C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Be Charged for a Loaner if its Warranty Work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, I'd rather spend $10 bucks on the gas to fill the loaner than pay for something that most other dealers loan out for free. BTW, in Vegas, Fletcher Jones Mercdes, Desert BMW, and LV Acura gives out free loaners. LV Acura doesn't even charge for the gas you use (that may have changed during the past several months)! My Fletcher Jones SA always takes care of me and after a 11 year relationship, sadly, he just passed away. I even got a loaner on repair work past the warranty period. Guys, stick with one SA and they'll take care of you. They too are on commission.

Last edited by Sincity; 06-26-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by jsr
My dealer (Mercedes Benz of Chandler) has an Enterprise on site. If you go with a standard Chrysler rental then it is free. If you want a Mercedes loaner though, it'll cost $5/day.

Pretty much the same deal for me. Take whatever Enterprise gives you-- free. Upgrade to a C Class rental -$10/per day. They ask you to replace the gas to whatever level you went out on.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever keys I grab first...
Originally Posted by Sincity
You shouldn't be charged...period. It is not the $10 but the principle of it. Everyone here could care less about $10 since some of you spend that much or more on coffee or cigs.
Principle? What principle?

There is no "principle". There is you-- or whomever, wanting to have a loaner/rental paid in full (a luxury, mind you) whilst your C63 is getting fixed. A bit of a stretch considering "loaners" aren't included in your warranty contract. If there is a clause, then the OP would have a valid complaint; still cheap, but valid.

If you think the dealers loaner/rental charge is ridiculous, try going to a side lot. You'll soon realize the $10 bucks is a bargain.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:19 PM

C350 Sport
Easy fix, let them know the 10 bucks bothers you and that you're taking your business to another MB dealer for future service. If enough people do that, they wont charge anymore.

I find it funny that a MB dealership is charging someone for a loaner. IMO Part of buying a MB, Lexus, BMW is getting the service that comes with it. I expect free coffee, free bottled water, and at least 1 big screen tv in the waiting area. Again, that's part of the perks of spending $40K+ on a car.

Does $10 bother me? nope.

It does bother me that when having my 350Z serviced I was able to get a free rental. The idea of having a loaner at a MB dealership cost me.... seems weird when my MB was twice the cost of my 350Z.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If $10 really bothered no one, this thread wouldn't exist. All this is, is cheap people looking to cut corners because they've already emptied their pockets purchasing the Mercedes. How ridiculous.

As for complaining to my service manager about 10 bucks when I drop off my 600 or 65, no thanks--I'll keep my dignity!
Old 06-27-2009, 02:33 PM

C350 Sport
Originally Posted by Lexani
If $10 really bothered no one, this thread wouldn't exist. All this is, is cheap people looking to cut corners because they've already emptied their pockets purchasing the Mercedes. How ridiculous.

As for complaining to my service manager about 10 bucks when I drop off my 600 or 65, no thanks--I'll keep my dignity!
Are you sure it's not the dealership trying to cut corners to save money?

cups half full or half empty?

Nissan didn't charge me for a loaner because they didn't have to since their cars are cheaper therefor owners have less money.
MB can charge for a loaner because they can since clearly MB owners have more money and don't care about spending it?

Last edited by jeffie7; 06-27-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
So the choice is go back to Nissan then and drive rental sentra's or pay 10 bux and drive rental C class.

Yes MB can try to charge whatever they want, they are luxury brand catering to wealthy people who would pay $100 for rental, more power to them. If that's not cool with you drive Nissans and Toyotas until you can pay to play.

I bet almost everybody here overpaid 1000's for their C63's, but are complaining about 10 bux. No one likes penny pinching, but I'd rather pay 10 bux and not drive smart and be laughed at by the dealer.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:19 PM

C350 Sport
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
So the choice is go back to Nissan then and drive rental sentra's or pay 10 bux and drive rental C class.

Yes MB can try to charge whatever they want, they are luxury brand catering to wealthy people who would pay $100 for rental, more power to them. If that's not cool with you drive Nissans and Toyotas until you can pay to play.

I bet almost everybody here overpaid 1000's for their C63's, but are complaining about 10 bux. No one likes penny pinching, but I'd rather pay 10 bux and not drive smart and be laughed at by the dealer.
This isn't about money, it's about service. Lexus of Annapolis and BMW of Annapolis do not charge for loaners, never have. If I take my Bens in for service at MB of Annapolis and I get charged for a loaner, I wouldn't say anything, 10 bucks, big woop, however when it comes time to buy another car. It would play into a factor knowing that BMW and Lexus took care of me with zero "fees" so to speak.

10 bucks is no big deal, but this isn't about 10 bucks, it's about buying a flagship car and having the service that comes with it with out the BS add ons.

I have to take my car into service next wendsay, if I can remember about this thread I'll post up if I get charged for the loaner or not. It will be my frist time in so we'll see.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jeffie7
This isn't about money, it's about service. Lexus of Annapolis and BMW of Annapolis do not charge for loaners, never have. If I take my Bens in for service at MB of Annapolis and I get charged for a loaner, I wouldn't say anything, 10 bucks, big woop, however when it comes time to buy another car. It would play into a factor knowing that BMW and Lexus took care of me with zero "fees" so to speak.

10 bucks is no big deal, but this isn't about 10 bucks, it's about buying a flagship car and having the service that comes with it with out the BS add ons.

I have to take my car into service next wendsay, if I can remember about this thread I'll post up if I get charged for the loaner or not. It will be my frist time in so we'll see.
Service? Services aren't free, in fact nothing in life is free-- and if it is, it's usually complimentary or an accord of sorts.

