Sponsored by:

Turbo or supercharged 63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
Turbo or supercharged 63

Will there be any forced induction kits for the 63 engines anytime soon. Maybe like a low boost supercharger? I know there were thoughts on it but I don't know how they turned out.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Brabus makes one for the 63, but I think they have to have the car in their posession to do it.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c63, 2011 GT500
brabus changes your engine they put a V12 biturbo 750HP.And if you buy it directly from them its called the bullet and its based on a standard C Class not c63.It cost 450thousand...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Actually Brabus does have a twin turbo 6.3 V8, in the ML63. But it is very expensive, and I don't think it would fit in the C63.

I was hoping a tuner would come out with a supercharger kit for the 63, however with the upcoming cams it looks like the power output I want to achieve at least, will be possible leaving the engine N/A. (ie. 625-650hp) I still would like to see a kit made though, as I'm sure this engine is capable of producing huge numbers, but I would imagine stronger internals and a beefier tranny would be needed beyond the above HP figures.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I am not the expert here but I do know of a compnay that makes single and double rear mounted turbos for just about any car. It is called Squire turbo systems.

I really don't know why it wouldn't be feasible in a C63 AMG. My .2c

Here is their link:

http://www.ststurbo.com/
Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
I researched the rear mounted turbos a bit and came to the conclusion that those type of systems really seem like an after thought. I like OEM style kits and installations, and the thought of having all that piping quickly turned me off.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
The issue arises from being able to tune the factory ECU. We actually already had plans, however the OEM ECU does not have enough resolution to allow for boost. There is another route we can go, however we must be sure we can sell before we build what components we will need to boost the 63 motor.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
MOTEC
Old 01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I can definitely see the ECU as an obstacle but how about the tranny There were lots of debates on this site when the 63 was first released on exactly how much torque the 7g can handle, but no one ever proved one way or the other.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Brian hit the nail on the head about the shortcomings of the ME 9.7.

Luke always has the answer!

Mo is ALWAYS thinking WAYYY TOOO MUCH!!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

c63
I have been asking for someone that is interested in this to help me out. We have some designs in place and waiting for a car to get a kit done on. I posted this up a few months back.

MB Forever, so why do you see the ECU as an issue? As a true tuner I see the maps in the ECU and there is nothing stopping us from tuning an ME9.7 ecu for a forced induction set up.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Eurocharged
As a true tuner I see the maps in the ECU and there is nothing stopping us from tuning an ME9.7 ecu for a forced induction set up.
Interesting. While I've heard Brian's account (post #7) validated by another credible source, I've also heard of at least one shop working on a M156 F/I application (not counting Brabus, who's already done it - as mentioned earlier in the thread); would be quite a development if Eurocharged entered that tuner "arms race" as well. Please post a build thread if you undertake a F/I development build on a 63.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
I think one of the main reasons we haven't seen a forced induction kit on a 63 yet has to do with timing. Often times it takes 3-4 years, after the introduction of a new powertrain, for the aftermarket to catch up.
Guys who laid out between $90-150k for their rides probably are not in a hurry to void their warranty, especially when they have 500hp already. For the few who do, their is Braubus and the full custom route.
Now that the cars are getting some age and mileage-and the prices are dropping into the forties-it is more likely someone would be willing to be the guinea pig for a shop like Eurocharged to design,build and tune a killer set up.
Beside with Mercedes making the switch to twin turbos in the new AMG's their are going to be plenty of 63 owners who are not ready to part with their rides, but have a desire to put a hurt on the newbies....lol.
I would think all EC would need is a donor car for a few months and they could design a very nice supercharger system for the E63 that would retail in the $12K range. Something similar to what Magnacharger offers for the domestics....DD streetability, minimal reduction in mpg and at least 100 extra WHP.

So who wants to let them have their car for awhile
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
I have been asking for someone that is interested in this to help me out. We have some designs in place and waiting for a car to get a kit done on. I posted this up a few months back......
Hey, i got a clk500 if you are in need of a prototype car, or is that too slow for ya?
do you think adding twin turbo setup will void warranty?

Last edited by malahhaor; 01-19-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I have been asking for someone that is interested in this to help me out. We have some designs in place and waiting for a car to get a kit done on. I posted this up a few months back.

