C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cadillac CTS-V = 556 hp , 551 lb ft (at 3,800)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 BMW M3 White/Black
Cadillac CTS-V = 556 hp , 551 lb ft (at 3,800)

The 2009 CTS-V will officially be rated at 556 horsepower, hit 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and run the quarter mile in 12 seconds flat.

Not an AMG, but this is the new King of the hp Hill...
Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Article?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/09/2...56-horsepower/

We thought Bentley's announcement earlier today that it's adding a Speed model to the Continental Flying Spur lineup was exciting news for sedan fans. After all, a 600bhp saloon that can hit 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and reach 200 MPH is pretty exciting, no? Not really when compared to Cadillac's news that the 2009 CTS-V will officially be rated at 556 horsepower, hit 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and run the quarter mile in 12 seconds flat. No offense to Bentley, but a sub-3-second sedan is about as exciting as it can get on a Monday. For the record, the Edmunds' Straightline Blog reports that the sport sedan's 6.2L supercharged V8 will produce 556 hp at 6,100 rpm and 551 pound-feet of torque at 3,800 rpm. That engine is the LSA, derived from the new Corvette ZR1's LS9 motor and detuned for duty in the CTS-V. Fortunately, the LSA wasn't detuned too much and the '09 CTS-V should destroy its German competition, specifically the BMW M5 with its - can't believe we're saying this - relatively meager 500-hp 5.0L V10.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
While it's very cool that GM didn't hold back on power ... how many major components on this car are new? Engine, transmission, diff? I dunno.... but I wouldn't bet on the first year of this car being trouble-free. A friend of mine lemon-lawed his CTS-V and his problems (whiny diff) were common in the last-gen car. I got a chance to drive that last-gen car and I thought it handled very well for what it was.

I took a good look at the new CTS at the Auto show and it's very nice, but a little big for me.

Resale should be poor, so see what reliability is and pick up a used one if you must.....

Last edited by Hans Delbruck; 06-09-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 PM

08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
Very good- but that silver chrome type fender trim still kills this whole car....HP isnt everything
Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

AMGs
That's FAST.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
While it's very cool that GM didn't hold back on power ... how many major components on this car are new? Engine, transmission, diff? I dunno.... but I wouldn't bet on the first year of this car being trouble-free. A friend of mine lemon-lawed his CTS-V and his problems (whiny diff) were common in the last-gen car. I got a chance to drive that last-gen car and I thought it handled very well for what it was.

I took a good look at the new CTS at the Auto show and it's very nice, but a little big for me.

Resale should be poor, so see what reliability is and pick up a used one if you must.....
Lots of parts came from the Vett which are already proven. A quote from the article.

"CTS-V also manages power via an extremely robust driveline. The car's limited-slip differential is made of cast iron for extreme strength. Its limited-slip tuning enables excellent high-speed stability along with comfortable low-speed maneuverability. The prop shaft is heavy-duty and wheel hub bearings are stiffened and bolstered to manage the car's remarkable energy. Axle half-shafts are asymmetrical, a design that ensures smooth performance."

Last edited by Satan; 06-09-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
its a great car.... no doubt...its gonna be very modifible too!!! But being american dunno how reliable it will be.. we shall see.... There were bunch of problems with previous cts v.

Plus C63 can also bring some hp....

Titled the MKB 63/8, the tuning package increases power in your beloved AMG C-Class from its standard 336 kW/457 hp and 600 Nm of torque to a staggering 417 kW/567 hp and 673Nm of torque. The result is a 0-62 mph time of just 4.2 seconds (standard C63 AMG 0-62 mph time is 4.5 seconds) while top speed comes in at 183 mph (standard C63 AMG is limited to 155 mph).

Last edited by BoBcanada; 06-09-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Mercedes are not the most reliable cars either....
Old 06-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Almost a Member!