And no, the dealer is not cutting corners by charging you. Again, refer to "service", the word implies someone doing something for you-- which usually is NOT free; no matter how much you paid for your Mercedes or Ferrari.

Is the concept of exchanging currency for a service foreign to you? Or just one you refuse to accept because buying a luxury car should exempt you from it?
Old 06-27-2009, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NYCGLK

Pay to play-- exactly. Same people here like the ones who jump up and down at the rising costs of fuel while tooling around town in their Blown V8s.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 PM

C350 Sport
I know all about play to play, I have more money tied up in my 350Z in mods, then I do in the cost of my loaded C350 sport. My Z is a toy and one that could blow up at any moment due to being turbo charged.

All I'm saying is with higher end dealerships, at least in this area, I've never been charged for something like a loaner, maybe MB does, I will soon find out, but Lexus and BMW do not. This this a big deal? no not really, but it does play a factor with the total satisfaction over the lifetime of the car, what happens when its time to buy another? That goes into the buying thought process. If I knew that the dealership might add in small fees like that, I would have bought an IS. However, hopefully this isn't the case and my local MB dealership treats me like Lexus and BMW.

As to the pay to play, if thats fully true, does that mean not a single one of us should offer a lower price then sticker? I mean, you got to pay to play right? or is asking for a lower price mean that we're not able to afford the car? If a dealership told me I had to pay to play, I would say ok and leave, then go to another dealership. Maybe I'm just cheap.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As to the pay to play, if thats fully true, does that mean not a single one of us should offer a lower price then sticker? I mean, you got to pay to play right? or is asking for a lower price mean that we're not able to afford the car? If a dealership told me I had to pay to play, I would say ok and leave, then go to another dealership. Maybe I'm just cheap.
Yup, asking for a lower price generally means you can't afford the car (or item in question for that matter).

And I can't speak for the rest of the forum, but I did not offer a low ball price for any of my cars-- and as you can see, they are not some Honda Civics. I purchased my 65 early on and not only did I pay the MSRP, I paid a "market adjustment" for it.

Meaning, I paid to play. I understand this concept and seeing as you have tons of money invested in your 350Z I can't fathom you not understanding it either; especially when it involves a $10 service charge.

Oh, right... the benefits owning a luxury vehicle.

In conclusion all that should be said is if you want it bad enough, you just have to pay the price. You either want the loaner enough to pay 10 measly dollars, or you take the bus or call a friend. Seems like an easy enough solution to me.

Or, as you put it, drive to another dealership-- and waste that same 10 bucks in gas getting yourself there.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:05 AM

C350 Sport
update, just had my car serviced at my dealerhip. They gave me a GLK350 for a loaner.

zero charge.

No different then the other lux dealerships in the area.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Schumacher in Scottsdale charges $12 and Arrowhead Mercedes charges $12 too. Its total BS. I had my car in for service (warr work.) and got hit with the charged I picked the car up that night and they didnt fix the problem so I took it back and they tried to hit me with that fee again. I told them to pound sand. To top it off I just washed my car it was spotless and they washed it again and it looked like crap. I now go to Schmacher rather them Arrowhead here in AZ. They are a slightly Mod friendly dealer. That even sells RENNtech, Brabus and Lorinser stuff. Not to mention they have a direct relationship with Dyno-Comp. So if you mod and want a good service advisor go to Shumacher and see Paul Olsen. I guess the $12 one time charge is what it is.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Lexani
Service? Services aren't free, in fact nothing in life is free-- and if it is, it's usually complimentary or an accord of sorts.

And no, the dealer is not cutting corners by charging you. Again, refer to "service", the word implies someone doing something for you-- which usually is NOT free; no matter how much you paid for your Mercedes or Ferrari.

Is the concept of exchanging currency for a service foreign to you? Or just one you refuse to accept because buying a luxury car should exempt you from it?
+1

Any dealer can do what they please. And in the end they're only just trying to remain competitive with each other for your business. Loaners cost the dealer money. $10 is pretty cheap for a rental car.

There's no free lunch ever implied when you bought the car. In fact, there's no free lunch anywhere in the world. Somebody has to pay for it. If the dealer wants to treat you with something, then that is just doing business. Even if MBUSA was footing the bill, it's still about business.

You paid $xxxxxx for your car? So what? My house was 20x the price of a new C63 and I didn't get freebies for buying it.

You bought a car and not a waiting room with free lattes and a widescreen TV, or a free car to putz around in when you need the oil changed.

Again, it's not about you buying a "luxury car." Like you are somebody special in the world. It's just a way that dealers have figured out how to keep your business so they can make money from you down the line, whether it's maintenance and repair dollars or a new car later on.

Don't like that the dealer charges you? Go somewhere else.

Last edited by 220S; 07-05-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 PM

C350 Sport
Originally Posted by 220S

Don't like that the dealer charges you? Go somewhere else.
That's what I'm saying =)

If my local BMW and Lexus dealership doesn't charge me but my MB dealer did (they didn't) Then next time I buy a car I'd take that into consideration.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
That's what I'm saying =)

If my local BMW and Lexus dealership doesn't charge me but my MB dealer did (they didn't) Then next time I buy a car I'd take that into consideration.
That's okay. Each to their own. But I certainly wouldn't lean towards a particular brand of car based on whether or not I'll get a free loaner or a $10 loaner.

Kinda sounds more like maybe you have doubts about MB than anything else.

(ps, I use an indie (yes, with a brand new car, but he's the best) and he doesn't give me a loaner But he's better than the dealer and a lot less expensive.)