***P30 Discontinued****

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by rage2
This is NOT the M159. The M159 differs in that it's got equal length headers, different cams, different valvetrain, dry sump, individual throttle bodies, different intake... the list goes on.

What this package does on the C63 is reduce rotating mass by 3kg. It's no different than taking 3kg off the flywheel (if that's even doable). You're not going to get more power out of it, what you will get is better acceleration in 1st, and maybe 2nd gear where accelerating that extra 3kg will actually make a difference.

I'm willing to bet that a chipped P31 vs without will produce nearly identical power.
Yes your correct and I agree. The M156 was changed so much for the SLS that AMG dubbed it as the M159, but with the PPplus and some internals being changed then its not really the M156 either. I am sure that later down the road we will see the new M159 more in the future AMG lineup and the M156 is on its way out.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Z99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 amg
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
It doesn't appear that the limited slip is included in the P31 package which is another $2K making the total cost close to $8k and no suspension.
I see AMG using the upgraded pistons and rods to lower the cost of the new SLS componets by offering the parts in a higher volume car like the C63. Looks like the track junkies will have to go to after market springs to stay with the M3's on the track.
I had PP suspension installed and I was over 2 seconds slower on my lap times. The dealer talked to AMG rep and I tried to work with MB USA. It was a very expensive upgrade. They did not sound suprised. They were not suprised by the front PP rotors disintegrating after one track session either. It makes total sense to me that they have eliminated suspension and replaced rotors and pads. MB would not refund me, but dealer worked with me to install coilovers and brakes for free. PP suspension feels stiff and most people assume it is faster on the track. Actually, it is too stiff and the car tends to skip on high speed corners. Rather scary at 120 mph.
Reached out to Renntech for help during this process. Hartmut, the owner, uses softer set up for the track and takes the two piece PP rotors off and replaces them with the solid steel non pp rotors for the track. I think his feedback is probably valued at AMG. I still have the struts for sale.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by Z99
I had PP suspension installed and I was over 2 seconds slower on my lap times. The dealer talked to AMG rep and I tried to work with MB USA. It was a very expensive upgrade. They did not sound suprised. They were not suprised by the front PP rotors disintegrating after one track session either. It makes total sense to me that they have eliminated suspension and replaced rotors and pads. MB would not refund me, but dealer worked with me to install coilovers and brakes for free. PP suspension feels stiff and most people assume it is faster on the track. Actually, it is too stiff and the car tends to skip on high speed corners. Rather scary at 120 mph.
Reached out to Renntech for help during this process. Hartmut, the owner, uses softer set up for the track and takes the two piece PP rotors off and replaces them with the solid steel non pp rotors for the track. I think his feedback is probably valued at AMG. I still have the struts for sale.
Sounds like the factory missed the mark as stiffer isn't always faster. Does any one know if the spring rates on the PP vs. non PP? My guess is the springs are not the problem it's the shock valving is too harsh and non complient. Solution is KW varient 3 coil overs.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Sounds like the factory missed the mark as stiffer isn't always faster. Does any one know if the spring rates on the PP vs. non PP? My guess is the springs are not the problem it's the shock valving is too harsh and non complient. Solution is KW varient 3 coil overs.
Not surprised either. The M3 has an electronically adjustable suspension and I've read that track times are not helped by going to the "track" settings.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Totally depends on the track and the driver. Stiffer suspension generally helps with tracks where there's a lot of transitions, and hurts when its bumpy. Some drivers are more comfortable handling high speed bumps than others and can manage the compromise.

You're gonna find tracks that are faster for PP, and tracks that are faster for non PP.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 AM

axe muderer with headlights
Originally Posted by Z99
Very interesting.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 AM

2012 E63 PP, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2012 Boxster S
Originally Posted by Z99
I had more or less the same feedback from another PP owner which is why I spec'd the LSD without the PP (EU 2010 model).

