Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW 335d owner > C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Although not as quick as a fully modded C63, a tuned 335 can actually be quite fast..... I think Warren ran a few 11.9x @ 117 to 119 with just tune/race gas/drag radials. Yesterday at Sacramento he trapped 124 mph after adding down pipes and Meth injection. Here is his post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/3889212-post183.html

Both are great cars, but in my opinion, the C63 has more potential since you're starting with a detuned 500 hp engine to begin with.... also you get the AMG goodies, such as, suspension, brakes, wheels, etc....
For god sake, he said 335d. d as in diesel
NOT i

d.
okay?
d.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
Originally Posted by djcevo
No offence others, but at last....another C63 owner from the UK!!!

It may be the fact that they are not too hot on fuel that there isnt many in the UK but I like that, had mine a year now and still love it. Had mine remapped so it goes like F**k!!

You ever down near Brands Hatch?? Darryl
Hi Darryl

Yes - good to see someone a little closer to home for me! You're right, there aren't many of us about but that does mean we have a pretty unique car! What made you choose the C63 over, say, an M3?

Who remapped your's? Was it noticeably different from standard?

I'm thinking of a Kleeman K1 given the good reports it seems to get but it costs the same in ££'s as people on here are paying in $$'s

I'm based in the East Midlands just north of Leicester so I'm not exactly close to Brands Hatch but nothing more than an hour and half away!

Andrew
Old 01-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Palmball
Hi - a fellow UK C63 owner on here at last?

Sorry, I saw one of your posts on 'e90post' and I guess you're the same guy! You may have noticed a very outspoken member of that forum who really promotes the C63 to the annoyance of all the M3 owners.

Well, he owns what is regarded as the fastest 1/4 mile 335d in the UK (feel free to disagree!) and takes the performance of his car very seriously (well, he is very good at launching it!).

He got so fond of the C63 after he had a blast in mine at Santa Pod and subsequently beat him in a straight drag race (I'm rubbish at the drag strip technique and he rarely loses so he was suitably impressed!). To put it into perspective, when I owned an e92 M3 there was nothing I could do about a tuned 335d until well over 100 mph but the C63 is significantly faster.

The point is, the C63's performance is simply awesome and despite very similar official performance figures to an M3, my experience indicates that it punches well above it's class once rolling! I'm not a fan of the 1/4 mile as a form of judging real world performance but the C63 was consistently around 1 - 1.5 seconds faster over this compared to an M3/335d which is not to be sniffed at.

Coming from a 335d, you're going to be used to huge amounts of torque. I never owned the diesel 335 but I have driven one a couple of times and they are extremely good. So, firstly, great though the C63 is, it doesn't come close to that instance performance at 1500-2000 rpm that the 335d can deliver. However, it does still have well over 600nm of torque COMBINED with the ability to rev to 7000rpm and deliver a real 450+bhp as standard (I say 'real' as it's a hugely powerful motor which is relatively unstressed in the C63 application. Main competitors such as M3, RS4 and even your tuned 335d are already pretty highly tuned and barely make 400bhp).

The 335d is an awesome real-world motor but I can guarantee you've chosen probably one of the few petrol cars that won't make you feel like you're missing something.

Get used to petrol stations though - my 335i did about 28mpg, my M3 did about 20mpg and my M6 nearly broke me at 9mpg! The C63 averages 16mpg, less if you cane it. You will put in £75 worth of super unleaded every 200-250 miles depending on how you drive it (yes, that's right to all of you on the other side of the pond - it costs us about $120 everytime we fill up our C63's) . I find it painful and downright inconvenient coming from an M3 so I can't imagine how you're going to adapt from a 335d that probably does 35mpg!

Also, tyres - someone has already mentioned this but even with no track days I got through a rear set in UNDER 5000 miles! I also have the 19" wheels which means very rare tyre sizes and lot's of expense - but you'd be used to that if you've got 19" runflats on your 335d!

Even having owned a 335i, M3 and and M6, there are still some other great points that stand out for me. The inside of the C63 is much nicer, better built and more refined than a 3-series and the seats are awesome...but I guess this is all down to personal opinion. Also, I can concur with another members comments that the Comand interface is way better than iDrive (current latest iDrive excepted). What you can't get away from and still amazes me after 5 months of ownership is the sound - nothing this side of a genuine supercar (not even the V10 in the M6) sounds so violent! You cannot hide in this car - people hear you coming and people do stare!

