C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Pirelli P-Zero rear replacement tyres look slightly different!??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:24 AM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
My Pirelli P-Zero rear replacement tyres look slightly different!??

I just bought a set of replacement tyres in anticipation of my....anticipated burnout that I plan on doing in the near future.

Now I noticed that the new tyres don't have the little rubber strip in the middle like is shown on the picture I attached of my tyres at 6,000 km. Anyone know why or got a new set also without that strip?

I've also attached a pic of the new rear tyre.

I wonder if it means these will last longer?
Attached Thumbnails My Pirelli P-Zero rear replacement tyres look slightly different!??-rear-tires-6000km.jpg   My Pirelli P-Zero rear replacement tyres look slightly different!??-new-rear-tires.jpg  
Old 06-20-2009, 04:54 AM

09' C63 AMG
Yeah those are def not the same tires, maybe they are cheaper and you got screwed? Or maybe they're better... You should probably check online though, I’m sure the Pirelli website should clear that up.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
They "Defiantely" look different. The Pirelli website should give you better insight. hope all turns out well
Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
It could be you got all season tires the wider grooves are for better handle on the rain.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
looks like you didn't order the Mercedes Spec'd Pirelli tires. They sometimes alter the tires slightly to match the carmaker's requirements. For instance I remember ordering Continental CH95s for my old BMW 3 series. The new tires had 4 rows of treads while the OEM had 5. Turns out the one with 5 rows was for better steering response requested by BMW. Had to reorder the tires.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 AMG
Are your tyre the P-Zero or P-Zero MO?

OEM fit on the C63 is a P-Zero MO.

What you get in tyre shops is just a P-Zero.

That could be the difference.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:31 PM

C63 AMG
I did some research on these tires.

MB OEM tires are PZero "Hero" model.
Replacements are either PZero "Nero" or "Rosso"

The "Hero" model is a little softer compound, and DOUBLE the price of Nero's. I went with the Nero's on the second set, and couldn't be happier. They seem just as sticky as the OEM and will probably get a little longer life than the stock "Hero" tires.

I found out all this from a friend that works at Perelli. He's in the motorcycle division, but he sent an email for me to help figure out the difference.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:32 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by NS_C63
Are your tyre the P-Zero or P-Zero MO?

OEM fit on the C63 is a P-Zero MO.

What you get in tyre shops is just a P-Zero.

That could be the difference.
They are P-Zero MO just like the original ones and manufactured on the 11th week of 2009, so they are quite new.

Maybe Pirelli made some changes since everyone was switching brands after they went through two sets very quickly!

I guess I'll find out only after I've changed my rears. I think I still have about 3,000km at most before the rears are gone.That is if I don't decide to do a super burn out before then!

With the condition of the rears now, it's already slippery on a dry road if I put my foot down. Whatever happens, there will be a burnout before I change the current ones! (So far, I've been hesitating from any burnouts to see how much life I could get out of the tires.) It's a lot of fun peeling out of turns and feeling the rear tires fighting for grip. In fact for a car without a mechanical diff, it feels a lot of the time like there is a diff as I feel both tires powersliding back there!
Old 06-20-2009, 04:41 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by dan30252
I did some research on these tires.

MB OEM tires are PZero "Hero" model.
Replacements are either PZero "Nero" or "Rosso"

The "Hero" model is a little softer compound, and DOUBLE the price of Nero's. I went with the Nero's on the second set, and couldn't be happier. They seem just as sticky as the OEM and will probably get a little longer life than the stock "Hero" tires.

I found out all this from a friend that works at Perelli. He's in the motorcycle division, but he sent an email for me to help figure out the difference.
Interesting, but the PZero Nero and Rosso have different tread patterns.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Guys, it is commonplace for manufacturers to make tires specifically for a given car model that is NOT part of their "aftermarket" tire lineup, rather their OEM lineup. This is to satisfy carmakers requirements for treadlife, noise, etc...usually at the sacrifice of grip.

Safe to say, 9x out of 10, the aftermarket equivalent will be a better performing tire.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by GMW
Interesting, but the PZero Nero and Rosso have different tread patterns.
Who knows..... just get a set of tires on there cause it doesn't matter. You'll smoke thru them in 3K miles anyways...