C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added BMC air filters & got Engine Light???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Added BMC air filters & got Engine Light???

So, I just added a set of BMC air filters and after about 60 miles of driving around today, the engine light appeared on my dash...any ideas?

Although my car seems to be running perfectly normal, I really don't want to drive around with the engine light on.

I know I installed the BMC air filters correctly and made sure the air box covers were both screwed back on tight with no leaks. I had removed my charcoal filters a while back and never had the engine light come on with the oem stock air filters. I would think the ecu has already adapted to a bit more air coming in to the mix, but do you think the engine light might disappear after some more driving?

Thanks for your feedback guys!

Last edited by sflgator; 02-05-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Just a maf nothing big. It's from the filters having 2much oil.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mthis
Just a maf nothing big. It's from the filters having 2much oil.
Aha, that makes sense. Will the engine light disappear after a while or do I need to go to my dealer (or elsewhere) to clear the code? Thanks!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
The ECU is very sensitive. My charcoal filters are back no more CEL.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
The ECU is very sensitive. My charcoal filters are back no more CEL.
Yes, but the CEL never appeared in the past several months after I removed the charcoal filters; just only now when I changed the oem paper air filters to the BMC oiled high-flow air filters,
Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
Interesting, i fitted bmc filters and got no engine light, changed my cats and i now have cel
Old 02-05-2010, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
It's not so much that I'm worried about the CEL (b/c I believe mthis is correct that it's the MAF, and I'm not concerned with the tiny bit of oil on the 2 BMC air filters), but more interested to know if the CEL might disappear on its own?

OR should I go to the dealer or somewhere else asap to get the code read and deleted? I heard that some auto repair shop like Autozone or Pep Boys (or somewhere else?) will read/delete codes @ n/c.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sflgator
It's not so much that I'm worried about the CEL (b/c I believe mthis is correct that it's the MAF, and I'm not concerned with the tiny bit of oil on the 2 BMC air filters), but more interested to know if the CEL might disappear on its own?

OR should I go to the dealer or somewhere else asap to get the code read and deleted? I heard that some auto repair shop like Autozone or Pep Boys (or somewhere else?) will read/delete codes @ n/c.
Yeah and be careful that when u get it read by the dealer, wouldn't that make ur tune deleted if they try to delete the codes or reset the ecu!!??
Old 02-05-2010, 08:05 PM

09 Eurocharged C63 AMG
The CEL will go away on it's own after 18 starts. I have had a random CEL also and it will disappear. Do yourself a favor if you don't notice anything performance change in your car, or awkward noise don't worry about it. These ECU's ,regardless of tuned or untuned, are sensitive and will throw a CEL for the simplest things.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by white_beast
Yeah and be careful that when u get it read by the dealer, wouldn't that make ur tune deleted if they try to delete the codes or reset the ecu!!??
Some dealers and SA's are okay with mods (and an ecu flash tune) when you're straight up with them.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG
The CEL will go away on it's own after 18 starts. I have had a random CEL also and it will disappear. Do yourself a favor if you don't notice anything performance change in your car, or awkward noise don't worry about it. These ECU's ,regardless of tuned or untuned, are sensitive and will throw a CEL for the simplest things.
That's what I wanted to hear...thanks!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
18 Starts? i think i have gone over that and i still have cel.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Guys the cel for the filters goes away but not for cats that u need a tune for.

The light will go away but it's not good to drive with a hiden cel. U can clear the code u self but star is the onlything that can wipe it out.

My advice go to dealer and have then wipe the cel off. But make sure that's all they do bc they can also wipe u tune. Now that u don't want. Good luck
Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mthis
Guys the cel for the filters goes away but not for cats that u need a tune for.

The light will go away but it's not good to drive with a hiden cel. U can clear the code u self but star is the onlything that can wipe it out.

My advice go to dealer and have then wipe the cel off. But make sure that's all they do bc they can also wipe u tune. Now that u don't want. Good luck
Thanks for the advice! No, they won't flash it back to stock as they know what I've got. And, if they ever do by accident, I would just drive to RENNtech to have them reflash it back.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That is strange that we have guys that pop a CEL once they take out the charcoals or replace with high-flow filters. I have taken mine off and on a few times and so far everything is fine.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM

C63AMG
Check the connectors. Did you unplug them during the changeout?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by lomita
Check the connectors. Did you unplug them during the changeout?
Connectors are both okay; didn't need to pull them out to remove the oem air filters and put in the BMC air filters.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 PM

C63AMG
OBDII Reader

Originally Posted by sflgator
Connectors are both okay; didn't need to pull them out to remove the oem air filters and put in the BMC air filters.
There is a OBDII port right next to the hood release handle under the dash.

Attach the the OBD II tool to the plug in port under the dash and see what code is detected. It may be just a glitch and the reader can reset the trouble code and clear the CEL, positive thoughts!

Some autoparts stores such as Autozone will loan you a reader. Only takes minutes to find out what the situation is.

I got mine from the local Harbor Freight years ago for $39.

ps, I seriously doubt the excessive oil thing on the filters, however, you can buy some MAF sensor cleaner and give them a shot to remove all doubt about contamination from the filters.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...keyword=obd+II

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Launc...item27af1e4a58

Last edited by lomita; 02-06-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: addition ps
Old 02-06-2010, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by lomita
There is a OBDII port right next to the hood release handle under the dash.

Attach the the OBD II tool to the plug in port under the dash and see what code is detected. It may be just a glitch and the reader can reset the trouble code and clear the CEL, positive thoughts!

Some autoparts stores such as Autozone will loan you a reader. Only takes minutes to find out what the situation is.

I got mine from the local Harbor Freight years ago for $39.

ps, I seriously doubt the excessive oil thing on the filters, however, you can buy some MAF sensor cleaner and give them a shot to remove all doubt about contamination from the filters.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...keyword=obd+II

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Launc...item27af1e4a58

May check one out. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You can buy CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner at Autozone, Checker, etc..........
Old 02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Ok guys, the mystery has been solved and the issue is now resolved!

I went to AutoZone and borrowed their code reader. The MAF isn't dirty (from the BMC air filter oil or debris) and there was no problem with my installation of my BMC high-flow air filters.

It was just that the BMC high-flow air filters really do allow higher air flow (which we all knew anyway ); code read AND deleted..."System Too Lean" meaning there's more air in the mix. My engine light is now off.

I'm hoping the ecu will adapt to the higher air flow if it hasn't already (which I suspect it has since the ecu adapts to changes fairly quickly).

Thank you for all your help gentlemen!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
Glad you got it figured out. Took out my charcoal filters last weekend and will be doing K&N or BMC soon, so wanted to see what happened with your set-up. Any decisions as to why BMC over K&N? Thanks!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by KCviper
Glad you got it figured out. Took out my charcoal filters last weekend and will be doing K&N or BMC soon, so wanted to see what happened with your set-up. Any decisions as to why BMC over K&N? Thanks!
I had a BMC high-flow air filter on my BMW 335i, and I've had K & N high-flow air filters on previous cars. The BMC air filters seem a bit higher quality with a perfect fit (and I believe they allow for slightly higher air flow but IDK for sure), so even though they're about twice the cost of the K & N air filters, I just like them better.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
Ok, thanks!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Update...

The cool front came through last night, so this morning , I had the opportunity to do a couple "spirited" runs on my "private track." As soon as I mashed the pedal at WOT, I got the engine light again.

Although I would hope that this "system too lean" code would eventually stop coming on, I'm ordering an OBD II code reader anyhow so I can just delete the code myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Added BMC air filters & got Engine Light???