C63 Black Series????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
C63 Black Series????

So, this morning I get a call from a friend who just returned from a 5 weeks business trip to Europe. He is a Porsche guy, not too in touch with AMG's but he knows his cars. He says he spotted a widebody C63, with what he decribed as "monster rubber", without any badging and tape over the head lights (bad disguise?). I just spent a while googling C63 widebody kits and did not come up with anything. I have come to two conclusions, one, this could be somebody that fabricated and installed some sort of DTM body on their C63, but that does not explain the taped headlights. My second guess is that this is possibly the next Black Series

Have any of you guys heard or seen anything? I have a call into a friend of mine at MBUSA, he actually told me about the SL 65 Black Series months before details were released to the public but have not heard back.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beemer, Benz or ... Chevy.
A C63 AMG Black Series would be awesome, as long as they don't make it too unattainable or too much more than the regular C63. I'm thinking around $80,000 with a bump in horsepower.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
Weight reduction? Grippier tires? Brake ducts? No back seats? I am interested
Old 02-27-2009, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by jrcart
So, this morning I get a call from a friend who just returned from a 5 weeks business trip to Europe. He is a Porsche guy, not too in touch with AMG's but he knows his cars. He says he spotted a widebody C63, with what he decribed as "monster rubber", without any badging and tape over the head lights (bad disguise?). I just spent a while googling C63 widebody kits and did not come up with anything. I have come to two conclusions, one, this could be somebody that fabricated and installed some sort of DTM body on their C63, but that does not explain the taped headlights. My second guess is that this is possibly the next Black Series

Have any of you guys heard or seen anything? I have a call into a friend of mine at MBUSA, he actually told me about the SL 65 Black Series months before details were released to the public but have not heard back.
Most likely a Brabus test mule
Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Agree with Carl....a four door sedan would be a major departure from all the things that make a Black Series what it is. You never know though...but, it would really dilute the Black Series mystique.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Delete the back seats on a 4 door? That's crazy.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by norb
Delete the back seats on a 4 door? That's crazy.
+1

A four door with no back seat would look pretty silly.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Don't think we will be seeing a C class Black Series but I 'd take one of these if I could afford it.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
I believe the SLK may be the next Black Series
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by LZH
Agree with Carl....a four door sedan would be a major departure from all the things that make a Black Series what it is. You never know though...but, it would really dilute the Black Series mystique.
I don't think a C63 BS would detract from the mystique of the label at all. In fact, I think it would be very appropriate if Mercedes unveiled a C63 Black Series considering the current DTM car is based on the W204.

Perhaps that's why they didn't give the current car rear fender flares, maybe they were saving that for the BS Anyhow, I wouldn't mind driving around a street version of this...

Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by yooker
They already made the SLK Black Series ...
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
They already made the SLK Black Series ...
hows that exactly?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:10 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Dude come on.....they made it already. Only avail in Europe.

Originally Posted by nrgy
I don't think a C63 BS would detract from the mystique of the label at all. In fact, I think it would be very appropriate if Mercedes unveiled a C63 Black Series considering the current DTM car is based on the W204.

Perhaps that's why they didn't give the current car rear fender flares, maybe they were saving that for the BS Anyhow, I wouldn't mind driving around a street version of this...

The only racing MB/AMG cares about is DTM and F1. The car pictured above is a FULL tube framed race car and is about as similar to it's roadgoing C class as a NASCAR - they share nothing in common whatsoever. Sure, it would be cool if AMG made a C63....but the Black Series name means it's a track ready car that can be driven daily and has what we've all come to expect from a MB. Typically speaking, a four door sedan will never make a good track car unless you ruin it's streetability. I really don't think we will be seeing another BS model for a long time... considering the lackluster CLK BS debut (plenty new cars still sitting on lots) and the same with the SL BS. Bad timing with the worldwide economy being what it is and the amount of R&D that goes into these cars would not surprise me if they actually loose money with every BS made. AMG has already done their BS treatment to all the cars in their model line that make sense. I'm not saying they won't make a C63 BS...but all things considered, I would be surprised and disappointed if they did.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Originally Posted by LZH
Dude come on.....they made it already. Only avail in Europe.
Sorry, I am not very in tune with the European market.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 AM
LZH
Banned

your sig avatar would suggest otherwise.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
SLK was the FIRST BS.

It was actually a massive failure.

For those that don't know the timeline:

1.) SLK55 AMG BS
2.) CLK63 AMG BS
3.) SL65 AMG BS
Old 02-28-2009, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
I guess it just slipped my mind, I know they used it as F1 safety car but completely forgot they also made a Black Series.