C63
i think its really exciting that america is building this car. the horsepower does not surprise me, but the fact that it put up a blistering lap in germany is astounding. i hope this car does well.

visually the interior isn't doing it for me (i have only seen pics). it'll definately be worth a look.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:13 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
its a great car.... no doubt...its gonna be very modifible too!!! But being american dunno how reliable it will be.. we shall see.... There were bunch of problems with previous cts v.

Titled the MKB 63/8, the tuning package increases power in your beloved AMG C-Class from its standard 336 kW/457 hp and 600 Nm of torque to a staggering 417 kW/567 hp and 673Nm of torque. The result is a 0-62 mph time of just 4.2 seconds (standard C63 AMG 0-62 mph time is 4.5 seconds) while top speed comes in at 183 mph (standard C63 AMG is limited to 155 mph).
It'll be just as reliable as all the Canadian built cars being brought into the states. Camaro/Firebird etc...
Old 06-09-2008, 05:15 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Originally Posted by mcc3456
The 2009 CTS-V will officially be rated at 556 horsepower, hit 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and run the quarter mile in 12 seconds flat.

Am I the only one finding it hard to believe such a big, heavy, rear-wheel drive, stock tire'd car getting to 60 in 3.5 seconds? That is fast. I would have expected a low 12 in the quarter with a really high trap speed, but that 3.5 number is fantastic...if true.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:16 PM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

The rear diff was the only REAL problem with the car. Made out of aluminum it wasn't holding up to drag race starts. If you just road course the car though you'll have no problems. There is an aftermarket solution now for those wishing to extract more power.

As far as resale, I looked at an E55 AMG earlier this year. 2005 models going for low low $50k. Not too good.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:19 PM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by clktoc63
Am I the only one finding it hard to believe such a big, heavy, rear-wheel drive, stock tire'd car getting to 60 in 3.5 seconds? That is fast. I would have expected a low 12 in the quarter with a really high trap speed, but that 3.5 number is fantastic...if true.
The car has a special launch control that allows the car to completely squat in the rear if the car detects full throttle from a stop. Magnetic shocks "let go" and the tires just dig DEEP into the pavement. Still hard to believe a RWD 4100lb car get to 60 in 3.5 seconds though.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio

I'm ready for it now. I'll be close to 600bhp when my next minor mods are done next week.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
I'm going to give it a serious look for sure. Got a very good relationship with a local Caddy dealer and is willing to let me have it without mark up. Am worried on the fit and finish, but the techno gadgets should be light years ahead.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:59 PM

2009 C63 K1

A friend of mine is also in the process of trying to get his CTS-V labeled as a lemon. It has been in the shop repeatedly and now he cannot even drive it until the process is over. GM sedan? NO THANK YOU!!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S55 AMG silver

This figures are all over the place, left lane news has it at 3.9 seconds and 12.3 on the 1/4 mile.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S55 AMG silver
Originally Posted by yaymitch
A friend of mine is also in the process of trying to get his CTS-V labeled as a lemon. It has been in the shop repeatedly and now he cannot even drive it until the process is over. GM sedan? NO THANK YOU!!
Have you heard the horror stories on trying to get MB to buy back it's Lemon's?

Although every manufacturer has it's problems, cadillac is going to have a hard time getting 70K for their small sedan after the initial demand.

I for one would not buy this car, but one cannot overlook it's incredible performance potential.

I also am glad to see Cadillac's return to making the great cars they were known for 60 years ago.

Overall the American auto industry has realized that they need to make a product that americans are willing to buy again, and they are getting there, they still have a long way to go, to change perceptions after 30 yrs. of building and selling us crap.

Performance is not the only reason why we on this board buy MB's, is the little things built in our MB's like wipers that are superb in any weather, the way the doors close, all the passive safety, brakes that keep themselves dry, etc.

This are the little things that affect the driving and ownership experience, and that many non MB owners, plain just don't get.

The reality is that the whole package is what does it for me, there are few cars in the world, at any price point that compare to an S class AMG, and when I get in it, I have to pinch myself because I'm fortunate enough to drive one.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:55 PM

CLK 500(Gone), C63 FTW!
Originally Posted by iceman4149

Although every manufacturer has it's problems, cadillac is going to have a hard time getting 70K for their small sedan after the initial demand.

