C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Cloth / MB Tex Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
Cloth / MB Tex Seats

I suspect that I am in the small minority who prefer the cloth / MB Tex seats. I ordered my 09 with these standard seats. MB says that they will be a late availability item. Should be available in September. Anyone else have any information on these?

TEAShea
Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 BMW 650ci
yes i have some information on them...

they are hideous looking, and will make the car look very cheap and tacky IMHO

i cant understand why somone would wanna get an AMG, and skimp out on what may be one of the cars best features.....those awesoem seats !!!!

i can understand getting the cloth if youre trying to save loot (in that case an AMG might not be for you)

but to "preferr" the cloth seats to these is just insanity

here is one recent pic i found

Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM

2009 C63
I disagree with Last Emperor... but to each his own. I think the cloth seat pictures i have seen make the seats look really good. The only real test would be to see them in real life.
I have also lived in cold environments and when in such an area there are many times i wish I had cloth seats....
Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
feel free to dissagree of course....to each is own like you said, and thats just my honest opinion

but i think the MB text looks weak

they couldve atleast made it a solid black color, i hate the little design that they use

also , the seats look like the leather ones, with just the centers removed, and replaced with tex
Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Last Emperor
feel free to dissagree of course....to each is own like you said, and thats just my honest opinion

but i think the MB text looks weak

they couldve atleast made it a solid black color, i hate the little design that they use

also , the seats look like the leather ones, with just the centers removed, and replaced with tex
MB-tex is pleather. That's just cloth w/ MB-tex sides.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 PM

c63
I have an 09 c63 with the cloth seats that was built 7-21 and is enroute to the U.S. as we speak. no delays
Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by AsianML
MB-tex is pleather. That's just cloth w/ MB-tex sides.
OH is it????

so even the leather part of the seats is not the same leather as the full leather seats??
Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
yes i have some information on them...

they are hideous looking, and will make the car look very cheap and tacky IMHO

i cant understand why somone would wanna get an AMG, and skimp out on what may be one of the cars best features.....those awesoem seats !!!!

i can understand getting the cloth if youre trying to save loot (in that case an AMG might not be for you)

but to "preferr" the cloth seats to these is just insanity

here is one recent pic i found

It is not a cost or quality item. Cloth seats hold you in place during spirited driving. Leather seats act like a slip'n'slide when you start throwing the car around. Sure there are big bolsters but you still flop about. M3 lightweight E36's had cloth for a reason as do other sport based cars. If you want that snug fit the cloth is for you!

Also in warm climates cloth seats breath while leather leads to a sweaty shirt upon arrival at your business meeting. Since MB has nixed cooling seats on most cars (other than the top rung cars) cloth allows you a way to stay cool and dry in warm climates.

Sure its cheap but I think its kind of nice. Not sure I would order it but charging an AMG customer 2-3k for some leather seems seems insane. Kind of like charging for xenon lights on a 60k car when its standard on most 35k cars these days.

BMW offers cloth seats on the M3 so MB followed suit.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
OH is it????

so even the leather part of the seats is not the same leather as the full leather seats??
No it is text not leather.

I hear the quality of the stitching where the text and cloth meet is pretty terrible. A car arrived at the port on the east coast about a month ago and I hear it was quite amusing. That is sad since it is an interesting option.

If you get cloth however make sure its a lease car. No one will want a cloth seat car when you sell it used!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I guess the "Emperor" has never been to Vegas or Phoenix during the summer. Leather doesn't last here in the Southwest. In a couple of years, the seats will wear badly. At least the Tex will last much longer and the cloth will be more comfortable.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by Sincity
I guess the "Emperor" has never been to Vegas or Phoenix during the summer. Leather doesn't last here in the Southwest. In a couple of years, the seats will wear badly. At least the Tex will last much longer and the cloth will be more comfortable.
yea i know black leather is rough, especially in the summer

in NYC it gets pretty hot in the summer too

but im not buying the car im leasing, so i dont think the eather will be damaged 2-3 years from now

also, those of you looking to keep the car, good luck selling it with cloth seats
Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

in NYC it gets pretty hot in the summer too

And sticky too!

