rguy stated: two piece rotors with aluminum centers and iron discs. They call these composite because of the two materials. And yes, Porsche calls their ceramic discs composite brakes as well. We just need to deal with it. Ceramic brakes are great, until you need to replace a rotor. The front brake job for my S65, with MB (two metal) composite brakes is $3,000. That's bad. The brake job on a Porsche with ceramic composite brakes can be $15,000. That's worse.

But there's no doubt an 030 brakes will cost a lot more to maintain than the base C63 brakes. Something to keep in mind, along with the increased rear tire wear from the LSD.
Thanks whoover. Perfect explanation. I officially pass on the 030 option!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350

Great info, Whoover
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
at the same time, keep in mind
aftermarket LSD usually 1.5k+
steering wheel usually easily 1k
people flash ecu to loose governer easily 1k

so getting the P030 is great value, free suspension and brake upgrades easily
not to mention how much P030 costs on different models
Old 04-03-2008, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Eurosport
at the same time, keep in mind
aftermarket LSD usually 1.5k+
steering wheel usually easily 1k
people flash ecu to loose governer easily 1k

so getting the P030 is great value, free suspension and brake upgrades easily
not to mention how much P030 costs on different models
It is a good value. But I will probably pass it up as well when I retire my wife's C55. Maintenance costs are part of the reason. But the main reason is that it's my wife's car, and all reports point to the 030 suspension being too stiff for her daily driver. If I can swing it, I'll have her drive both and see but I suspect I know what the outcome will be. Those are the downsides of the 030: wear on the tires, brakes and kidneys.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 BMW M3, MB C63 On Order
Originally Posted by rguy
...Apparently, according to the dealer's computer, the option of P030 performance package for 2009 C63 AMG's only lists the limited slip differential and top speed limit raise to 186 mph. That is it. It does not mention two piece rotors with aluminum centers and iron discs; it does not mention the alcantara race wheel; it does not mention any suspension tuning at all.

NetStar computer info is notorius for having incomplete information on new options. I asked a salesman the same thing. "What? No upgraded brakes or stiffer suspension?" He said "Nope. It's not listed on NetStar so that's all that's included in the option". I knew better.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people who sell cars for a living are less informed than their customers.

I would order the LSD and increased speed limiter as stand alone options. But I will not order the 030 option because the stiffer suspension can only make the ride comfort worse. And that is the one consistent complaint from most people who drive the car.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by WolfAMG
NetStar computer info is notorius for having incomplete information on new options. I asked a salesman the same thing. "What? No upgraded brakes or stiffer suspension?" He said "Nope. It's not listed on NetStar so that's all that's included in the option". I knew better.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people who sell cars for a living are less informed than their customers.

I would order the LSD and increased speed limiter as stand alone options. But I will not order the 030 option because the stiffer suspension can only make the ride comfort worse. And that is the one consistent complaint from most people who drive the car.
What the hell is wrong with MB in not seeing this (bolded text)?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
True that ceramic disc cost more to replace but they'll out last the car. A reason the Porsche guys don't like them is that you have to be very very careful when changing out the tire because if you accidently bump the disc, they'll chip and you have to replace them.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 PM

2000 BMW M5
Thats true, but completely irrelevant as the C63 is not getting Ceramic Composite brakes. Just Composite.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Most of the higher end brake MB brake owners actually swap out to the brembo kit because of the great cost of rotors!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
It's really weird that the NetStar is still not stating the entire list. Almost all references online indicate that the P30 package will have LSD + stiffer suspension + raised top-speed limiter + composite brakes. I really hope that Mercedes doesn't decide to limit U.S. vehicles with P30 to just the top-speed limiter + LSD
Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 PM

Torch Red Shelby GT 500
How much is the price of the Package? I also thought you got the 19's with the package or is that just in Europe.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 AM

C63
Ok... so LCD just makes there more traction on the tires which is for better handling? Stiffer suspension which is better handling? If i am right that those both help with handling then the reason they are doing this is to compete with the M3 around the track.. Since the M3 is amazing at handling would it feel as uncomfortable as a 030 C63 2009?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

you mean LSD. Most of the comparisons have been with the 19's and PP= LSD and 2 piece rotors
Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 PM

C63
doesn't answer my question...
Old 04-09-2008, 03:05 AM

2009 C63
the m3 has three different setting for suspension. If set to the stiffest setting im sure itll be comparable to the 030 c63, but it also has a comfort setting that supposed to be very smooth
Old 04-09-2008, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by zivicirl
Ok... so LCD just makes there more traction on the tires which is for better handling? Stiffer suspension which is better handling? If i am right that those both help with handling then the reason they are doing this is to compete with the M3 around the track.. Since the M3 is amazing at handling would it feel as uncomfortable as a 030 C63 2009?
If you define "handling" as lower lap times on a challenging track, yes more traction and suspension recalibration can help. (I would argue that an LSD would lower lap times by helping to get more power to the track, but doesn't improve handling. In fact, it will introduce handling anomalies that take some skill to overcome.)

But neither will overcome the main advantage of the M3 chassis: balance. A lighter powerplant gives the M3 a perfect 50-50 weight distribution, and that's what the track comparos show to be the trump card.

If track performance is your main measure, it will be hard to beat the M3 with any C63.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM

08 CLS63
Originally Posted by GBlansten
What the hell is wrong with MB in not seeing this (bolded text)?
Agreed. Its the biggest drawback in my opinion.