I for one would not buy this car, but one cannot overlook it's incredible performance potential.

I also am glad to see Cadillac's return to making the great cars they were known for 60 years ago.

Overall the American auto industry has realized that they need to make a product that americans are willing to buy again, and they are getting there, they still have a long way to go, to change perceptions after 30 yrs. of building and selling us crap.

Performance is not the only reason why we on this board buy MB's, is the little things built in our MB's like wipers that are superb in any weather, the way the doors close, all the passive safety, brakes that keep themselves dry, etc.
This are the little things that affect the driving and ownership experience, and that many non MB owners, plain just don't get.

The reality is that the whole package is what does it for me, there are few cars in the world, at any price point that compare to an S class AMG, and when I get in it, I have to pinch myself because I'm fortunate enough to drive one.
Couldnt agree more
The Cady got a very nice numbers tho
Old 06-09-2008, 08:28 PM

2009 C63 K1

My last four cars have been BMW's and I have had almost no problems with them. I am jumping to MB because after reading reviews and seeing the C63, the M3 seems boring. MB will successfully steal some faithful BMW owners with the C63. If the reliability is good then BMW will have to start worrying. Currently, the M3 outsells all of the AMG cars put together but I think the C63 may begin to change that.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by yaymitch
My last four cars have been BMW's and I have had almost no problems with them. I am jumping to MB because after reading reviews and seeing the C63, the M3 seems boring. MB will successfully steal some faithful BMW owners with the C63. If the reliability is good then BMW will have to start worrying. Currently, the M3 outsells all of the AMG cars put together but I think the C63 may begin to change that.

Yeap... MB got me to switch camps with the C63. I've owned 2 BMWs and didn't have a single problem with either of them.

Switching from BMW to MB for a "sports sedan" was a big enough step for me.... no way I could jump all the way to Cadillac!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:17 PM

'81 Mondial 8
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
The rear diff was the only REAL problem with the car. Made out of aluminum it wasn't holding up to drag race starts. If you just road course the car though you'll have no problems. There is an aftermarket solution now for those wishing to extract more power.
Exactly right - my car had 4 [!] diffs within 11k miles. Yes, mine was supercharged and I drove it in a 'spirited' manner, but the piece was not designed to handle hard launches or the torque that mine was putting out. I never experienced a catastrophic failure, but the 'whine' was consistent. I have no doubt that the problem has been corrected in the '09 model.

SeattleBum - I see you're selling yours, too. Getting ready for the '09, or you have something else in mind?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by BoBcanada

Yes, BoB, the C63 is so fast it blurs the spacetime continuum. Heard of Status 8? https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...eeter+warranty
And there is also this https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....7&postcount=18

Last edited by Carl Lassiter; 06-10-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 AM

2015 BMW M3 White/Black

Ignorance is Bliss!

No offense Pal, but I was a Previous Mercedes owner and looked to become a repeat buyer, but when I tested the 2005 E-Class, that is exactly why I became a Non-MB buyer. I am onboard with the C63, but aside from that, the little things are not cutting across the board with Benz' (i.e. they are what they used to be quality-wise). Have you looked at M-B standard issue leather lately? It is practically the same thing as M-B Tex. Those are the little things, and M-B is not good at them. How about placing the turn indicator stalk below the cruise control stalk...What idiot thought of that? Oh...and don't forget failing to put a ski sack in the C63, or even the lack of LSD and Parktronic in the C Class (for US models). Those ARE the little things.

If you want to look at perfect execution of the "little things", I suggest you go visit your local BMW and Audi dealer. They know how to execute, pretty much across the entire product range!

Not to be too negative on M-B, but come on, let's call a spade a spade! It is nice car but no longer the world standard. I and a lot of former M-B Owners rank it number 3 behind BMW and Audi. M-B is getting better but has a long road to hoe to regain the crown.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cadillac CTS-V = 556 hp , 551 lb ft (at 3,800)