On a side note, how well do you think the C63 would do on a road course with no modifications? Do you think the stock brakes are capable of handling the weight of the car?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by LZH
The only racing MB/AMG cares about is DTM and F1. The car pictured above is a FULL tube framed race car and is about as similar to it's roadgoing C class as a NASCAR - they share nothing in common whatsoever. Sure, it would be cool if AMG made a C63....but the Black Series name means it's a track ready car that can be driven daily and has what we've all come to expect from a MB. Typically speaking, a four door sedan will never make a good track car unless you ruin it's streetability. I really don't think we will be seeing another BS model for a long time... considering the lackluster CLK BS debut (plenty new cars still sitting on lots) and the same with the SL BS. Bad timing with the worldwide economy being what it is and the amount of R&D that goes into these cars would not surprise me if they actually loose money with every BS made. AMG has already done their BS treatment to all the cars in their model line that make sense. I'm not saying they won't make a C63 BS...but all things considered, I would be surprised and disappointed if they did.
It wasn't my intention to suggest that the C63 or any BS variant does or would share anything in common with the DTM car other than perhaps a few bits and pieces like the grille and tail lights. I'm just saying I don't think it would ruin the image of the Black Series label if they came out with a C version considering the CLK was and the C now is featured in the DTM series.

I agree a 4 door car typically does not make a good track car without sacrifices, yet I don't think anyone expected the CLK BS to do as well as it does considering its weight, which is very close to the standard C63's weight...and weight distribution are nearly the same with the CLK @ 56/44 and the C @ 54/46. If they were to shave 400-500 lbs from the C63, upgrade the suspension to coilovers, 2-piece rotors all around, wider and stickier rubber shrouded by larger fenders, and bump the engine back to 500+ hp I think this car would be a beast on the track and still be streetable. But I understand what you are saying. I don't want to see the BS label slapped onto every model either and have the AMG badge mean nothing without it. I just think IF they were to make another BS, the C makes sense to me. I don't think we'll see one either though given the current economy.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oliverk
hows that exactly?
They are correct, the first AMG Black Series was a 2007 SLK Black Series but it was not sold in North America.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:16 AM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by TA-9FF
SLK was the FIRST BS.

It was actually a massive failure.

For those that don't know the timeline:

1.) SLK55 AMG BS
2.) CLK63 AMG BS
3.) SL65 AMG BS

Why was it a massive failure?

They sold a bunch of them and they use it as a part of the AMG Driving school.

A couple of people that I know that took classes and rented one loved it.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It wasn't my intention to suggest that the C63 or any BS variant does or would share anything in common with the DTM car other than perhaps a few bits and pieces like the grille and tail lights. I'm just saying I don't think it would ruin the image of the Black Series label if they came out with a C version considering the CLK was and the C now is featured in the DTM series.

I agree a 4 door car typically does not make a good track car without sacrifices, yet I don't think anyone expected the CLK BS to do as well as it does considering its weight, which is very close to the standard C63's weight...and weight distribution are nearly the same with the CLK @ 56/44 and the C @ 54/46. If they were to shave 400-500 lbs from the C63, upgrade the suspension to coilovers, 2-piece rotors all around, wider and stickier rubber shrouded by larger fenders, and bump the engine back to 500+ hp I think this car would be a beast on the track and still be streetable. But I understand what you are saying. I don't want to see the BS label slapped onto every model either and have the AMG badge mean nothing without it. I just think IF they were to make another BS, the C makes sense to me. I don't think we'll see one either though given the current economy.
I would have to agree slightly with some of your comments as well as some of Lukes comments. I don't think a C63 Black Series would be a bad idea, I think it would be a huge hit in the Europeon nations becuase of the success the C sedan has had in the DTM series. If they could make it look even close to a DTM rce car and keep it priced near $100k (US) they would sell the hell out of them IMO. I think $100-105K and 525 hp would be the magic number and would be in line with the hp gains on previous Black Series models over their "standard" AMG counterparts.

Luke brought up a lot of good points as well, the biggest being timing with the world economy, and the lack luster sales of previous Black Series models. I would assume the world economy has something to do with the lack luster sales of previous Blacks, but even if things were booming with the economy a $310k Mercedes is only going to appeal to so many people.

In my opinion, the C makes good sense for the next Black, it does tie in with the DTM race cars, and it should be able to be sold at a price point that would be palletable for many more buyers.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG

Now thanks Bad Ace!!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Since the U.S. is the bigest market for the AMG products, maybe MB / AMG will field a Nascar team in 2010.

-Troy
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
Why was it a massive failure?

They sold a bunch of them and they use it as a part of the AMG Driving school.

A couple of people that I know that took classes and rented one loved it.
Exactly. It's only good on the track, but can't do much else everywhere else due to it's massively hardened suspension and ride quality.

Even AMG admitted it was a good first try, but nevertheless not all that great.

Hence, the CLK and SL BS' were developed to have much better everyday livability, without sacrificing it's track-honed skills.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:15 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by jrcart

All Mercedes-Benz vehicles are due for a facial change in 2010 I believe, so the sightings could be the proof of that. The E-Class with the new face was revealed not long ago, and photos of the S-Class with a new face have been surfacing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 Black Series????