C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*DIY Rear Camera install w/Pics - Centered Location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 E55, W204 C350, '04 Carrera C4S, '02 ML55 (Wife's)
Post *DIY Rear Camera install w/Pics - Centered Location

First of all… Thanks To:
Rick Hunter… for your great install with Pictures & RCA extension recommendation.
TJ @ MidCity Engineeringgood tip in putting the camera cable in the headliner. Took only 10 minutes!Guess that made up for the long time I spent on tucking away all cables in the front… You weren’t kidding when you said it was difficult installing this with the Factory iPod kit!)

I went a little different route than Rick… I wanted to see if I could get the camera centered a little more and higher up to conceal the camera.

If you haven’t seen Rick’s post… READ IT FIRST! https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254208
I do not reference what he has already gone over…. This install is in a different location than his.

This is in no way a replacement for Rick’s post… He did a GREAT job and inspired me to do this. Think of mine as a supplement to his….

Car Specs… 2008 C350, P2, MM, Factory iPod kit, uhhh the rest I don’t think matter?
**Additional item I used not included in the kit: 12’ RCA extension so I would not have to wire the camera ‘stuff’ in the front.

I make no claims that this is the way to do it or warranty this install in any way… if you choose to follow this, it is on your own accord and I accept no liability. I agree with Rick Hunter (who I do not claim to know, but like what he posts!) and hope this DIY encourages others to write more DIY’s. This Post is just to document how I personally installed this kit! (Sad that we have to put in these disclaimers now days!)

Here is my DIY on the install of MidCity’s Reverse Camera Kit w/Video in Motion.

I basically started from the front. Installed the VIM in the dash – *see MidCity Engineering install video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_5Fkawy-_g. Ran the RCA extension to the drivers side ‘A’ pillar. Up and over the headliner. Fed the RCA jack to the trunk. Wired up the power & ground to the reverse light harness. Then played with the camera mounting and alignment. Here we go!

I chose to mount the camera in the center most cut out location. The reason behind my logic was the camera would be more concealed (higher up) by mounting it to the trunk instead of the decorative piece. You can see this in the 4th picture where others mount it to the plastic. I got another 1/4 inch higher by mounting it to the trunk!

Put masking tape on the outer edges you will be doing test fittings often….. I know, a stupid step….. Until you scratch the car!

After decorative piece is removed…

I removed the yellow snap pin and got ready to make the camera mounting hole. This snap pin is not needed there are two (2) Torx screws (1” to the left & 2.5” to the right). Basically there are 8 mounting locations for this piece… I think it can loose one!

Tools for camera hole… Drill, Multi-Step Bit, Files (flat & round), Grinder / Dremel and PATIENCE!

The hole is elongated for a reason… after a few test fits I realized that I could get it a little higher & not pinch the camera wire.

It’s very important to not get to carried away & cut the decorative piece alignment tab! Because it lines up with the alignment pin in the picture below.

I used the existing hole, so I would not have to drill the car to install the camera mount. I drilled a hole at the front of the camera mount and bolted it in to the car.

I also took off the double stick tape and just put a little piece of masking tape (alot thinner & protects the paint from scratches) which got me almost a 1/4 inch higher!

Went back and forth with the grinding to get it evenly spaced. There is some fudge factor with the bolted mount.

I ran the wire where TJ (MidCity Engineering) suggested above the drivers side headliner…. This was the fastest part of the install! Literally 10 minutes! From removing the top half of the door molding, running the wire (gets held in by the insulation, i.e. no rattles)

Just like Rick’s Post the same outer wires but this is on the Drivers side.

I decided to tie wrap the camera ‘unit’ so that it appears professional.

You can see how low it is….. Not to bad though.

After adjustment… you can still see it but does not look out of place…

I can see more dirt on my car than the camera….

Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 AM

Post Continued....

The results……

Thanks for looking and hope it helps give another option for the camera location…. It takes a little longer but I’m happy with the results….

P.S….. I just got the Illuminated Door Sill kit from the dealer and will be doing a DIY on that soon… here are some pictures.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C63
Thanks Vader! I will be using this when installing mine.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:07 PM

AMGBeleza... no problem.... hope it helped
Old 12-04-2008, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Unrelateed question....how does that rear chrome trim piece above the license plate come off? I want to paint mine flat black. Thanks!