First class lease protection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
First class lease protection?

Did anyone get this? It cost me $1395, it protects up to $3500 in damages when you bring the lease back, tires, paint, interior, etc.

They wave the security deposit of $400 if you buy this also.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Woah. You're kidding, right? If not, I think you should ask if there is a grace period where you can get your money back for this.

Do you know what money factor (or interest rate) they charged you for the lease?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Sounds like a reason for them to find $3,783 in "non-std wear" when you turn in your lease.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM

2008 C63
Originally Posted by Merc63
Did anyone get this? It cost me $1395, it protects up to $3500 in damages when you bring the lease back, tires, paint, interior, etc.

They wave the security deposit of $400 if you buy this also.
No. A friend is the GM and when asked he reccomended in this order (...note this was 4/08 when I leased mine).

1. Lojack
2. Rim & tire (due to price to replace)
3. Prepaid main - if I prefered to pay up front.

Otherwise nothing. If you plan to stay in MB they are usually pretty good about the turn in as they want to sell you another one...
Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM

2007 C230 Sport Sedan
OUCH! They gave it to you with no Vaseline.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:59 PM

12 Panamera S
Lease return

Unless you are a reckless driver or planning to return the lease car in very bad shape, MB usually does not charge for normal wear and tear. There are 2 things to keep in mind: they check for dents that are 2 inches or greater and 1/4 of a cm (or something like that). In my last lease return, they charge me $275 because i am 1 mm too low on my tire tread. I leased my last 3 cars, with the exception of the tire wear, I never have to pay anything addition. So, not sure what the lease protection buys you unless you do not plan to take care of your car.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:42 PM

CLK 550A
Doesn't cover.....

They are giving me a difficult time.....As a long-time Mercedes-Benz customer, I have always been satisfied with my vehicles and impressed with the help, service, and courtesy of all Mercedes-Benz personnel. My latest experience at Smythe European, however, I am sure you will be as shocked and appalled as I was when you learn about this entire disaster – from all the misinformation and misrepresentation to the customer service standard with the Smythe.

On June 20, 2008, I leased a CLK550 at the Smyth European dealership in San Jose, California. The finance personnel convinced me also purchased (1) First Class Wheel and Tire Protection; and (2) Maintenance Service Protection so that I have piece of mind.

The vehicle currently has 12,121 miles on the odometer. The problem is that the rear tires have been damaged due to nails or other types of road debris. On April 27, 2009 I have spoken to Jay Falkner (Asst. Service Mgr.) scheduling an appointment to replace both rear tires. I reminded Mr. Falkner that I’ve purchased article (1) and after 3-4 hours; without having physically inspect my vehicle, via telephone Mr. Falkner called and said it did not fit into the program guidelines so that it have to be at my expense. I requested a copy of a signed agreement and registration of article (1). He mentioned he’ll follow-up and I should have it by next morning. Nothing came thru my fax and I have yet to hear from Smythe.

By next day, I realized I had made a horrendous error ever purchasing Article (1) and (2) Protections from the dealership and I found myself in a dismay situation for which no one seems to desire to help. By lunchtime April 28, 2009, I drove to Smythe and met with Mr. Falkner and Mike Young (Service Manager) and again the only excuse I was given as that those “normal wear & tear” although both tires has nails damaged. I immediately proceeded and spoke to Lisa Banks (Finance Manager) and demanded a copy of my Wheel and Tire Protection Agreement. She stated that would take 48 hours to put into an archive then for me to have it. I find it totally inexcusable that a product from such a giant name as Mercedes-Benz, famous for its high-end products, documented agreement, and computerized application, is experiencing such drastic problem.

It clearly states...."Unmatched coverage that won't leave you flat

You've chosen to drive one of the finest vehicles on the road. Now you can make another excellent choice. Mercedes-Benz Financial is pleased to offer you First Class Wheel and Tire Protection, which replaces your tire and/or wheel if damaged due to a road hazard. Contact your authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer for details."
Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by quoctheman1
They are giving me a difficult time.....As a long-time Mercedes-Benz customer, I have always been satisfied with my vehicles and impressed with the help, service, and courtesy of all Mercedes-Benz personnel. My latest experience at Smythe European, however, I am sure you will be as shocked and appalled as I was when you learn about this entire disaster – from all the misinformation and misrepresentation to the customer service standard with the Smythe.

On June 20, 2008, I leased a CLK550 at the Smyth European dealership in San Jose, California. The finance personnel convinced me also purchased (1) First Class Wheel and Tire Protection; and (2) Maintenance Service Protection so that I have piece of mind.

The vehicle currently has 12,121 miles on the odometer. The problem is that the rear tires have been damaged due to nails or other types of road debris. On April 27, 2009 I have spoken to Jay Falkner (Asst. Service Mgr.) scheduling an appointment to replace both rear tires. I reminded Mr. Falkner that I’ve purchased article (1) and after 3-4 hours; without having physically inspect my vehicle, via telephone Mr. Falkner called and said it did not fit into the program guidelines so that it have to be at my expense. I requested a copy of a signed agreement and registration of article (1). He mentioned he’ll follow-up and I should have it by next morning. Nothing came thru my fax and I have yet to hear from Smythe.

