So the M3 does better in the track tests with:
-electronic struts
-wider tires
-variable LSD

I really wonder if the C63 can be made into an M3 beater with:
-coilovers
-Performance package (has LSD)
-wider tires and better alignment
-stiffer sways??? does someone sell stiffer sways for this car???

I'm coming from a past of track weapons but for the 350 days I'm not spending at the track, I think the C63 would be a phenomenal car for the family/work. My concern is that I'm going to be disappointed on the track with the AMG.

I did test drive the car last night, it was very limited, and I was very impressed with the tranny - I'm a die hard manual guy and thought the tranny in the AMG was very good.

So... can we beat the M3 on track?

Be good,
TomK

My past rides...
Current daily driver STI at Limerock... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkHQW_LSg_g&feature=user

Current track car at Pocono... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoTJsKHKx_8
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Im sure with any mods the car will only get better. Well not just any mods but you know what im getting at. As for will it out track the M3? Well only one way to find out right. You are also concerned about being disapointed on the track. I would say dont give it another thought. You wont be disapointed even if you dont beat an M3 on track. This car is way too much fun anyway.
Beside you can always intimidate the M3 with a few burnouts and exhaust notes.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
If you have the track calibrated AMG suspension, I would not worry too much about doing coilovers and other things. I would however get some new wider tires and run at least 285 in the rear.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in Black group-NASA/PDA
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
If you have the track calibrated AMG suspension, I would not worry too much about doing coilovers and other things. I would however get some new wider tires and run at least 285 in the rear.
Without fail, all my past cars needed solutions that surpassed what the factory offered...perhaps the AMG crew will be different.

The 285s...will they fit? Hell, I'd mount 315s if they'd fit...
Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
285 should fit. I can't remember how wide the current rim is, but from what I can recall there is enough room back there. Even up front you can run some 255's.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Of course the C63 can be a decent HPDE track car. But I'm sure you also realize that you simply cannot drive it the same way as you drive your Elise around a track simply because the C63 is much, much heavier. A "slow in, fast out" approach will be better suited for a car like the C63.

I track my C55 a few times each year. It is competitive with the previous generation E46 M3 such that it really boils down to driver skill rather than the cars themselves to determine which one is faster. I know because I often go tracking with a BMW group with lots of E46 M3's. In other words, I pass some E46 M3's and some E46 M3's pass me (usually drivers with much more experience and on R-compound tires). I'm sure the C63 is even better, except that the C63 is a few hundred pounds heavier than the C55, which may make quick transitions/very tight slow turns more challenging.

The only "problem" is that head-to-head testing of laptimes around a track show that the gap between the C63 and E90/E92 M3 is LARGER than the very small gap that was between the C55 and E46 M3. But these are pro drivers (or presumeably very experienced auto journalists) doing the testing. I actually think a car like the C63 is probably easier to drive fast around a track for the AVERAGE driver than the E90/E92 M3 because the C63 has a such a larger acceleration advantage when coming out of corners.

Here are 2 in-car videos of my previous track days in a C55.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSRDSF5kcv8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emHI6Cn0PLM
Old 07-31-2008, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by ace996
So the M3 does better in the track tests with:
-electronic struts
-wider tires
-variable LSD

I really wonder if the C63 can be made into an M3 beater with:
-coilovers
-Performance package (has LSD)
-wider tires and better alignment
-stiffer sways??? does someone sell stiffer sways for this car???

I'm coming from a past of track weapons but for the 350 days I'm not spending at the track, I think the C63 would be a phenomenal car for the family/work. My concern is that I'm going to be disappointed on the track with the AMG.

I did test drive the car last night, it was very limited, and I was very impressed with the tranny - I'm a die hard manual guy and thought the tranny in the AMG was very good.

So... can we beat the M3 on track?

Be good,
TomK

My past rides...
Current daily driver STI at Limerock... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkHQW_LSg_g&feature=user

Current track car at Pocono... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoTJsKHKx_8
From someone who has tried to make an amg track friendly car and done well with it I say go with an EVO MR or M3 if track days are important to you

You can break the bank on suspension work but the geometry on an AMG car is just not what you find on a M car or an EVO. Its not meant for that world.

Will it do ok at the tack sure but it will destroy tires in a day and leave you shopping for brake pads far to frequently.

I know many people here will say you can drive an amg car at the track just fine but if you want to chase the clock and drive that car at the honest limit it will just eat parts like the cookie monster. For some reason all mercedes cars love to just polish the writing right off the side of the tire. They all just love to understeer and bars, coil overs and alignment specs will only get you so far.

So if you want an AMG car great the C63 is a wonderful car but dont expect it to feel at home on the track. It will lap the track fairly well but it wont be an M3 with any amount of work IMHO.