Sponsored by:

Controlling nerves during launch...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Controlling nerves during launch...

I have to say my biggest problem with the C63 are the launches from a dead stop. Typically I take off real slow and smooth, non aggressive. But I had a situation today where I let my ego take over, and almost was embarrassed by an older suburban. There was a young woman in the right turn lane, however the lane continued past the light for several hundred feet. She didn't pull up along side rather stopped at my rear bumper, 1st warning sign. Didn't think much of it since it was just a Suburban. Sure enough though, before the light even had a chance to turn green she floors it and is a 1/2 car ahead of me. Adrenaline kicks in and I'm thinking to myself are you kidding me? But already feeling behind I floor it, tires spin, ESP kicks in, and I only manage to stay neck and neck with this 3 ton SUV for what seemed like way too long. The lane is about to end and she is not letting up. Figuring this suburban would be a no risk/non issue, now I'm thinking to back off so she doesn't swerve into my lane. Finally though, the tires hook up and she instantly becomes a spec in the mirror giving her plenty of time to get over. She eventually catches up and passes on the far right, I smile and she throws out her pinky, middle finger, and thumb out the window? What is that? A more flamboyant way to flip someone off?

Anyhow, I had this same problem at the drag strip last year... as soon as the light turns green I can't seem to control my foot. I'm wondering how bad my launches will be after headers/ecu Do they make any streetable DRs in 19"?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Sport & Rs6
Which tires are you using now? Check out the Toyo R888's. They work very well and they have a stiff side wall for cornering. They are more of a race style tire which requires some heat before your heavy foot lays down. The Mickey Thompson DR seems to be the choice for the drag track!

-Adam

Last edited by Autoscope; 03-14-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:20 PM

09 C63 K2
The guideline for acceleration can be car bending at launch.
More nose is up --> more back wheels traction --> more pressure on the gas pedal.
Will try it tomorrow
Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
^^Alternatively, try weighing down your trunk with lead weights.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:31 AM

C63
Originally Posted by nrgy
I have to say my biggest problem with the C63 are the launches from a dead stop. Typically I take off real slow and smooth, non aggressive. But I had a situation today where I let my ego take over, and almost was embarrassed by an older suburban. There was a young woman in the right turn lane, however the lane continued past the light for several hundred feet. She didn't pull up along side rather stopped at my rear bumper, 1st warning sign. Didn't think much of it since it was just a Suburban. Sure enough though, before the light even had a chance to turn green she floors it and is a 1/2 car ahead of me. Adrenaline kicks in and I'm thinking to myself are you kidding me? But already feeling behind I floor it, tires spin, ESP kicks in, and I only manage to stay neck and neck with this 3 ton SUV for what seemed like way too long. The lane is about to end and she is not letting up. Figuring this suburban would be a no risk/non issue, now I'm thinking to back off so she doesn't swerve into my lane. Finally though, the tires hook up and she instantly becomes a spec in the mirror giving her plenty of time to get over. She eventually catches up and passes on the far right, I smile and she throws out her pinky, middle finger, and thumb out the window? What is that? A more flamboyant way to flip someone off?

Anyhow, I had this same problem at the drag strip last year... as soon as the light turns green I can't seem to control my foot. I'm wondering how bad my launches will be after headers/ecu Do they make any streetable DRs in 19"?
She's got a Maserati?
Old 03-14-2009, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wuyichao
She's got a Maserati?
LMAO....it took me a couple of seconds to figure that one out!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:03 AM

2003 M3
Ha ha... the fact that she flipped you off at all is pretty stupid.... it's not like you cut her off....
Old 03-14-2009, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
That was a signal to follow her to her cougar den.....you missed out.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
That reminds me of the old joke about the difference between a woman in a Suburban and a bowling ball....you can only fit three fingers into a bowling ball.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 AM

09 C63 K2
Today I was at the competition, who is a slower driver.
I was 55 km/h in 60 limit on the first lane, enjoing the ride, not the speed.

Another guy passed me over on Honda SRV and slowed down as soon as he realized that he is missing a show to look at C63. He waited me on the second lane and increase the speed to mine in 0.5 car lenth behind. After ~ 1 km I needed to turn left, gave him a farewell C63's acceleration and disappear.