By next day, I realized I had made a horrendous error ever purchasing Article (1) and (2) Protections from the dealership and I found myself in a dismay situation for which no one seems to desire to help. By lunchtime April 28, 2009, I drove to Smythe and met with Mr. Falkner and Mike Young (Service Manager) and again the only excuse I was given as that those “normal wear & tear” although both tires has nails damaged. I immediately proceeded and spoke to Lisa Banks (Finance Manager) and demanded a copy of my Wheel and Tire Protection Agreement. She stated that would take 48 hours to put into an archive then for me to have it. I find it totally inexcusable that a product from such a giant name as Mercedes-Benz, famous for its high-end products, documented agreement, and computerized application, is experiencing such drastic problem.

You've chosen to drive one of the finest vehicles on the road. Now you can make another excellent choice. Mercedes-Benz Financial is pleased to offer you First Class Wheel and Tire Protection, which replaces your tire and/or wheel if damaged due to a road hazard. Contact your authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer for details."
Welcome to MBWorld. Is this how you normally introduce yorself at a party? lol
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 AM

2006 Audi 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

Sorry to hear that. You may want to go to another MB dealer to do the replacement. Call MBUSA if necessary.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
Welcome to MBWorld. Is this how you normally introduce yorself at a party? lol
He's the man.

That is why I'm weary to buy extra care/maintenace package from the dealer. Only thing I'll buy is extra warranty.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:03 AM

2009 C63 AMG

There have been circumstances where dealers have pocketed 100% of the insurance premiums and never filed the insurance documents to the insurance company.

I'm not saying this happened in your case, but it is possible. You can call the insurance company that underwrites those policies and have them confirm that you in fact have coverage. I recommend you do this while you continue to put pressure on your dealer to produce the insurance agreements. However, are you sure you don't have copies that were provided to you when you purchased the insurance?

Don't be afraid to file a civil complaint if your dealer does not fairly address your needs. You can do this yourself without an attorney. I only bring this up as an option of last resort.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 C43 AMG, Previous 2016 E550 Coupe, Previous 2012 E550 Coupe
May 2012 - bought First Class Lease Protection on my E550 Coupe- and cancelled it a week later. Have never purchased any extras ever, at first it sounded ok (for me )till I read what it does and does not cover. Guess I had a weak moment.

It really depends on your driving - I'm a low miler so the worn tires benefit on a short lease (and I use snow tires for the Canadian winter) doesn't mean much. I'm not a commuter so day to day dings, (or any at all) etc are very rare for me. I've never had any lease end issues, so I decided that it was a program I didn't need.

Now on the other hand, I have a buddy in Real Estate who is very rough on his MB's and the program is exactly what he needs. It pays for itself for him in a week as he routinely grinds both passenger rims into the curb as he shoe horns into a parking spot.

Cancellation was painless, I read the contract and it gave me 90 days to cancel, and they pro rate what's left. I cancelled in less than 30 days into the lease and they gave me full value. The Customer Service rep I talked to treated as a routine administrative event with no attachment to why I wanted to cancel or try to talk me out it.

That was great as I sort of expected a bit of debate on keeping it.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I got it. The wheels and tires are very expensive and with the potholes around here, and the fact that I am living in a construction zone I thought it would be a wise investment, a gamble so to speak. On My 09 R320 I had a sizeable ding that would have been extra and I brought back the car with the tires worn and I didn't have to pay anything so it worked for me. I also have three kids and a wife and the fact that her 2012 already has a nice rim rash on it means I have already done well!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 AM

I just got 2013 e350 amg pkg should i take tire insurance for 900.00
Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Depends on the car. With windshield replacements being over $1k on some models, its worth it. We average 1 windshield replacement a year here haha.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Wowzers, old thread, waste of money considering I bought out the lease.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by rage2
Depends on the car. With windshield replacements being over $1k on some models, its worth it. We average 1 windshield replacement a year here haha.
Must be different in canada... but here in the US I am 100% sure all insurance companies have free non deductible glass coverage.. I have had 2 replaced in the past 5 years at 0 increase in my premium, obviously as part of insurance you are paying for it as there is no such thing as a free lunch. But they would rather you have a clear view than a big crack in your face. (you can pay for that in a strip club)
Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA250
Do you have to return the car with exact same tire brand/model? Or will they accept the car back with other tires as well?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by 2012C63AMG
Must be different in canada... but here in the US I am 100% sure all insurance companies have free non deductible glass coverage.. I have had 2 replaced in the past 5 years at 0 increase in my premium, obviously as part of insurance you are paying for it as there is no such thing as a free lunch. But they would rather you have a clear view than a big crack in your face. (you can pay for that in a strip club)
Not all - neither Geico nor Allstate replace your windshield non-deductible...your rates don't go up, but you need to pay your comprehensive deductible.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
The tires don't last long enough to get insurance on them. I have no idea what you paid for this coverage, but you can buy an entire set of aftermarket wheels that are as good or better than the OEM cast wheels for $1,200, (almost the cost of one OEM wheel). I'm not against warranties (I bought the extended warranty) but think the wheel/tire warranty is just not worth it.