Sponsored by:

Powder Coat vs Painted Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Powder Coat vs Painted Wheels

So Ive been trying to get some wheels for my c63 but it seems like the only way to get some after market wheels is to get some custom forged which will cost me over 6 grand. I've decided to just use my stock wheels but im thinking about Powder coating or Painting the wheels. The quote I got is 650 for the powder coating or 400 for the painting. If I can put my car on blocks I can get the powder coating for 400, but it will be a pain for me to do. I'm just worried about the paint chiping if I get it painted, has anyone ever gotten this done before or know the process for this? The company that I called said they offer life time for the painted wheels but will not re paint if it gets a rock chip. Let me know what you guys think!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Originally Posted by tinhorama
So Ive been trying to get some wheels for my c63 but it seems like the only way to get some after market wheels is to get some custom forged which will cost me over 6 grand. I've decided to just use my stock wheels but im thinking about Powder coating or Painting the wheels. The quote I got is 650 for the powder coating or 400 for the painting. If I can put my car on blocks I can get the powder coating for 400, but it will be a pain for me to do. I'm just worried about the paint chiping if I get it painted, has anyone ever gotten this done before or know the process for this? The company that I called said they offer life time for the painted wheels but will not re paint if it gets a rock chip. Let me know what you guys think!
I've seen our stock wheels painted before and IMO they look much much better stock. Now it could be that powder coating them would much better. Good luck and post pics
Old 08-09-2009, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
Wait a little bit! Kill the stock tires, get to know you car and then try to find OEM 19" AMG rims. Since they are an option on MY10, you can get them through you dealer or private seller. Just wait! They really look AWESOME!!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by soldier2304
I've seen our stock wheels painted before and IMO they look much much better stock. Now it could be that powder coating them would much better. Good luck and post pics
Do you happen to have any pics? I was thinking of painting them matte black instead of the same color as the car? The shops here in dallas are charging 700 to powder coat if I leave my car with them and I called around to see if I were to put my car on Jack stands it would only cost 400, same as painting.... Im waiting for my euroteck CF lip and rear diffuser to come in, so I can get it all done at once. I was told it will be ready in 3 weeks, so I have 3 week to decide if I want to paint, powder coat or wait.... If only I can find some used wheels for a good price, I just cant see myself spending over 6 grand on a new set of wheels.....