C63 in the rain...comparisons...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Might I reccomend a new pair of tires for you boys? Try the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I have the regular Pilot Sport A/S on my Sl63, and they seem to do wonders for the rain, all the while having damn good handling and traction.

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
passcheco

Originally Posted by Fantasm
ALL high performance tires suck in the rain.

the tread design for SUMMER HIGH PERFORMANCE and WET PERFORMANCE is completely different.
You can't have both words all at once.

If you want "ALL SEASON" tires, then you should've bought a ****ing PRIUS or SUV.

Not a PERFORMANCE ORIENTED 500+HP race car.
1+
Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 PM
passcheco

Originally Posted by GBlansten
To each his own but I think that giving up rain performance is NOT necessary if one wants outstanding dry performance as well.
I don't think you are going to find an All-Weather High Performance tire that does well in all categories. Pirelli tires IMO does very for what it is (SUMMER) Look for example in F1 they have dry and wet tires, (No I’m saying that we are in the same category) some tires are better than others in the rain, no tire is perfect. On rain one thing is for sure if you are over speeding for the tire you have it on you are SOL. Just know what you have and understand its limitation.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Don't forget, you'll need XL rated tires.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
passcheco

Originally Posted by CPD SLK
First of all...you're a buttery anus. What does the type of car or its power output have to do with wet stability when going at a steady rate of speed on the highway like we were discussing before you rudely interceded. And even if the horsepower of the car was in question, which it isn't when there is a constant velocity and no acceleration, my Trans Am had over 500 rwhp you douche canoe...and it certainly wasn't a piece of crap. Not that you're opinion matters when you were stupid enough to drive a S2000....how was it having no torque under 10,000 rpm you taint towel (alliteration: +1).

Lastly...as many of us have stated on here.....while high performance tires are geared towards dry performance...that doesn't mean you need to give up at least decent, wet weather stability.
With all due respect, the weight, balance, front/rear w/drive, hp all are extremly important when choosing a tire. Not to mentioned ones personal habits.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by passcheco
I don't think you are going to find an All-Weather High Performance tire that does well in all categories. Pirelli tires IMO does very for what it is (SUMMER) Look for example in F1 they have dry and wet tires, (No I’m saying that we are in the same category) some tires are better than others in the rain, no tire is perfect. On rain one thing is for sure if you are over speeding for the tire you have it on you are SOL. Just know what you have and understand its limitation.

I'm looking for my next set of tires to be summer only high performance again. I never have to worry about snow here. I'm just looking for something with slightly more wet performance. This is all about degrees. For me it isn't something that is hard core ***** to the wall black and white as another poster (not you) suggested. I might check on the Michelins above or a Bridgestone tire next.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
passcheco

Originally Posted by GBlansten
I'm looking for my next set of tires to be summer only high performance again. I never have to worry about snow here. I'm just looking for something with slightly more wet performance. This is all about degrees. For me it isn't something that is hard core ***** to the wall black and white as another poster (not you) suggested. I might check on the Michelins above or a Bridgestone tire next.
GB you may want to start at tire rack they have some great reviews and information they just finished testing four new high performance tires. Keeps us posted.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
GB you may want to start at tire rack they have some great reviews and information they just finished testing four new high performance tires. Keeps us posted.
I love those guys. I just used them for some Bridgestone RE50s on my wife's car. Saved around $400.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 VW GTI
I don't get the term "summer" tires - it must not rain in the Summer where these tires are developed!

But on topic, I get what the OP is saying. Ultra high performance/Summer/whatever you want to call them tires are made to have the best performance in dry conditions, not the wet. But you shouldn't be hydroplaning at 60 or 70 mph either, that's ridiculous!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
passcheco

Yes you will depending on the amount of water, road condition etc. also road oil (after the first rain or light rain) is the worst it may feel like is hydroplaning but is not.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
With all due respect, the weight, balance, front/rear w/drive, hp all are extremly important when choosing a tire. Not to mentioned ones personal habits.
I agree....but when talking specifically about stability in the rain at a constant highway speed...not much matters aside from the tire's ability to disperse water....
Old 12-18-2008, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
All I can say after so many years of high speed driving in dry and wet conditions on the autobahn in Germany that the Dunlops have served me very well.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Tires

I came out of a C36 shod with Bridgestone Fusion ZRi's. They were a Summer Ultra Performance tire but performed very well in the wet even though I rarely drove the AMG in the rain. I recently traded to a C32 AMG and it had Pirelli PZero's on it which is a Max Performance Summer tire. Both do fine in the dry but the Pirelli's are not as hooked up in the wet. Plus most AMG's alignment steering set up is more agressive and twichy for best turn-in response and cornering traction at the expense of some straight line stability. That makes wet or snowy driving exciting. If you are coming out of a non-AMG Benz or other mere mortal car, that alone will add to the Squirrilly feel. All the compromises are biased toward the performance side.

Both Bridgestone and Michelin have some decent all weather high performance options but the big wide tires on our cars do still hydroplane easier then little narrow tires, no matter whose rubber is installed. I perfer to avoid wet weather in the Benz but if unavoidable, then just back off a bit and it is fine.

Footnote, I even ran wet session track days on the Fusions with very good results. While they are a step below the PZero's and other Max Traction Summer tires, in a published tire test their wet performance was one of the best while retaining excellent dry traction. If I lived in the Pacific Northwest or other very rainy locale, it would be one of my first choices. My experience with the C63 is limited but more power only makes wet driving more challenging. ESP on is a must.

Irish
Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM
passcheco

Back in the 90's Germany some friends turn me to a Falken tire, back then was a great tire I understand now they are making a ZR that is suppost to be great for all Autobahnen. I don't know however if is available in the US.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Porsche GT3
The stock tires work fine in the rain. Please check you tire pressure. I run 40 psi all the way around.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by OPM GT3
The stock tires work fine in the rain. Please check you tire pressure. I run 40 psi all the way around.
I run 41
Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Aren't you suppost to drive slow in the rain?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Aren't you suppost to drive slow in the rain?
https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic...rs-united.html
Old 12-22-2008, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
+1
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Don't agree!

Originally Posted by Fantasm
ALL high performance tires suck in the rain.

the tread design for SUMMER HIGH PERFORMANCE and WET PERFORMANCE is completely different.
You can't have both words all at once.

If you want "ALL SEASON" tires, then you should've bought a ****ing PRIUS or SUV.

Not a PERFORMANCE ORIENTED 500+HP race car.
I have always had Michelin PS2's and they work fine in the rain and outstanding in the dry. I can't comment on the Pirelli's but if this is true they will come off my C63 when I get it.

Pics to follow!

Regards & Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Falkens

The Falken tires are also available in the US. I have not checked to see if they can be had is sizes to fit the C63. I raced SCCA auto-x on Falkens in a MR2 turbo for years cause they were one of the few performance tires to fit the small factory rims. When hot they stuck well on dry pavement but I found them to be only OK in the wet. The Fusion ZRi was better in the wet and just as good in the dry. I don't sell tires and have not tested everyting out there. I am sure there are others that are as good or better.

I will restate, I am NOT at all impressed with the Pirellis.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Old 12-23-2008, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Does the c63 only come with pirellis or is it a crap shoot between 2? back when I had the M3 i remember they came with either pilot sports or conti sport contacts...no choice of course
Old 12-23-2008, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by PatSC23
Does the c63 only come with pirellis or is it a crap shoot between 2? back when I had the M3 i remember they came with either pilot sports or conti sport contacts...no choice of course
I think they use the Contis as well but I'm not sure on that.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by CPD SLK
First of all...you're a buttery anus.
now thats funny