Mthis goes to the dyno!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Originally Posted by C63 Guy
Mo, I agree with you 100% about one dyno to the next not being comparable (I'm pretty sure my post said most of what you just said ), but I actually meant run to run variability in the same session on the same dyno. My personal experience on a couple of different dynojets (with different operators) has been that it's hard to get a reliable baseline, even on multiple runs in one session. I can't comfortably say my car has 470 rwhp (just a number) because it's the average of five runs when the variation is from 455-480. I'd rather have five runs that read between 454-457 and say that my car has 455 rwhp. It's a lower number, but statistically valid. And if you know the correction factor on a repeatable dyno, then you have legit numbers to work from. Yeah, I'm a nerd like that, but there's a lot of claims made in this industry based on a single dyno pull and I'm starting to believe there really isn't much validity in that method.

Just saying...

Josh
I've had nothing but great success with DynoJets provided the operator is knowledgeable. Take this graph for example. Two different cars, three pulls each, all within a fraction of each other.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by superlubricity
I've had nothing but great success with DynoJets provided the operator is knowledgeable. Take this graph for example. Two different cars, three pulls each, all within a fraction of each other.
Wow. The M5 was pretty much dead on in all 3 runs... Point taken.

I'm glad I qualified by saying it was my personal experience, but I've heard similar things from others as well. It seems like there's an art to running a dyno properly. Definitely more to it than "just strap it down and run it."

Josh
Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
There is an art to running a dyno properly. Definitely more to it than "just strap it down and run it."

Josh
I agree 100% and also with your take on the "single" pull method meaning squat. Multiple runs with consistent conditions are the key.

BTW, I really appreciate reading your posts/threads. They are always well written and filled with solid information. It is great to have someone like you on the boards.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Mo, I agree with you 100% about one dyno to the next not being comparable (I'm pretty sure my post said most of what you just said ), but I actually meant run to run variability in the same session on the same dyno. My personal experience on a couple of different dynojets (with different operators) has been that it's hard to get a reliable baseline, even on multiple runs in one session. I can't comfortably say my car has 470 rwhp (just a number) because it's the average of five runs when the variation is from 455-480. I'd rather have five runs that read between 454-457 and say that my car has 455 rwhp. It's a lower number, but statistically valid. And if you know the correction factor on a repeatable dyno, then you have legit numbers to work from. Yeah, I'm a nerd like that, but there's a lot of claims made in this industry based on a single dyno pull and I'm starting to believe there really isn't much validity in that method.

Just saying...

Josh
Very well said..... and I for one, appreciate your documentation and efforts you contribute to the 63 platform
Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
sry guys the shop that i did the dyno on dyno dynamic did not email me the graphs yet. as soon as i get them ill post up.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
Patience man..
ahahah I'm messing around