Sponsored by:

When to buy in a particular model year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pathfinder
When to buy in a particular model year

Hey guys, I am in the process of researching a C63 purchase, targeting Apr-May next year for acquisition.

I was going to get a 2009 model, but my question is, does it make sense to wait for the 2010 model from a depreciation perspective. If I plan to lease, won't the dealer lower the residual value as the model year plays out?

Lower residual values = higher monthly payments.

To counter, typically you can get bigger discounts off current model year cars when new model years roll around, but does that logic apply to a car like the C63?

Even if I were purchasing, would it be better to acquire a car at the start of it's model year? Reason is, when you look at used car ADs, you can't really tell the age of the car, all you can see if the model year. So why not get the most and buy at the start of the model year?

In my case, that may mean waiting another 3 months till Aug for 2010...

Or, is this all BS???
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything with BOOST
When considering leasing, the residual value is not set by the dealer it is set by the lender. The lower the end value of the C will generally equate to a higher monthly payment given the initial price doesn't change. IMO, I would go ahead with the '09 (which has just been released) as interest rates will probably increase for '10 and the price of C63 will undoubtedly increase next year. Hopefully, the market will remain strong for the 63 and everyone will be standing in line to get one, (low supply & high demmand). But most importantly you can start enjoying the car now and be one of the first! Typically resale value is normally higher at the begining of a model run. Enjoy.