Ken
Old 11-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Z99

c63 amg
Agreed, KW probably best choice if you get setting right. But, after my expensive mistakes, I decided to go cheaper route and got H&Rs. Worked out well. Along with Rennteh pads, and solid steel non PP rotors, I beat my PP set up by over 4 seconds and by over 2 seconds my original non PP suspension set up. Plus rotors survived. Expensve sport, but only one way to find out what works. Currently having my John Works mini set up for the track as well. Working with Mini tuner, he also told me to stay away from stiff set ups. I was asking for H&R track coilovers. He told me to keep stock struts and just change springs along with a rear sway bar. Another experienced tuner telling me to stay away from a very stiff setup. Reminds me, if anyone wants to see a fast lap, google RMW Mini Road Atlanta. Impressive.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 PM

Renntech C63 AMG; Samoa Orange R8 GT 115/333
I recently bought a 2010 c63 and was wondering if you guys think there might be a retrofit kit for the pp plus

Last edited by Tyler1012; 11-09-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Tyler1012
I recently bought a 2010 c63 and was wondering if you guys think there might be a retrofit kit for the pp plus
Not a chance.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Merc63
Not a chance.

+63, not a chance !! Have you seen the changes to the engine alone??? Time to trade er in and get the December 2009 P31 production.

Look on the bright side, if you have the 2010 P30 Package, you got a great deal on the LSD!!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by Z99
Interesting post. Audi had the "stiffer is faster" misconception with all there warm cars like the S4. Finally got it right with dialed in suspension with the B7 RS4...sounds like AMG need to speak to them, or dare I say it, "M"

I''ll ref you next time someone says the M3 brakes are poor on the track vs c63...

-Rob
Old 11-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Z99

c63 amg
Originally Posted by transferred
Interesting post. Audi had the "stiffer is faster" misconception with all there warm cars like the S4. Finally got it right with dialed in suspension with the B7 RS4...sounds like AMG need to speak to them, or dare I say it, "M"

I''ll ref you next time someone says the M3 brakes are poor on the track vs c63...

-Rob
As one tuner said, so much of it is marketing. That said, the solid steel non PP rotors are just fine. Originaly I had problems with the pads. They disintegrated. Thought going to PP rotors would help. But, problem was pads not rotors. I have Renntech pads now and they set up works very well with solid rotors. No fade and the rotors are fine after some long track events. They are a little noisy, but I am happy with set up. My friend tracks a 2008 M5 with me. He suffered from significant fade and pads would not hold up. Switched to yellow Pagids and everything is fine. The desire to eliminate noise and dust has a downside. Pads seem to be the weak link in the M5 and the C63. I do not have much color on the M3 brakes.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
RS14s transform any M or AMG, no doubt
Old 11-14-2009, 06:10 PM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
In the P31, how much are really parts and how much are really engine management.

When installing a K1 ecu for example, what would be the real difference, 30HP or much less? If you think the upgrade is 20% parts and 80% ecu, then installing a K1 will show gains of only 6HP compared to a NON P31 car. Onthe other side if the parts are making the big difference, the package is somewhat worth it cause getting that extra 30hp later on will be tough if you do a lot of modifications on the car.

How would I know? Need to finalize my order before christmas and this sudden change is driving me mad!

I'm not a huge fan of the suede/carbon steering wheel, or slotted/drilled discs (bad experiences on the track), or red calipers. That's pretty much what's left, lighter internals.

For 6000$ they are a lot of things you can do that will make a lot more than 30HP. Get a chip, OS Giklen LSd, filters and strut bar and you'd be in a much better track setup and street setup.

What do you think? I guess I'll wait on the final info from the dealer.

thanks!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:43 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chief63
In the P31, how much are really parts and how much are really engine management.

When installing a K1 ecu for example, what would be the real difference, 30HP or much less? If you think the upgrade is 20% parts and 80% ecu, then installing a K1 will show gains of only 6HP compared to a NON P31 car. Onthe other side if the parts are making the big difference, the package is somewhat worth it cause getting that extra 30hp later on will be tough if you do a lot of modifications on the car.

