C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your normal driving speed on the highway?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Also live in Germany and tend to drive at 200 kmh on the autobahn (where allowed). I had the car on the limiter for the first time the other day (indicated 260) got there very easily!

Oh yes and its generally the dutch not the americans in the left lane at 100 (usually with a caravan!)
Old 09-25-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
I know you're asking about in the USA but I'll give you a datapoint in Germany. Because of the heavy use of speed cameras for which there's no countermeasure other than the occasional oncoming driver who'll flash his lights as a warning and the large resulting fines, I normally stay within 10 km/h (6 mph) of the posted limits, especially in road construction zones.

But on the unrestricted areas of the autobahn, I typically cruise for extended periods in the 200 km/h (125 mph) range...slowing only when someone, usually an American, fails to correctly judge the overtake speed and moves into the left lane to pass a slower-moving vehicle. As you may know, driving rules restrict left lane usage to passing only although if you're traveling at warp speeds you can pretty much stay in the left because you're always passing somebody.

I especially like the eastern part of the A6 which passes Nürenburg and goes to the Czech border en route to Prague. That long stretch of road with a few gentle sweepers has very light traffic and unrestricted speeds for many, many miles. I usually drive it in the 240+ km/h (150 mph) range. Exhilarating!

BTW, if you get "flashed" by a photo camera, you get a letter in the mail with the points assigned including a form to transfer your fine from your bank account to the state's account. Very efficient.

Appeal it and they'll charge you 25 € extra and send you a high-resolution 8x10 sized photo with all the particulars overprinted. And I can tell you from experience, those photos will leave no doubt in your mind you were the driver...they are so clear, even at night, you can tell the brand of sunglasses you're wearing (daytime obviously).
The solution to your problem:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...onkey0908.html
Old 09-25-2009, 10:27 AM

Radio Flyer Big Flyer fully loaded with training wheels and NOS
Originally Posted by Jae Duk
How did he get caught going 210...in a veyron???
ahaha who knows but thats all worth it just for the story!

anyone here from Finland? now this is what really sucks...they determine the ticket based on the severity of the offense and the driver's income? pretty interesting for a country that produces so many rally drivers and racecar drivers and where it takes a few years to get a real liscense...

http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/wsj_finland.html
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C63 AMG
70-80 only
Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by Cap_Scarlet
Oh yes and its generally the dutch not the americans in the left lane at 100 (usually with a caravan!)
Yes, I should have called the Dutch out as well. More than once, I've had to get on the binders HARD for exactly the circumstances you cited...a small diesel-powered car with Dutch plates towing an oversize caravan who decides to pass a similar vehicle and takes five minutes to do so while straining to reach 100 km/h (60 mph) downhill with a tailwind.

But at least they normally don't move into the left lane in front of you when you have a high rate of overtake. Can't say the same though for many American military people, especially ones who just recently arrived in country. But in their defense, they really aren't used to the left-lane speeds and how far back they have to clear before moving left. Makes for sporty defensive driving in the vicinity of the large US military installations in Germany.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
I know you're asking about in the USA but I'll give you a datapoint in Germany. Because of the heavy use of speed cameras for which there's no countermeasure other than the occasional oncoming driver who'll flash his lights as a warning and the large resulting fines, I normally stay within 10 km/h (6 mph) of the posted limits, especially in road construction zones.

But on the unrestricted areas of the autobahn, I typically cruise for extended periods in the 200 km/h (125 mph) range...slowing only when someone, usually an American, fails to correctly judge the overtake speed and moves into the left lane to pass a slower-moving vehicle. As you may know, driving rules restrict left lane usage to passing only although if you're traveling at warp speeds you can pretty much stay in the left because you're always passing somebody.

I especially like the eastern part of the A6 which passes Nürenburg and goes to the Czech border en route to Prague. That long stretch of road with a few gentle sweepers has very light traffic and unrestricted speeds for many, many miles. I usually drive it in the 240+ km/h (150 mph) range. Exhilarating!

BTW, if you get "flashed" by a photo camera, you get a letter in the mail with the points assigned including a form to transfer your fine from your bank account to the state's account. Very efficient.

Appeal it and they'll charge you 25 € extra and send you a high-resolution 8x10 sized photo with all the particulars overprinted. And I can tell you from experience, those photos will leave no doubt in your mind you were the driver...they are so clear, even at night, you can tell the brand of sunglasses you're wearing (daytime obviously).
Damn, I have another awesome photo that's completely relevant to this but I can't post it (again)!!

I'll PM it to you....you'll get a good laugh.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kickR
Nope, wouldn't work here. If the driver couldn't be identified, they'd cite the registered owner of the vehicle with a healthy additional fine to boot. Get multiples and you'd be walking or taking public transportation in a heartbeat.

There was recently an article in the periodic ADAC (same as AAA in the US) magazine with a speed camera picture of a driver wearing a mask similar to this article. Turned out he was driving his friend's car but when the registered owner, his bud, found out the amount of the fine plus a 90-day driving suspension, he ratted him out.

What's this world coming to when friends don't cover for their friends?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 PM

OK, here's the picture SebringSilver was trying to post. Guaranteed though, the ones you get through the mail are MUCH better than this one.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
OK, here's the picture SebringSilver was trying to post. Guaranteed though, the ones you get through the mail are MUCH better than this one.

ROFL

I wasn't "unable" to post it. I just didn't think it was appropriate for the general public.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:55 PM

So you think I should delete it? Maybe I'll be banned back to the Porsche forum.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM

C63
So you think I should delete it? Maybe I'll be banned back to the Porsche forum.
At least they have their seat belts on .......
Old 09-25-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Let's hope that MBWorld members (and its Admin) aren't easily offended.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
perhaps a work warning would be appropriate?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
You can't even see anything lol
Old 09-25-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by dmyrick
i figured tickets were a lot tougher in the north east.
Not an issue for me even if I get one.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 PM

2016 C450 (on order)
I think this depends a lot on where you live- here in SoCal typical highway speed is 80 miles per hour.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 PM

w204 - 350 N other white cars
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
ROFL

I wasn't "unable" to post it. I just didn't think it was appropriate for the general public.

hehehehehhehehehehehehhehehe...... very very funny stuff