When I bought the C320, we ordered it without a sunroof. We really only have two seasons here: summer and winter. I don't understand the point of buying a convertible in Vegas either.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
They should have done an alcantara/MB tex option instead of cloth/MB tex.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I've got black nappa leather in two AMGs that I drive in a very spirited manner. The leather feels great and I have never once slid. My guess is the coefficient of friction is comparable to cloth. I've driven one though Death Valley and wouldn't recommend turning the air conditioning off there with any interior. With it on, I never felt sticky or slidey. I would also wager that the leather holds up better than the cloth inserts over the long haul.

On the plus side for the vinyl/cloth interior: no cows are harmed.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by AsianML
They should have done an alcantara/MB tex option instead of cloth/MB tex.
The cloth/vinyl interior is about cost, this discussion notwithstanding. Using an expensive material like alcantara with vinyl makes no sense.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whoover
. I would also wager that the leather holds up better than the cloth inserts over the long haul.

On the plus side for the vinyl/cloth interior: no cows are harmed.
The problem with leather in the Southwest is due to cracking. We only had between 4-8% humidity last night. Even with religious applications of leather treatment, it'll still crack here in the desert.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by whoover
The cloth/vinyl interior is about cost, this discussion notwithstanding. Using an expensive material like alcantara with vinyl makes no sense.
MB put Mb tex/alcantara seats on the W164 with the Appearance package.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 PM

2006 BMW 330i, 2009 C63
I don't think we have an option to get the cloth seats in Canada.

George
Old 07-25-2008, 01:46 AM

09 C63 (Coming Soon)
Not only are the seats ugly, but you also miss out on power adjustable seats/steering wheel without the leather package. The leather AMG seats in the C63 are SOOOO dope.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by Arctic White
Not only are the seats ugly, but you also miss out on power adjustable seats/steering wheel without the leather package. The leather AMG seats in the C63 are SOOOO dope.
couldnt agree more!

can you imagine a 65k car with out power seats...weak !
Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM

2005 Renntech C class
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
It is not a cost or quality item. Cloth seats hold you in place during spirited driving. Leather seats act like a slip'n'slide when you start throwing the car around. Sure there are big bolsters but you still flop about. M3 lightweight E36's had cloth for a reason as do other sport based cars. If you want that snug fit the cloth is for you!

Also in warm climates cloth seats breath while leather leads to a sweaty shirt upon arrival at your business meeting. Since MB has nixed cooling seats on most cars (other than the top rung cars) cloth allows you a way to stay cool and dry in warm climates.

Sure its cheap but I think its kind of nice. Not sure I would order it but charging an AMG customer 2-3k for some leather seems seems insane. Kind of like charging for xenon lights on a 60k car when its standard on most 35k cars these days.

BMW offers cloth seats on the M3 so MB followed suit.
i agree with ya - I'd consider cloth if they made better looking patterns...

I'd put in a race bucket in an m3 myself though =)
Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by dorikin_86
i agree with ya - I'd consider cloth if they made better looking patterns...

I'd put in a race bucket in an m3 myself though =)
I sat in a E46 M3 last night that had special order cloth MTechnic seats and it was brilliant. The seats held you in place and the style left you feeling like it was something special not something cheap. I agree the quality of the fabric makes the difference. On the M3 they still use leather on the side bolsters. In reality though MB Text is such a good knock off that you dont need leather. I just with the cloth were more impressive on the cloth car.

As for a racing shell? Nothing beat an Sparco SPG. Even when driven daily its 100x more comfortable than the best factory seats and you have such support.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Almost a Member!

i like how people are making judgments without actually seeing the seats in person, or sitting in them. the e90/e92 m3 cloth seats are actually really nice barring concerns about resale value.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
couldnt agree more!

can you imagine a 65k car with out power seats...weak !
I like a GT3 RS for 150k with manual seats. Or the CLK DTM for that matter.

BMW's from a few years ago had MANUAL seats when you ordered the sports package. The felt it saved weight and allowed for more precise adjustment of the seat.

I cant imagine a car that MB thinks any AMG car should be Sold with the LSD as an optional extra!