C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightning pace & thundering exhaust note!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2009 | 09:32 AM

335i
Lightning pace & thundering exhaust note!!

Guys,

I come from Hong Kong and this is my first post here. I just test drove a C63 today and was hugely amazed by the acceleration of it. I am currently driving a E90 330i and that beast made me feel driving a Corolla after the test driving.... But what surprised me most is the exhaust note. I asked the dealer to step on the gas and I stood behind the exhaust. And you know what? I was scared by its roar! It reminded me of those scary sound of thunder sound when I was a child. I read a lot of review of C63 and was prepared to hear loud exhaust note but the sound of it actually exceeded my threshold. Do you guys think that it's a bit too loud?

Just one more thing, I found the steering wheel very light. It's totally different from my 330i. It's bit like I am playing arcade racing games. Maybe I am not used to it but do you think it reduces the steering feel as it doesn't provide me enough "reaction force" during turning.

Anyway, I will try to test drive E90 M3 and used 997CS and will make up my mind. But now I really doubt these 2 can provide this kinda shocking excitement, especially in term of acceleration....
Old 01-10-2009 | 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Welcome to the board, Stanley. I'm sure you won't regret getting a C63, and blasting down the Tolo Highway on a Sunday morning drive. I'm surprised you found the steering as light as you indicated. I think the weighting is just about spot on. Either way, you will get accustomed to it in no time.

Do let us know what you decide to go with, and be sure to post up some pictures of your new ride when you've got it!

Old 01-10-2009 | 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
Welcome!
Old 01-10-2009 | 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I have had the car for a few months now and I open the roof every chance I get to hear the exhaust note. I love the sound.
Old 01-10-2009 | 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by GBlansten
I have had the car for a few months now and I open the roof every chance I get to hear the exhaust note. I love the sound.
I'm going to get my wife to drive the car while I follow in another car just to see it in action from other drivers' perspective and to hear the exhaust note as an outsider would.

Wait a minute, what am I saying?
Old 01-10-2009 | 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I'm going to get my wife to drive the car while I follow in another car just to see it I action from other drivers' perspective and to hear the exhaust note as an outsider would.

Wait a minute, what am I saying?
LOL, I thought about this. I've never heard it as a bystander. Definitely a Catch-22.
Old 01-10-2009 | 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by GBlansten
LOL, I thought about this. I've never heard it as a bystander. Definitely a Catch-22.
Almost makes you want tolet the valet park the car for you.

Stanley, if you're at the Grand Hyatt or Island Shangri-la, do make sure you drive right up to the front door and let them valet park it for you!
Old 01-10-2009 | 12:31 PM

2017 C63S Coupe, 2015 Range Rover Sport
We were in Vegas for NYE and I finally heard mine from outside when the valet pulled it around. When they started it up I said to my wife what the ?????? Is that really our car? I couldn't believe how loud it was (in a good way!). BTW, it got VIP treatment at Palms Place - parked right in front with Lambos, a SLR, Bentley Continental, etc. Pretty cool :-)
Old 01-10-2009 | 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
you have to hear the car from outside while someone else is driving of.
Old 01-11-2009 | 03:12 AM

09 white c63
my car with my x-pipe sounds pretty cool also a lil more sporty sound
Old 01-11-2009 | 07:08 AM

C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
Stanley, the standard exhaust note on the C63 is just mesmerizing! its such a melodic tune to hear when you're accelerating the sexy beast.. I've been driving mine for the past 6 weeks now and boy.. there are no regrets. In terms of the steering wheel, as SebringSilver mentioned, the weight is just perfect! My mates always say that whenever I accelerate past them, they hear a thundering roar.. which can wake up other motorists to watch out for the sexy beast!

Do let us know which car you end up getting..
Old 01-11-2009 | 08:48 AM

335i
Originally Posted by yazid
Stanley, the standard exhaust note on the C63 is just mesmerizing! its such a melodic tune to hear when you're accelerating the sexy beast.. I've been driving mine for the past 6 weeks now and boy.. there are no regrets. In terms of the steering wheel, as SebringSilver mentioned, the weight is just perfect! My mates always say that whenever I accelerate past them, they hear a thundering roar.. which can wake up other motorists to watch out for the sexy beast!

Do let us know which car you end up getting..
sure, i will try to arrange a test drive with BM dealer but dunno if they can get me a DCT. but if i get a M3 in the end i would have to spend more $ on getting a "proper" exhaust...

personally i prefer e92 to e90 but the price of e92 is almost 30% higher than that of e90 which i think is ridiculous, can't figure out what the dealer is thinking....
Old 01-11-2009 | 06:44 PM

C63
My wife drove a couple of weeks ago and after she was backed out of the driveway and pulled off I was like WTF?? Had I not been watching I ould have thought she was on the gas. But nope just under normal acceleration I was like "Is this what it sounds like?" The clincher for me was a post (can't recall the site) from someone who had caught one pre-release at a fuel station in Germany. They waited for the driver to leave and followed him. I couldn't believe the exhaust note on startup much less when they were chasing him.

I had a deposit with the dealer but that video sold...me hook, line and sinker.

Hard to think I've had it close to a year. Being a former Bimmer guy, I can't believe the leaps and bounds that MB made with the C63. I used to see BMW as the holy grail of sedans. Not anymore!!!
Old 01-11-2009 | 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kdoyle
We were in Vegas for NYE and I finally heard mine from outside when the valet pulled it around. When they started it up I said to my wife what the ?????? Is that really our car? I couldn't believe how loud it was (in a good way!). BTW, it got VIP treatment at Palms Place - parked right in front with Lambos, a SLR, Bentley Continental, etc. Pretty cool :-)
+1 ..VIP treatment, for my car not me at Ceasar's Palace
Old 01-18-2009 | 12:56 AM

335i
Finally, I test drove E90 M3 yesterday. I would say I'm a bit disappointed with the car.

Below 4000 rpm, the acceleration of the M felt like my 330i, contrast to the immediate punch I got when I drove the C63... The gear changes of the MCT wasn't as smooth as I expected, maybe I am not used to this new system, I think the old steptronic system is smoother. The handling of the car around corners was good, as expected, but I would say C63 handles as good in this aspect. Maybe only in a track I can feel the superior handling (as stated in many car reviews) of M over C63.

And the interior didn't make me feel I was driving a HK$1 million car. The C63 is more luxurious and the seat more comfortable.

What disappointed me most was the exhaust sound of M. Compared with C63, it almost seemed muted....

Now, I am convinced that for urban driving (like what I would have for 98% of the time in a city like Hong Kong), C63 is a better choice. I don't think I would have many opportunites push the car above 4-5k rpm to reach the sweet spot of the M. I prefer the abundant of torque even in low rev range of C63.

I would try to arrange a test drive in a C2s and I will make up my mind afterwards.
Old 01-18-2009 | 01:23 AM

08 Evo X PB, 09 C63 OB
I think alot of people feel the same way as you do Stanley. But if you look around, you will notice there are alot more C63s vs M3 sedans in Hong Kong. In the last month, I've seen at least 4 or 5 C63s a week vs 1 M3 in a month. But then again, a 1 million HKD (~ $128,300 USD) car in Hong Kong is a good bargain compared to all the other expensive cars driving around everywhere.