Sponsored by:

oil sensor problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 amg
oil sensor problem

Ive been driving my car around.....not getting on it too much....it has just over 3500 miles and for some reason it kept telling me to check my oil after next refueling....i check it and it has the right amount and is not dark at all.....message keeps coming up for 3 days so i dropped off my car thursday at my dealer saying i wanted to change my oil....they call me friday and say they dont want to change the oil but want to look at the car to see the problem....they notice that the car cold has a ticking sound and say that the needs a new oil sensor that they will have the car ready for me tomorrow. I receive a phone call tuesday night saying that they want to keep looking at my car and to call tomorrow for more information. Anyone else having this problem?? I miss my car they gave me a stupid e350
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Normally I would say it's just low on oil so just add it.....by ticking do they mean a clicking noise? Cuz I would say more than 50% of the members here have clicking sounds on their cars. Btw that is normal...so I don't really know what's wrong. Just dbl check on their labor and make sure they call you every day and dbl check the milage when you get it back. But you did get a e350 in return
Old 07-23-2009, 06:13 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
maybe someone can help me on this?

By the way, does your oil dipstick have any markings to show what is the minimum level and maximum level. I have 3 red/orange plastic markings but no writing on them to indicate what level means what???
Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 PM

C63AMG
**** Poor Indication and Nothing In Manual

Originally Posted by GMW
By the way, does your oil dipstick have any markings to show what is the minimum level and maximum level. I have 3 red/orange plastic markings but no writing on them to indicate what level means what???
We called the dealer to inquire about the dipstick markings. The manual and the dipstick do match one another. So we wind up at the dealer and their ace mechanic tells us to use the top two indicators for the low and high oil level reading. They advise us to put a quart in when it was at the middle plastic indicator level. We put the quart in and for the next couple of days, upon every start up, two big blue/white belches of smoke from the exhaust are emitted. The oil level drops down, the smoking upon startup goes away after several subsequent starts and drives.

Then we are driving along last week and the check oil message pops up, telling us to add at the next fuel stop . We pull over and add a quart. Back to square one, the engine is belching smoke upon subsequent start ups until the oil level drops again.

We have yet to put the third quart in, however, are going to wait until the level indicates between the bottom two indicators on the engine oil dipstick. This must be some sour kraut thing and we're just dumb ol red blooded yankees.......... Obviously, beyond our comprehension.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 PM

09 C63
mine doesnt look anything like what is in the manual.

but it finally went off the other day at about 7500 miles when the oil level dropped below the middle red marker. added a quart and it brought it back to where it is now above the middle red marker.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 PM

2007 E550, 2009 C63
Originally Posted by Savoy6
mine doesnt look anything like what is in the manual.

but it finally went off the other day at about 7500 miles when the oil level dropped below the middle red marker. added a quart and it brought it back to where it is now above the middle red marker.

My "Check Oil Level at Next Re-Fueling" warning went off yesterday. I checked my oil this mornong at work ( it was just touching the left side of middle marker pictured above) and called my dealer and spoke to a mechanic who told me to add a quart and run the engine a few minutes and re-check the level. I added the quart, ran the engine for a few minutes, re-checked the level which was about halfway over the middle marker. I added another quart and am now about where you are in the photo. I could probably add another quart or two to get to the maximum level.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:51 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
THANKS!!!!!

Originally Posted by lomita
We called the dealer to inquire about the dipstick markings. The manual and the dipstick do match one another. So we wind up at the dealer and their ace mechanic tells us to use the top two indicators for the low and high oil level reading. They advise us to put a quart in when it was at the middle plastic indicator level. We put the quart in and for the next couple of days, upon every start up, two big blue/white belches of smoke from the exhaust are emitted. The oil level drops down, the smoking upon startup goes away after several subsequent starts and drives.

Then we are driving along last week and the check oil message pops up, telling us to add at the next fuel stop . We pull over and add a quart. Back to square one, the engine is belching smoke upon subsequent start ups until the oil level drops again.

We have yet to put the third quart in, however, are going to wait until the level indicates between the bottom two indicators on the engine oil dipstick. This must be some sour kraut thing and we're just dumb ol red blooded yankees.......... Obviously, beyond our comprehension.
Thanks!! My oil level was just right at the center red plastic and the message kept coming on at least twice a week then the Service Manager told me to add about half a quart. I did that and now the message has gone.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:01 AM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe , Range Rover Sport
The problem with newer cars is that they are just too sensitive. Modern technology can be good but sometimes too much info is no good.

Just keep an eye on your dipstick and if there is oil showing on there , you will be fine . The low oil warning symbol is a good idea, but perhaps it should come on at a different interval.

It does not look good for Mercedes when your " check oil " light comes on only a couple of weeks of ownership. Perhaps they should add slightly more oil and have the sensor made to go off at a lower level on the dipstick.

Just my 2 cents worth.....Cheers John