C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That popping noise you heard? Yeah, that was my transmission.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:07 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by C63 Guy
So, I have to make an apology to LZH:

It was inappropriate of me to call you a "judgemental *****" and a "complete douchebag". I was rather taken aback and hurt by being called an idiot, a jerkoff and a liar by someone that doesn't know me in any way and I responded poorly.

I generally try to engender good will, provide positive feedback, and entertain others on the forum and that response to your post was a major lapse on my part. Your motives and problems are your own and really shouldn't affect me the way they did. But they did, and I took offense and I apologize for the name calling.

Josh

Josh.....look dude....I'm just saying, it's NOT SMART to advertise the way you drive your car in a public forum; and in the same post say your trying to get a driveline failure covered under warranty.
Perhaps in your first post, the way you describe driving your car; that was just an embellishment, or exaggeration done simply to excite the readers, RIGHT ?? wink wink, nod nod....I mean, you haven't really done hundreds of burnouts or modified your car in any way other than cosmetically, have you?? wink wink, nod nod...
Thanks for what you said...I too am sorry for being a bit harsh, honestly. I guess we just misunderstood each other

Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
LOL, make up sex is necessary.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
On the side, I am really surprised that after quite a number of years with the developement of this 7-g transmission, MB still has problems with it. Given that our engines are handbuilt with highest care, couldn't MB devote just a bit more care on the transmission as well?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Originally Posted by yooker
LOL, make up sex is necessary.

You Tube it with after sex burnouts.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 AM

2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by bhamg
Sorry, I don't buy this line of reasoning for a second. I too remember those M-B ads that stated "That's why we gave it 451hp." They didn't say "380," they said "451." If I put on tires (which I will shortly) that give me a crack at putting 451hp down to the pavement, you better believe that I expect OE drivetrain components to stand up to that. This is the main reason I bought this car. GMAFB.
The AMG engineers fitted 255 rears on the car; that's what is recommended and that is what is shown on the commercial everyone seems to rely so heavily on. You can't pick and choose the things you like from a commercial, modify the car outside the recommended parameters, and then expect to have everything else work perfectly with your mods. While I think that a slightly wider tire (265 or 275) will be fine on the car, going to something like a 315 and then pushing the car to its limits on multiple occassions is just asking for trouble. Nothing may happen but you are surely increasing the risk that something will. The only way to know is to have an AMG engineer confirm your tire selection and I doubt they would do that. Anyone know what the widest stock rear on a 63 series car is? And even then, you're dealing with a chassis from a C car.

I acknowledge that we do not know whether the OP's mods caused or attributed to the failure but when you are extracting an additional 150 hp out of the car, it raises suspicion. We will find out the exact cause and lay all speculation to rest once the shop techs have diagnosed the problem and determined a cause.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
Widest rear tire is 275 with stock 18" rims in the US...dunno about the 19" option in other countries. I think aftermarket rims you can fit up to 285.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
when you put a wider tire on the rear that stress that you alliviated from the tires spinning now has to go somewhere. the chasis and transmission would be my best guess as to where the stress is going to end up. now will going up one size kill your tranny? i dont know. probably only the AMG guys know. im sure they looked into wider tires. sounds like the perfect storm to me. wider tires + more power = more traction and more stress on the tranny..... i wish the OP the best of luck but this is one reason why i choose to leave the car as it was made from the AMG factory. plenty of power for me ... actually too much. you see this all the time with vettes and mustangs and even M3s where the guys hop them up and the reliability takes a nose dive. i feel that the way the car came is probaby the best medium for performance and reliability. if something breaks ill just take it in without a worry about a tune or other mods. i dont race this thing anyway and if i was into track days i think i would buy a purpose built car for the track and not a small luxury sedan..
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 AM

1974 Bronco
fast cheap reliable

you can only have two of the above.

as I would not want to replace a transmission out of pocket (best of luck with warranty work! I know I'd try it - right or wrong)...bottom line is, fast cars break and reliable fast cars are expensive to maintain.

engine(modified)---------tranny---------tires(modified)

stevie wonder could see thru ray charles glasses what is going to break.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM

2009 C63, 2500HD, OlllO Rubicon
So are you insinuating that 275’s will void the warranty? Do you know this for a fact?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by C63 Guy
Anyway, there might be something to that 565 lb.ft. torque rating on the transmission that Mercedes quotes. Or maybe not...
Wow man, sorry to hear about your trans. I have heard of a few 63 transmissions popping, a C63 and a couple of E63's I know a local guy that broke one in his bone stock E63 that he drive like a little old lady so I don't think your mods were entirely to blame. Obviously the added torque and abuse did not help matter, but IMO you just had a bad one all along, probably would have gone if you left your car stock. I also believe they can take much more than the 565ft lbs they are rated at, I'm sure you are familar with my car, I beat it pretty good and I'm pretty sure I'm putting down higher HP and TQ numbers than your car and have sparyed 100+ shot of nitrous though it on drag slicks probably 70 plus passes, when I am spraying a full shot I'm making over 700 ft lbs of tq, if there was a known defect in all of these 63transmissions it would have cropped up on me by now.

I hope things work out for you.

...one more thing, you guys have to assume that when you mod a car these days even in the slightest way that you have voided your warranty. It always puzzles me when I hear about somebody that pops a motor or trans on a heavily modded car and then acts suprised when the warranty is voided. You play you pay, you have to assume the second that you modify something that all future repairs are coming out of your pocket, if you can not afford the out of pocket repairs then leave it alone.

Last edited by jrcart; 01-05-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by jrcart
...one more thing, you guys have to assume that when you mod a car these days even in the slightest way that you have voided your warranty. It always puzzles me when I hear about somebody that pops a motor or trans on a heavily modded car and then acts suprised when the warranty is voided. You play you pay, you have to assume the second that you modify something that all future repairs are coming out of your pocket, if you can not afford the out of pocket repairs then leave it alone.
One simple phrase that means so much.

With that being said, good luck with the claim.