Mercedes Dealership Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Smile

Originally Posted by turbotom1
Why not just install a Renntech R.A.T. and pop it in and out as needed ?

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zsL3EJzutw

I'm kind of proud of it. I just hope they do not call my next programmer the Turbo Updater Race Device.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Renntech is a lot more expensive than Kleeman. i wonder if mercedes warranty is the reason
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by lolachampcar
How does the whole two ECUs married to the same car/ViN thing work?

Can you actually purchase an ECU from MB without giving up your old one?
Yep I am in the process of doing it. I have a friend that works there though if that matters.. Just getting it at cost is all.

I have to pay for it to be programmed to the car then it can just be plugged in whenever. I think there is another member on here that has multiple ECUs for his car with different tunes.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
Originally Posted by akreidie1
I was told from a freind of mine that works in a Bmw delership, that when the cAr comes in for service. They scan the whole car and if an ecu was tuned they detect it, but they don't tell the owner of the vehicle anything, untill somthing goes wrong, then they void the warranty. He said that their stressing this more nowadays because the economy and all.
BMW is the WORST when it comes to this. They will snoop through your entire car and PRO-ACTIVELY void your warranty for mods, even if you're not claiming anything wrong with the powertrain. I know first hand. BMW can take a leap off the highest building..(have owned 4 BMW's, this will be my last, I'm defecting back to MBZ)
Old 09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
Originally Posted by lolachampcar
I'm kind of proud of it. I just hope they do not call my next programmer the Turbo Updater Race Device.
LOL, the T.U.R.D awesome!!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:04 PM

12C P85DL
Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO
BMW is the WORST when it comes to this. They will snoop through your entire car and PRO-ACTIVELY void your warranty for mods, even if you're not claiming anything wrong with the powertrain. I know first hand. BMW can take a leap off the highest building..(have owned 4 BMW's, this will be my last, I'm defecting back to MBZ)
Looked long and hard at the MSD 80/81 and 85. Very tough nuts to crack and it is a shame for if there was ever a need for a small brick to take an ECU back to stock BEFORE going back to the dealer its the tubo BMWs.

That being said, I can not wait for the TTV8 550
Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM

12C P85DL
Update
Yep, I built a programmer for the MSD80/81 and MSS60/65. It was a real pain in the butt but it is done and working.

Looks like the new turbos from MB are all BDM Tricore based. That sucks.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Sorry to hijack, but I didn't want to make a new thread for a quick question.. I got a letter (more like a post card really) saying that "MY WARRANTY MAY ALREADY BE EXPIRED" or something to that effect. It wasn't from MBUSA or anything, looked like it was from some 3rd party company, but it had my VIN # and real name. Is this legit? It's an '09 and I would think I had at least 4 years..
Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 PM

GT3
If the dealership your dealing with is so quick to void a warranty they will most likely look into you purchasing that spare ecu. Bottom line is they cant void the claim unless they prove the mod caused the failure. And as I said, if they are gonna go through that much trouble you better bet they will investigate that purchased ecu. It does not benefit the dealer to not do warranty work. They gettin' paid Just talk with the SA before tuning the ecu. There are plenty of dealers that are mod friendly.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jae Duk
Ok instead of asking you to search on this one....
If you get your ECU modded they shouldn't be able to void your warranty just tell them to reflash it to factory setting that's it.
No sir. Sorry to sound contradicting but you are incorrect. Mercedes has sufficient reasons to void your warranty with an aftermarket tune. It might not void your warranty on the electrical system, ie , radio, head lights or they might not void your warranty on the sterring alignment or the brakes or the exhaust system but sure they could void your warranty on the engine and possibly the transmission by putting extra stress on the components.

Do you really think that someone could get away with modding an ECU?. There are dealers that don't care but if something bad was to happen they could perfectly void your warranty and laugh at the Moss magnuson law or whatever that is. my .2c
Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
How dumb do you think MB is?

If you go in there with a broken pcv hose, then sure, they probably wont' take the time to check.

A fried tranny or major engine problem, and you better believe they'll go through the software.
^^^+1. I am with you 100%.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Someone suggested the R.A.T. device from Renntech but I honestly don't think that you can use it with other tunes but that is just me saying, I am not 100% sure. Dynocomp uses the R.A.T with their own custom tune but they are also Renntech dealers and they additionally deal with a friendly local mercedes dealer (Shumaker mercedes benz in Scottsdale, AZ)
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 434 Likes on 357 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by drawde
Sorry to hijack, but I didn't want to make a new thread for a quick question.. I got a letter (more like a post card really) saying that "MY WARRANTY MAY ALREADY BE EXPIRED" or something to that effect. It wasn't from MBUSA or anything, looked like it was from some 3rd party company, but it had my VIN # and real name. Is this legit? It's an '09 and I would think I had at least 4 years..
Basic Warranty is 4 years/ 50000 miles (80000 KM) from in-service date.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
To answer the post of the individual who revived the thread (the other posts are back on warranty voiding issues again...).

The VIN is public record, these aftermarket companies buy records from the DMVs around the country in bulk. Then they send out these aftermarket warranty mailings (and some have been caught cold calling people.. they got slapped by the FTC hardcore for that).

There is no affiliation with MB, and in most cases, they are junk, waste of money, cover very little, and at the very worst, they are scams. Turf it.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
If you had an issue, that requires them to check the ECU with STAR, then they will know that it was modded. And they could at there discretion void your warranty. So your rolling the dice on this one. I would leave well enough along, until your warranty has expired, then modify the car to your hearts desire.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I went the dealershop cuz I got CEL.. and I told them "i guess there is some prbm on purge valve.. so.. check it out.. but make sure that not to reflash my ECU!!" then.. they fixed that w/o reflashing it.. then they even told me "why would we reflash if there is no prbm on ur ECU.. we will never do it.. so don't worry about it -_-a" then.. the changing purge valve was covered by warranty!! Im happy now!! haha
Old 06-16-2011, 12:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Even if you flash it back to stock, they can tell you modded it by simply looking at the case of the ECU. All flashes, as far as I am aware, require the case to be cracked open. The case isn't pretty after that...
Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Even with a mod friendly dealer, there is a regional warranty service manager that will investigate major warranty claims such as blown motors, trannys, rear ends. Otherwise the dealers would make a fortune from the factory fixing everything they could under warranty. The dealer can tell if the ECU has been removed from the car even if you don't pop it open to flash it (hence the "two ecu" solution won't work). If it's not on your MBZ service history, questions will be asked that you might not have the right answer to.