So, I hope you enjoy your C63 experience and I hope you keep us updated - there aren't many of us C63 owners in the UK!
Ahh, I've not visited this forum for a few days but yes, i saw you on the 'other side' on those BM forums and i think i know the guy your talking about
Its only now i see us from the UK are in the vast minority

To give an update, the C63 is just... brutal and fierce - and i haven't driven it in the dry yet. It really is a licence losing machine and death machine at the same time
The noise when cold on start up is incredible and i make sure i leave my door open when starting up now to get the full effect! The look i got from a souped up Nova boy racer was priceless at the petrol/(gas) station.

The 335d does have incredible torque from those low revs (and i think the EU versions have more stock HP than US models??) Remapped mine has around 300HP.

In the C63 so far i've found none of that slight turbo lag the 335d has only to be thrust forward. AMG is just forward, forward, forward as soon as you touch the gas but at the same time a nice smooth ride when not gassing it. Its also a softer ride although that could be the run flats on the 335d.

Fuel is a ***** tho and its drained me of £60 in under a day. You US guys are so lucky in gas prices compared to us and don't even get me started on the £400+ per year road tax.
It looks like the weather will be drier tom so hopefully can test it out more and learn more about command system.

On first impressions, the BM's I Drive (v2) looks better but time will tell.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by matt2008

To give an update, the C63 is just... brutal and fierce - and i haven't driven it in the dry yet. It really is a licence losing machine and death machine at the same time
The noise when cold on start up is incredible and i make sure i leave my door open when starting up now to get the full effect! The look i got from a souped up Nova boy racer was priceless at the petrol/(gas) station.
I also start the engine with the door open. When it's cold it's also better.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 PM

AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
I'm glad you're liking the car - I've had mine 5 months now and normally start to get itchy for a change (I rarely keep a car much longer than 7-8 months!). But I'm still amazed by the sound, the performance...just the whole package really. Nothing else is seriously tempting me away from it!

Interesting you say that it rides more comfortably than the 335d - it is definitely the run-flats as my non-run flat e92 M3 rode much better than my C63. However, I do have the performance pack which includes 20% stiffer springs - something it really didn't need as part of that option!

Well, enjoy it on your first dry day tomorrow
Old 01-17-2010, 09:04 AM

c63 amg
I'm glad you're liking the car - I've had mine 5 months now and normally start to get itchy for a change (I rarely keep a car much longer than 7-8 months!). But I'm still amazed by the sound, the performance...just the whole package really. Nothing else is seriously tempting me away from it!
I just came back for the Montreal auto Show yesterday.

You are so right. There is nothing that is really tempting me away from my C63.

here is my list of maybes

335d, well, it's a diesel, sound of engine???

Nissan GT-R, more expensive, harsh ride, Back seat??? maybe for amputees
engine sound or lack of it

Porsche GT3 2.5 times the money, plus not really a "rainy" driver.

if There was one car that I would rather have than my C63 except for the Audi R10 v10.

But then you still need a car with a decent boot...
Old 01-17-2010, 01:28 PM

AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
Yeah, it is very difficult trying to find a replacement...not that I need one

Ones that I have been considering are:

GT-R - wil have fantastic performance but maybe just a bit too hardcore for a daily drive and I would miss the 'Germanic' quality of MB's, BMW's etc

Jaguar XFR - this is getting some seriously good reviews and the interior is superb. But (here in the UK at least), the image of Jaguar is still a bit 'old man' and despite having the 500bhp supercharged engine, it isn't really any quicker than the C63. It also looks a bit too much like a regular XF...I might have to go for test drive to see what all the fuss is about!

M3 (again) - been there done that but they are awesome handling cars. Still, I'd miss the C63's performance, quality (much better than the M3's) and, in the UK at least, rarity.

Ford Focus diesel - well, it would be different and make me appreciate my cars more

Seriously though, I am actually considering another C63 but with the P31 Performance Pack - with nearly 500bhp, that will be wild! I'd also have the Designo leather dash as that would lift the interior ambience to another level.

