Sponsored by:

How did you break in your C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
No not really. The AMG vehicles your dealer lets you try out are either "test" vehicles or "demo" vehicles. Test vehicles are vehicles that don't get love from MB or their dealers. The dealer encourages you to drive the crap out of it because that vehicle is going be to sent back to MB to analyze the wear and tear on it. If some vehicles get rejected from MB head quarters and don't get sent back for analysis they end up being sold as low-milage demo vehicles to the public (just like Steffi experienced in the pervious post of this thread) or participate in the MB sponsored AMG Experience (search the web if you don't know what this is).

The other reason why you are encouraged to drive like a loonatic is to experience the AMG feeling. Would you buy an expensive car because the dealer showed you a piece of paper with impressive numbers on it ? How about it if he tells you how awesome the power is once you have broken it it ? No sane person would. They are willing to depreciate a few vehicles because they can make the price of them back by purchases.

I don't care what you've heard from who. You can't just get into a car and floor it and expect everything to work fine all the time. You don't get out of bed in the morning running, you need some time to wake up and so does your car. You need to turn it on and drive a few miles until the engine warms up, the oil and transmission fluid come up to temp and the air in the tires expand brining the tire pressure up to operating levels. The Lexus IS-F and BMW M3 do not even allow the driver to start flogging the car around until it is warmed up properly. What makes you think its OK to do it in a Mercedes ?

The car I drove on my test drive is the one now in my driveway, so that theory goes out the door. My car still had plastic on the seats when I test drove it.

Last edited by dan30252; 03-31-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:51 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by norb
Who's your dealer, I'll make sure to never buy a car from them.

I'm not going to publically slam a dealer, but it was actually more than one. I shopped around the price of the car and went on multiple test drives. Was the same thing every time. Turn key, put it in D, sport mode on, pedal to the floor.

Porsche dealers are the same around here. I drove two new 911's, one with plastic still wrapped on the car, and beat the hell out of them both. Wanted to compare PDK vs. Manual.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by dan30252
The car I drove on my test drive is the one now in my driveway, so that theory goes out the door. My car still had plastic on the seats when I test drove it.
You are going to be their best customer; the Parts and Services department will love you. Good luck...
Old 04-12-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
So I got about 700KM in 3 days and I drove it like I would any other day, sideways around every second corner.

Anyone do any DYNO testing on a easy break in compared to a hard break in? Im going to get it dyno'd next week sometime when its back from the 3000km differential oil change. Im going to have the engine oil changed too.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' C63 AMG
I never went over 4k rpm for the first 1200-1500 miles.. I bought my car straight up so I made sure to break it in right, a lease would be a different story...