Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
New shifters for BMW's

I just saw this on www.autoblog.com

I cant believe what an idiot you have to be if you need this.
You have no business driving a stick if you need this kind of help.

If you want to see the image go to Autoblog, but hear is a copy of the artical.

Over a year ago we told you about the Indy-Cator, an LCD-equipped shift knob that displayed your gear selection. Now, the German tuning powerhouse AC Schnitzer has come up with its own version for BMWs and MINIs, and we're still left wondering if it has any practical use.

According to AC, drivers have to rely solely on feel to know which gear they're in at any given time (gasp), so the digital display takes all that pesky guesswork out of gear selection. The red LED on the shift knob has a light sensor which dims or brightens the display depending on conditions, matches the stock interior lighting, features a position sensor and can be installed in just a few minutes.

AC Schnitzer hasn't released pricing, but just like the Indy-Cator, its worth is in the hand of the beholder.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
AC Schitzer prices their shift knob at $400. This thing will probably require a second mortgage.

Like the others on the forum said, the gear should be displayed forward of the driver's eyes. Looking down there is a huge distraction. In most cases you should know what gear you're in when you look down there anyway (assuming you know how the car revs and what speed you currently are traveling in).
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
What a friggin waste of money! The muscle memory is plenty - in fact in sequential shifting is the only time I've needed to know what gear I'm in - and rarely there at that ... riding cycles, I've missed a way to tell what gear I'm in, but that's usually as I'm coasting to a stop on a disengaged clutch.

WOW. Amazes me what people will buy!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by peet
WOW. Amazes me what people will buy!
Oh ya! Iv seen some older dude with a Chrysler Le baron, it was like a 1992 and the guy had plastic crome spiners, looked like 14 inch.