And if I had the budget for an R8 V10, I think I might just take a risk and go for an Aston V12 Vantage and drive one of the sexiest looking cars in existence!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 PM

c63 amg
Yeah, it is very difficult trying to find a replacement...not that I need one

Ones that I have been considering are:

GT-R - wil have fantastic performance but maybe just a bit too hardcore for a daily drive and I would miss the 'Germanic' quality of MB's, BMW's etc

Jaguar XFR - this is getting some seriously good reviews and the interior is superb. But (here in the UK at least), the image of Jaguar is still a bit 'old man' and despite having the 500bhp supercharged engine, it isn't really any quicker than the C63. It also looks a bit too much like a regular XF...I might have to go for test drive to see what all the fuss is about!

M3 (again) - been there done that but they are awesome handling cars. Still, I'd miss the C63's performance, quality (much better than the M3's) and, in the UK at least, rarity.
You hit the nail right on the head.

I guess with your fuel price in the UK C63 aren't very popular.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 PM

C63 AMG
No rain today but roads still wet. This machine is brutal in manual mode with the back end stepping out and wheel spinning like crazy with DSC on

Palmball, a Focus!! Get a 335d
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
We have both, remapped 335d and c63. 335d is just amazing on diesel
Old 04-24-2011, 09:22 PM

'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Originally Posted by rory breaker
My only complaint is the car is a bit stiff with the PP - but I knew that going into it and ride comfort is wayyyy down on the list of important things to consider for me.
LOL, the C63 is pretty stiff even without the PP!

I guess a stiff suspension is hard to avoid if you want good handling with limited body roll in a car with a relatively high center of gravity (as compared to, say, an R8, Cayman, 911, etc.).
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by princemarko
The C63 is a monster. You'll beat anything on the street with maybe the exception of a new Cadillac CTS-V.

0-60 you are looking at 3.9-4.2 seconds.
I am not sure about your understanting of "beating everything on the streets".

Last edited by C63newdude; 04-24-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
On the street a C63 cannot be beat by a M3. On the track, with extremely experienced drivers, the M3 can edge the C63 out. The question is were do you do most of your driving and how experienced are you.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by princemarko
The C63 is a monster. You'll beat anything on the street with may be the exception of a new Cadillac CTS-V.

0-60 you are looking at 3.9-4.2 seconds.
A very nice thought that I wish I could fully agree with. If you're only speaking of 4 doors you maybe correct besides the Cad CTS-V. Not sure about the Porsche Panamera but it's so fugly if it were my dog I'd shave it's *** and make it walk backwards..wait on second thought the back is more fugly than the front. Of course there is the CLK63 Black Edition, the SLR, the AMG SLS, the Ford GT, the GTR, Porsche 996tt/997tt/GT2/GT3RS. This not take into account the various Ferrari's and Lambos. Of course all these cars cost more than a C63 but then again there is the Corvette ZR1 and Shelby GT500 to contend with. However none of these cars have the stealth factor. They all scream look at me and give me a ticket. You may not be the fastest monster on the block but you'll be the last one standing. Stay stealthy my friends.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 04-25-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
To OP, I am glad you will get to experience the joy of a C63 soon, but please change your title from ">" to "->" to avoid further confusion .

Sheep
Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
A very nice thought that I wish I could fully agree with. If you're only speaking of 4 doors you maybe correct besides the Cad CTS-V. Not sure about the Porsche Panamera but it's so fugly if it were my dog I'd shave it's *** and make it walk backwards. Off course there is the CLK63 Black Edition, the SLR, the AMG SLS, the Ford GT, the GTR, Porsche 996tt/997tt/GT2/GT3RS. This not take into account the various Ferrari's and Lambos. Of course all these cars cost more than a C63 but then again there is the Corvette ZR1 and Shelby GT500 to contend with. However none of these cars have the stealth factor. They all scream look at me and give me a ticket. You may not be the fastest monster on the block but you'll be the last one standing. Stay stealthy my friends.
lol i thought the same thing until i saw it in person. still not the greatest looking car but it looks a lot better than in pictures..