C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Clear Bra/Rock Guard scratches after install??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
3M Clear Bra/Rock Guard scratches after install??

I've just had a local dealership install the protection package on my car--which includes 3M rock guard, paint sealant, and interior sealant. Keep in mind, the dealership doesn't do this themself--they contracts an outside installer to do all of this. When i picked up the car, the rock guard seems to be really, REALLY scuffed up--filled with tons of swirl marks and some medium scuff marks. I was like, WTF? I spoke to the manager of that dealership and he said some of it will go away after the rock guard "cures." He said he will contact the installer on Monday and try to take care of it.

My question is: is it normal for the clear bra to have so many visible swirl marks and scuff marks immediately after install? I was also given an explanation that those scuff marks came from the installer using a squeegee during the installation. This is a new car and I've never even washed it once yet. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by avengerboater
My question is: is it normal for the clear bra to have so many visible swirl marks and scuff marks immediately after install?
I'm no expert, but I had a clear bra (Venture Film) installed on my black car, a color that just happens to show every defect in the surface of the film. I had a few minor straight lateral scratches that I could see but in general the film surface was almost paint-like in gloss and absolutely swirl and scuff free. If it were my car I would have the film removed and new film installed by someone else. I wouldn't let the installer compound/polish the film with a buffer as he/she will likely do...long-term that's a disaster in the making.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
or, just have the film removed and do without it. If you have non metallic paint, then it's relatively simple to fix the swirl marks through polishing and fixing rock chips is not hard either. I've never been a fan of the protective finishes, I'd prefer to do it myself. Although, especially with a metallic, I could understand if you're not the car detailing type to have this stuff put on..
Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
I got my entire car covered in 3M.

On the hood, there was a defect in the material that looks like a scratch. Because they started the material on the left side of the hood and moved to the right, they didn't see the defect until they were nearly finished. I was scheduled to pick up the car an hour after they found the problem, so they just left it for me to come back later to replace.

Now, after the winter, I am getting new 3M on the hood. It should be replaced under warranty.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Z99

c63 amg
No, I do not think so. I have Black car with Clear Bra. Mine came out clear. I would have them do it over.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I purchased my '09 c63 from a dealership brand new and had purchased the clear bra package on the black Obsidian paint. From my experience, black is one color that a clear bra would truly benefit. They did indeed bring out this "kid" who placed it on the entire front and partial hood. It was a very professional job however, you could not tell the demarcation of the clear bra and the natural paint. No swirl marks or anything. Immaculate and well worth it if you really care for your car and how it will look in 5 years. They guy that placed it was telling me (while I made sure I watched him put it on the whole time so that he wouldn't manhandle the car) that he had gone through specific course work training to be able to be qualified. My point is that I am so sick of reading threads where we have so many members being tossed around by MB dealerships it makes me sick. Buying a MB and at the prices we pay is no joke. They should own up to their service and work preformed and you should not leave until that car looks exactly how it should and you want it. Go back and get down their throats until they man up and do the freekin' thing right. Afterall, you paid and are not getting what you envisioned. Sorry about your frustration.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:44 PM

C63 AMG
Thanks, Zephyr. I'm taking it back there on Thursday and they'll have the shop take a look at it. I was pretty upset because I felt that I had wasted an entire day when the finished product ended up as crappy as this was--on top of paying $$$ for it. We'll see what happens and how they'll "fix" it.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2009 - C63 Black/Black
I have the 3M product on my 09 and it looks almost impossible to see except on a few small places.

Take the car back and make them do it over again... I will tell you that my installer said that the C63 was the hardest car he has ever done. My guy spent over 9 hours on my car and charged me $750.00. On a scale of 1-10 it was an 11..

Take it back and have then re-do it or give you the money back.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree with beastdriver 100% . The guy took 7 hours and said that it was very difficult to get into every nook and cranny. i watched him on his hands and knees and on this mini stool applying it like he was doing brain surgery. They charged me $1100 at the dealer. I know, I know, rip off but its warranteed and it looks like glass. They will re-do it with any damage. Make sure he/she gets the side mirrors too. I think the clear bra is a must and worth every penny. Avengerboater, keep us updated on how thet treat you and how it looks. Can't wait until you step back and say, "damn that looks nice..."
Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 AM

C63 AMG
Will do. I'll see how it turns out Thursday. Thanks for all the input, guys!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I agree with beastdriver 100% . The guy took 7 hours and said that it was very difficult to get into every nook and cranny. i watched him on his hands and knees and on this mini stool applying it like he was doing brain surgery. They charged me $1100 at the dealer. I know, I know, rip off but its warranteed and it looks like glass. They will re-do it with any damage. Make sure he/she gets the side mirrors too. I think the clear bra is a must and worth every penny. Avengerboater, keep us updated on how thet treat you and how it looks. Can't wait until you step back and say, "damn that looks nice..."
My installers did the A-pillars, headlights and foglights also. They were a little concerned about how the contours of the headlight lens but that came out totally perfectly...there is absolutely no way to tell they are covered.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey, BhAMG, headlights and foglights?!! I never thought of that! Nice! I might have to go back and pay them a visit and ask them to add those on. Did it look nice? Could they "burn" and turn yellow? Do you then get them redone every year or so?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Hey, BhAMG, headlights and foglights?!! I never thought of that! Nice! I might have to go back and pay them a visit and ask them to add those on. Did it look nice? Could they "burn" and turn yellow? Do you then get them redone every year or so?
Absolutely cannot tell they were done but the shop that did it (Premier in Orange, CA) is amongst the best in the business by reputation...my guess based on what I've seen so far is that the film will last there as long as on any other part of the car.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey bhamg, I just called the MB stealership here and they said they have never done the lights or fog lights on any car because they can melt and burn and that it can distort the light making it a liability on their part...is this true? How have yours survived the heat? I would like to have it done because it can obviously protect the expensive replacment alternative...Please let me know...
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Hey bhamg, I just called the MB stealership here and they said they have never done the lights or fog lights on any car because they can melt and burn and that it can distort the light making it a liability on their part...is this true? How have yours survived the heat? I would like to have it done because it can obviously protect the expensive replacment alternative...Please let me know...
I have never heard of a problem with covering the headlight lens and some of my friends have had a film on their headlights and/or foglights for four or more years w/o any issues whatsoever. If a film can successfully be applied on a black car where the painted surface can be over 200°F in the sun then IMO it'll be fine on the headlight lens...many kits just to cover those lenses have been sold and applied for years...perhaps googling to see if there are any issues will put your mind at rest. Call a top clear film shop and ask them to be sure. The C63 headlight lens is not an easy one to cover due to the contours but you would not believe how mine looks...there is no way to tell it is filmed...my installers were pretty proud of their work. BTW the film is only something like 7 mil thick so there is no distortion, period. That is a ridiculous assertion on their part.

Last edited by bhamg; 12-01-2009 at 08:26 PM.