Last edited by vkam; 03-14-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 AM

09 C63 steel grey
As stated in previous threads you need to increase the width of your rear tires from the stock 255. I had the same problem with the stock tires. Since replacing to 265 it is more difficult to spin on acceleration from 0. Next set I'll probably bump up to 275s. Also keeping transmission and ESP both in "sport" modes makes it almost a no brainer - just ease onto throttle for like .25 to .50 seconds then floor it - a little wheel spin is OK.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by tyanger
As stated in previous threads you need to increase the width of your rear tires from the stock 255. I had the same problem with the stock tires. Since replacing to 265 it is more difficult to spin on acceleration from 0. Next set I'll probably bump up to 275s. Also keeping transmission and ESP both in "sport" modes makes it almost a no brainer - just ease onto throttle for like .25 to .50 seconds then floor it - a little wheel spin is OK.
im going 275 right away - seems so weird that 10-20 mm CAN make such a huge difference..
Old 03-14-2009, 12:07 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
eh typical everyday life for me ~~
Old 03-14-2009, 12:51 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
I don't think there is any simple answer to loss of traction. Simply lots of practice and knowing your car.
Throttle modulation is key. Best way I can describe it is when you're entering a bend, you push the limits of adhesion, but you never really lose it. You can apply that same principle to the straight line as well...
For full on aggressive take offs at lights without losing traction, I usually input the throttle partially until I feel planted and then apply the rest of the throttle...
If you have launch control or manual, much easier to take off with less wheel spin.
Have fun...
Old 03-14-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Yeah, I know I just need to work on relaxing my foot...when there is no one beside me I can launch pretty well haha.

As for the tires I am running, I already replaced the stockers when I changed to the 19" AMG wheels. I slapped on Bridgestone RE050A PP 265/30 in the rear, and I switched to KW V3 coilovers which surprisingly helped a little with hook up. Part of the problem I think was a little sand on the road as well.

When I was searching for tires, I really was trying to find a streetable drag tire in 19" sizes, but I just don't think that tire exists. I looked hard into the Toyo R888s, even the Michelin Sport Cups, but the general consensus seemed to be that in day to day driving they won't perform any better since they do require heat to grip well, as Adam@Autoscope pointed out.

BUT, there is a new tire that I really want to try out. The Bridgestone RE11, the RE01R replacement, which is getting rave reviews. Everyone who had the RE01Rs seem to love them, and those that have switched to the RE11 say they are even better.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...ProductID=2033

I may try these out at some point, since it seems to be one of the few extreme performance tires available in the 19" sizes I need. I just don't know if they too need heat to hook up well.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
After almost 20 years at the drag strip, it still takes concentration to not "drop the hammer" when the green is lit.

Actually, you need to leave on the last yellow, but that's fare for another thread...check out the drag racing how-to over in the W211 E55 section.

Practice is the only way to master the launch in a car with such a LB/HP ratio. One needs to feel for the available traction, no mean feat in a well-insulated sedan.

I take a deep breath, hold it for a half-second to focus, then attempt to concentrate on a singular thought - my launch. A deliberate pace with the pedal seems to work better than slamming on the gas; I like to count mentally one thousand and one where the pedal ends on the floor on one.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
LOL @ THESE.................

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
That reminds me of the old joke about the difference between a woman in a Suburban and a bowling ball....you can only fit three fingers into a bowling ball.

Originally Posted by chubbs032
That was a signal to follow her to her cougar den.....you missed out.

Originally Posted by wuyichao
She's got a Maserati?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Are we allowed to race Suburbans? Is this a just say no situation where you just let it go or do we just go ahead and vaporize it as was the case here.

I saw a 2008 Ford Focus take on a Suburban recently and it got smoked.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by Adam@Autoscope
Which tires are you using now? Check out the Toyo R888's. They work very well and they have a stiff side wall for cornering. They are more of a race style tire which requires some heat before your heavy foot lays down. The Mickey Thompson DR seems to be the choice for the drag track!

-Adam
the m/t are the best but in order to put does on you need bigger tires in the front so you dont get into limp mode.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Originally Posted by Case1906
Are we allowed to race Suburbans? Is this a just say no situation where you just let it go or do we just go ahead and vaporize it as was the case here.

I saw a 2008 Ford Focus take on a Suburban recently and it got smoked.
Ha, I don't let anyone pass me on the RIGHT at a light. That's just disrespectful...