How would I know? Need to finalize my order before christmas and this sudden change is driving me mad!

I'm not a huge fan of the suede/carbon steering wheel, or slotted/drilled discs (bad experiences on the track), or red calipers. That's pretty much what's left, lighter internals.

For 6000$ they are a lot of things you can do that will make a lot more than 30HP. Get a chip, OS Giklen LSd, filters and strut bar and you'd be in a much better track setup and street setup.

What do you think? I guess I'll wait on the final info from the dealer.

thanks!
I'd just go with the LSD option and save the $6k for K1 tune, suspension + other goodies...or a K2 tune.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:33 AM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by avengerboater
I'd just go with the LSD option and save the $6k for K1 tune, suspension + other goodies...or a K2 tune.
Thanks for your advice avengerboater. So you would go with the stock LSD or high end aftermarket one? I guess if you can't afford the best right away its better to wait than get the cheap option.

take care.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:08 AM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by hcetzneb
One more ???? Your so smart but you missed a something if i was posting MAYBE's how would i have order codes P31 and P471 and have the exact pricing for them!!!!!
What are you, 12?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
How is this being 12 ??? everyone eles got over this weeks ago. I was offering info to people whom own or were concidering to buy a c63 and some member was confused on were i got the info from ... He said this was just rumor but it cant be a maybe when ordering codes are avaliable... So please go back under the rock you crawled out of
Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 AM

Porsche 997 Turbo
Wow..."passionate" discussion.

The new C63 Performance Plus Package does not include a new engine, it is the same C63 engine used before but with new conrods, a new crankshaft and SLS pistons.
Some people apparently think this is an ECU upgrade only but it isn't.
AMG of course uses a new engine software too but it is only part of the package.
The limited slip differential is a seperate option, same applies to the optional Vmax increase to 280 kph (175 mph).
I know this has been posted in seperate posts already but since this thread is from November, I just wanted to confirm it.

0-125 mph acceleration time decreases from 15.2 seconds (standard) to 13.9 (Performance Package Plus).

More information: apparently the C63 doesn't get the LED daylight running lights of the C-class but in conjunction with the "advanced light package" (I hope this is the right name for it in English), you get LED taillights and LED blinkers.

I was last week at my local german Mercedes dealer to get more information about the C63 and he showed me all the brochures and price lists. First cars with PPP should hit the streets soon, he offered me a brandnew C63 with PPP for early March 2010 delivery.

Last edited by Rennteam; 12-14-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by Rennteam
Wow..."passionate" discussion.

The new C63 Performance Plus Package does not include a new engine, it is the same C63 engine used before but with new conrods, a new crankshaft and SLS pistons.
Some people apparently think this is an ECU upgrade only but it isn't.
AMG of course uses a new engine software too but it is only part of the package.
The limited slip differential is a seperate option, same applies to the optional Vmax increase to 280 kph (175 mph).
I know this has been posted in seperate posts already but since this thread is from November, I just wanted to confirm it.

0-125 mph acceleration time decreases from 15.2 seconds (standard) to 13.9 (Performance Package Plus).

More information: apparently the C63 doesn't get the LED daylight running lights of the C-class but in conjunction with the "advanced light package" (I hope this is the right name for it in English), you get LED taillights and LED blinkers.

I was last week at my local german Mercedes dealer to get more information about the C63 and he showed me all the brochures and price lists. First cars with PPP should hit the streets soon, he offered me a brandnew C63 with PPP for early March 2010 delivery.
I was at the US military sales for MB on Saturday here in Germany and asked about the ppplus and was told that American spec C63,s wont see this package until the MY2011....
Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by AMGC60-3
I was at the US military sales for MB on Saturday here in Germany and asked about the ppplus and was told that American spec C63,s wont see this package until the MY2011....
Not true - I just picked up a C63 off the lot. I was considering ordering a car, and my dealer was offering me a C63 with the new performance package for early December build, 2nd week of January delivery.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM

That PKG is just insane add some mods might break into the high 10's !!!