MB Forever, so why do you see the ECU as an issue? As a true tuner I see the maps in the ECU and there is nothing stopping us from tuning an ME9.7 ecu for a forced induction set up.
My concerns regarding ECU tuning being an obstacle when integrating a forced induction system come mainly from reading hooleyboy's experience with his build. He added an E55 supercharger to his NA C55 and because the ECU did not have the capability of controling boost or communicating to the supercharger, it created a bit of a problem (which he eventually overcame by hardware solutions). Similarly, I would think the 63 ECU would not have parameters or options required for boost and other applications or at least are not accessible "easily" I'm by no means an expert in ECU tuning, but that's just what I think might create a difficulty (not necessarily an impossibility) when tuning such a scenario.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
My concerns regarding ECU tuning being an obstacle when integrating a forced induction system come mainly from reading hooleyboy's experience with his build. He added an E55 supercharger to his NA C55 and because the ECU did not have the capability of controling boost or communicating to the supercharger, it created a bit of a problem (which he eventually overcame by hardware solutions). Similarly, I would think the 63 ECU would not have parameters or options required for boost and other applications or at least are not accessible "easily" I'm by no means an expert in ECU tuning, but that's just what I think might create a difficulty (not necessarily an impossibility) when tuning such a scenario.
Well said Mo and there you have the shortcomings of the ME9.7!!

Expert? Possibly.

Extremely knowledgeable? ABSOLUTELY!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Jerry @ EC is a programmer by trade. Perhaps he has a solution?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63
These are solvable problems... You can use a seperate controller or management system that's wired into the ECU harness. Some even have support for additional injectors in case the stock injectors can't meet the fuel demands of the new forced induction kit.

Honestly, I think the reason that a kit doesn't exist is simply that it's a bit too difficult for most DIY'ers and no professional companies have decided that its a market that they'd like to get into... yet. The development effort is significant and as WTW pointed out, how many owners would buy them and completely void their warranty at this point?

It will happen when the timing is right. In the mean time there are some very cost effective ways to get serious power from the C63. Not many N/A cars out there can get a 70HP increase with a good ECU Tune. We should consider ourselves the lucky ones!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:14 AM

05' C230K S.S.
Originally Posted by Vegas_AMG_C63
These are solvable problems... You can use a seperate controller or management system that's wired into the ECU harness. Some even have support for additional injectors in case the stock injectors can't meet the fuel demands of the new forced induction kit.

Honestly, I think the reason that a kit doesn't exist is simply that it's a bit too difficult for most DIY'ers and no professional companies have decided that its a market that they'd like to get into... yet. The development effort is significant and as WTW pointed out, how many owners would buy them and completely void their warranty at this point?

It will happen when the timing is right. In the mean time there are some very cost effective ways to get serious power from the C63. Not many N/A cars out there can get a 70HP increase with a good ECU Tune. We should consider ourselves the lucky ones!
But what about the current M3's, R32's S4 / RS4? There are quite a few aftermarket supercharger kits for those already and they haven't even been out that long, it can't be due to owners being worried about voiding their warrenties, if it were then why are the other crowds not worried about the same thing?
Old 01-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63
It's a good point. There are a lot of aggressive and price effective tuners for those makes. I wouldn't be suprised if part of the reason that they released those kits early was simply to cement themselves in a market that they know will be a very profitable long term. They also have quite a bit of experience with Forced Induction with those makes.

The BMW crowd has shown that once cars are out of warranty that these cars change hands from original owners to the more mod friendly crowd while the original owners tend to re-up on a new BMW that's back in warranty.

If the very high end tuners built a kit I think that would price a mod like this out of reach for most of us. I'm sure that folks like GT Pro (who are interested in developing a kit) will come through with a cost effective solution in some amount of time.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I can definitely see the ECU as an obstacle but how about the tranny There were lots of debates on this site when the 63 was first released on exactly how much torque the 7g can handle, but no one ever proved one way or the other.
Benz rates it to right around 560ft./lb., but you are pressing your luck up in those numbers. Wonder what a new one retails for LOL

I'm curious how any power adders would even fit in the bay . I have an E and there is basically ZERO space in there, the C has to be even tighter.