Sponsored by:

Subs w/o a box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 Kleeman; CLS63 Renntech; Kirkham 427S/C; 308 GTB; 911T 3.0 911 cab 3.6
Subs w/o a box

Has anyone replaced the stock subwoofer (in the HK system) with anything that offers better bass? I want to maintain full use of the trunk and the folding rear seat. Therefore, I don't want a box or tubes in my trunk. Can a better bass be had by replacing the stock sub? I don't need to shake the cars around me, but would like better and deeper bass. Just cranking up the bass control to 11 raises the mid-bass too much. I'd like to boost the low bass a bit.

Last edited by Lew L; 03-28-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
is it a 5x7 sub?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Black C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Lew L
Has anyone replaced the stock subwoofer (in the HK system) with anything that offers better bass? I want to maintain full use of the trunk and the folding rear seat. Therefore, I don't want a box or tubes in my trunk. Can a better bass be had by replacing the stock sub? I don't need to shake the cars around me, but would like better and deeper bass. Just cranking up the bass control to 11 raises the mid-bass too much. I'd like to boost the low bass a bit.
I have not replaced the HK sub. I do like the location of the factory sub, the rear package shelf is ideal for saving trunk space. I think it is probably an 8 or 10 inch shallow depth model that is tuned to the signal that the HK amp is putting out. What I mean by that is that it may be very difficult to simply replace the sub-woofer by itself without having to do some signal tuning to keep the sound integrated. Keep in mind that the impedance of some factory stereo components do not match up with typical after-market speakers. I hope this is along the lines of what you are looking for. Best of luck and let us know how it works out for you, with pics please.