Sponsored by:

Cracked Fog Lamp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Iridium Silver C63
Cracked Fog Lamp

I was washing my car yesterday and discovered the right fog lamp lense was cracked. It doesn't look like a rock hit it and it is cracked at two different places. I've read that our foglamps burn really hot and that it is not unheard of for the heat to crack the lense occasionally. Anybody know if the MB warranty would cover such damage and how they would determine if this was the cause of the crack? I've had fog lamps on other cars cracked before by rocks but I definitely heard the rock hitting it those times and it was fairly loud, like a rock hitting hte widshield type of sound. I cannot recall hearing anything this time. Would I have to replace the whole lamp or just the lense? Part number anybody? Thanks.

ROD
Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Aren't the lenses made of some sort of plexiglass? or are they pure glass now?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 AM

AMG
defect?

Oh no... not this again. There seemed to be a defect in the SLK55 and C55 fog lamps where thermal changes caused the glass to fracture out. Search for the old thread about it.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:30 AM

AMG C63 S
Driving north on I-95 two nights ago, crossing from right lane to left just as I was coming down off the apex of a bridge/road overpass, I nipped the left front on a big retread tire lying squarely in the middle of the road. I was doing about 79 mph at the time.

Once I was off the Interstate, I pulled over and got out to inspect the damage. The hit had made such a loud noise I thought I had knocked off the front part of my C63. Instead I just found a huge black patch on the front bumper and around the front left fog lamp. The lamp was still working and not cracked.

By the light of day, the next day, I noticed the glass light had been mashed in about 5 or 6 mm relative to the right fog lamp. I took it into MB and they confirmed, plus the left fog wouldn't swivel left anymore with a left hand turn.

So evidently the glass itself can take a pretty good wollop.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I had to replace a fog on my SLK 350 with the sport package (same fogs as the SLK55). It happens. I wish that they weren't glass.