C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Messed Up My Windshield/Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Eurocharged C63 AMG
Help!! Messed Up My Windshield/Need Advice!

First off let me myself on this one. Two days ago I went to get in my car in my garage in my building and I noticed some sort of substance had dripped on my car and hardened. It was a clear substance but the old wet paper towel didn't get it off. It was Sunday and late so I was getting aggregated and tried to find a place where I could buy a razor blade to scrape the stuff off. Eventually like a complete fool I went to the local A&P and bought a green scratch pad hoping to just wet it and get the substance off the windshield. Well of course it did the trick and got the stuff off my windshield but unfortunately now I have slight scratch marks from the pad I used on my windshield. I already went to my trusted detail shop and they had no luck getting them out. I read online that Brasso might do the trick but I couldn't permanently get the scuff marks out. Does anyone have any advice on what to do with this situation? Replacing my windshield will really tick me off. Does anyone even know the cost of a new windshield. BTW these marks are on the passenger side so they aren't directly in my line of site. Any suggestion/information greatly appreciated by all. Grrrr
Old 08-03-2009, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Pictures would be useful, but if the scratches aren't very severe, I'd leave it. If you drive enthusiastically at all, or you track the car, you're going to get rock chips galore on your hood, front fenders, and windshield anyway. Replace the windshield when there is sufficient damage on it to go through insurance.

I had my windshield replaced recently because of a 12" crack that resulted from a rock chip.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Take it to a glass shop. 3M makes a polishing compound for glass. It might do the trick.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Ironically, I have a very similar story that has made me a loyal MB owner. Not long after I got my first MB, it was all nice and clean and I got bird crap on the windshield in a parking lot. I didn't have anything to get it off and didn't want it to bake on the windshield. I grabbed the only thing I had...a small paper receipt in my pocket. Sure enough, it ended up scratching my windshield, right in my line of sight.

The dealership told me that they could get it out by buffing it. No success...so they replaced the entire windshield for free and got themselves a very loyal customer. Have you asked the dealership?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 PM

09 Eurocharged C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Pictures would be useful, but if the scratches aren't very severe, I'd leave it. If you drive enthusiastically at all, or you track the car, you're going to get rock chips galore on your hood, front fenders, and windshield anyway. Replace the windshield when there is sufficient damage on it to go through insurance.

I had my windshield replaced recently because of a 12" crack that resulted from a rock chip.
I took some pics but when I viewed them on my laptop of course you couldn't see a darn thing. The problem is since they are on the passenger side everytime I make a right hand turn I notice it and it blury. Does anyone have a clue how much it will cost to replace the winshield?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:21 PM

09 Eurocharged C63 AMG
Originally Posted by clktoc63
Ironically, I have a very similar story that has made me a loyal MB owner. Not long after I got my first MB, it was all nice and clean and I got bird crap on the windshield in a parking lot. I didn't have anything to get it off and didn't want it to bake on the windshield. I grabbed the only thing I had...a small paper receipt in my pocket. Sure enough, it ended up scratching my windshield, right in my line of sight.

The dealership told me that they could get it out by buffing it. No success...so they replaced the entire windshield for free and got themselves a very loyal customer. Have you asked the dealership?
My SA is pretty cool so I will give him a call tomorrow and see what he saids. I through him a pair of Yankee Tickets so hopefully he will be able to give me some good news. However I doubt he replaces my windshielf for free.