Alignment Conundrum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 amg
Alignment Conundrum

Greetings,

Symptom: Car pulls to the right excessively with HRE wheels and Nitto tires.

I bought a set of aftermarket wheels and tires (19 inch) and put them on my car. Several weeks afterwards, I took the car into the shop to get an alignment---the car was in spec.

Then, I switched the front drivers and passenger side tires, and the pull then switched to the LEFT (opposite direction).

So, I got a new tire from the discount tire and replaced each of the front tires with the new one---the end result---the car still pullls to the right!!!

Given the following:
1. Alignment is in spec per MB dealership
2. Visible inspection of the rims on a balance indicate no warpage
3. Replaced front tire with a new one, still pulls to right.
4. Car did not pull to the left initially with the new rims/tires, but the problem seemed to creep up over time.
5. The inside tread of the rear tires is worn more that the outside, but is uniform on both rear wheels.

What is the reason for the excessive drift? I can't think of anything else to troubleshoot the problem.

Paul
Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
You may have either a "radial pull" from one or more of the tires OR more likely, the (R) pull is being caused by one or more of your aftermarket 19" wheels. Is it possible you hit a bad pothole or something and damaged one or more of the wheels?

This happened to me when I got my first set of aftermarket 19" M6 Reps for my previous BMW 335i...the car pulled to the right no matter what (after switching tires around, checked alignment, etc.). Then, after I sold those wheels and bought more expensive, higher quality, monoforged aluminum alloy wheels, the car never pulled...straight as an arrow with the same tires!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 PM

c63 amg
That is a possiblity... However, I put the fronts on the balancer and watched them spin around looking for warpage... Didn't see anything.... however, I only checked the fronts...

Paul
Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 PM

C63AMG
Do another alignment.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Z99

c63 amg
Originally Posted by bustopoo
Greetings,

Symptom: Car pulls to the right excessively with HRE wheels and Nitto tires.

I bought a set of aftermarket wheels and tires (19 inch) and put them on my car. Several weeks afterwards, I took the car into the shop to get an alignment---the car was in spec.

Then, I switched the front drivers and passenger side tires, and the pull then switched to the LEFT (opposite direction).

So, I got a new tire from the discount tire and replaced each of the front tires with the new one---the end result---the car still pullls to the right!!!

Given the following:
1. Alignment is in spec per MB dealership
2. Visible inspection of the rims on a balance indicate no warpage
3. Replaced front tire with a new one, still pulls to right.
4. Car did not pull to the left initially with the new rims/tires, but the problem seemed to creep up over time.
5. The inside tread of the rear tires is worn more that the outside, but is uniform on both rear wheels.

What is the reason for the excessive drift? I can't think of anything else to troubleshoot the problem.

Paul
what kind of tires? I had same problem with Dunlop Direzzas. Put my Contis back on and problem went away. But, the Direzzas really stick
Old 09-18-2009, 01:11 PM

c63 amg
UPDATE:

The tires on my HRE wheels are Nittos. I put the stock 18s back on the car and the alignment tracks straight---so the problem relies in the HREs wheels and tires.

However, I put each wheel on the balancing machine and a trusty mechanic measured the run-out//road force//etc.. the rims aren't warped at all.

When I pulled the HREs off, the passenger rear tire has uneven wear on the inside of the wheel. Not slight uneven wear but very noticeable.

Would that uneven wear cause the car to pull right? I'm not sure since the car would pull the opposite way when I swapped the front wheels..

The mechanic said to take the car to the dealer with those wheels and have them align the vehicle to those wheels while keeping it in spec.

Any thought?... still puzzled.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bustopoo
UPDATE:

The tires on my HRE wheels are Nittos. I put the stock 18s back on the car and the alignment tracks straight---so the problem relies in the HREs wheels and tires.

However, I put each wheel on the balancing machine and a trusty mechanic measured the run-out//road force//etc.. the rims aren't warped at all.

When I pulled the HREs off, the passenger rear tire has uneven wear on the inside of the wheel. Not slight uneven wear but very noticeable.

Would that uneven wear cause the car to pull right? I'm not sure since the car would pull the opposite way when I swapped the front wheels..

The mechanic said to take the car to the dealer with those wheels and have them align the vehicle to those wheels while keeping it in spec.

Any thought?... still puzzled.
Yes, that's probably your culprit right there; something wrong with that tire...a radial pull perhaps, which is a steel belt defect in the tire itself. But it's probably too late for you to complain to Nitto.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 AM

c63 amg
True..

If it is infact the rear tire, then how come when I swap the front wheels the pull goes to the opposite side??
Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
whats interesting is that the C63 seems to run excessive negative camber in the rear, which causes the quick rear tire wear, and the uneven wear you are experiencing.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Oliverk
whats interesting is that the C63 seems to run excessive negative camber in the rear, which causes the quick rear tire wear, and the uneven wear you are experiencing.
I didn't have any uneven wear just fast wear, that is the result of the negative camber, but it should not cause the uneven wear.