C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

A transmission related mea culpa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Where in the The Valley is Level 10? I am assuming SFV and not SGV, right?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by LZH
That sounds SO COOL
Old 02-12-2010, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I'd be careful with level 10. They were very big into trannies for the Ford Lightning pick up truck, and I've heard countless stories of bad parts and sloppy work. (this is Level 10 in NJ, not sure if thats who you are referring to)
Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 and 2008 BMW M5
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Ok after further thought into this, here some some of my considerations:

There are obviously two types of owners:

1. Those who buy and drive relatively stock (possible minor mods)

2. Those who buy and modify greatly to test and experience the true nature and limits of this performance car

I think would be a little hypocritical on our parts to have this "I told you so attitude" towards this situation. Even I regret my initial comments and think that our frustrations were more in the sense of feeling bad for Josh (if I may call you by your first name Josh) and the expenses he is facing right now with a fried C63. Its like watching a brand new C63 P31 having a grand piano being dropped on it. We would all cringe for hours. We need to get into our heads that these are performance machines that claim exceptional abilities and levels of quality and we need not drive them like toyota corollas...

Without Josh and others like him, NONE of us would be even able to tout how truly amazing and incredible this machine is. For his willingness to put the C63 to the true test and to take Mercedes-Benz to the edge of every claim they make I feel like we owe him a sense of gratitude and appreciation. Not that he guineapigged his car, but the he had the F***ing ***** to take his C63 to its limits and make MB put their claims where there mouth is.

Many owners don't have the guts, time, or money to experience the true performance of this car. They lose out on a large part of the experience. I myself hope to start with some mods this summer when I can actually drive the damn thing and its not snowing; after learning more from gurus such as Josh and dadsC63, etc.(there are many more that I haven't mentioned but you know who you are and your knowledge and experience in pushing this car is invaluable to all of us). All of us learn and contribute on this site and look forward to reading everyones 2cents worth.

I beleive that Josh is a true pioneer in the art and skill in taking a performance car and making it perform like it should, burn-outs or not. I envy his knowledge, dedication, and bravery.

His "mistakes" or pushing of his car to the outer limits allows everyone to make a realization and deeper understanding of how this car is made and built. I don't think that we have the right to sit on the sidelines and wave a finger, but rather appreciate that he is farther beyond us in ever becoming "one" with the car...

I am not accusing anyone of anything, pointing any fingers, or making any negative assumptions, but just making a generalization and an editorial after further thought on my own part. I realize that what I initially stated was shallow and ignorant.

Josh, I hope you keep us posted on the details that you explained on how the gears look and appear, how the transmission was built, and what is the status of your 63 now...

Hats of to you.

end of lecture.
Get off his rod. He screwed up his own transmission by letting his friend show boat in his car and your praising him like a saint. Please spare me the BS. You wanna play, then you pay. Simple.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:49 PM

2009 C63 and 2008 BMW M5
Originally Posted by C63 Guy
You hate to say it? Really? I don't think that's true at all. In fact I know from every post I've ever read from you that you absolutley LOVE to say it. Just admit it, you go out of your way to get in a cheap shot at others' expense. Embrace it, it's who you are.

I'll admit that I took the Mercedes advertising for this car a little too literally and actually drove it like they show it being driven. That's my bad, but this is a ****ing AMG and not some sissified BMW.

Josh
So if you drove it like what MB meant it to be driven then go file for warranty. I am sure MB never meant for you to let your friend a pro driver to show boat it with burnouts while down shifting. Just because this is a AMG, doesn't mean you can beat the crap out of it and it will never breakdown.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 AM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by LZH
That is what you call RACING - when every part of the car is considered consumable and expendable.
Amen!

The more you play, the more you have to pay.

Mb seemed actually resonable with offering a rebuilt on the tranny. If he had a gtr it would be a new 22k+ tranmission no ifs and butts.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 PM

none
Originally Posted by mbe3504matic
Get off his rod. He screwed up his own transmission by letting his friend show boat in his car and your praising him like a saint. Please spare me the BS. You wanna play, then you pay. Simple.
Wow. Way to come late to the party and contribute... uhm... nothing at all. LZH already made it clear that even though the title of this thread includes the phrase "mea culpa" some people still seem to think I need to be castigated and/or belittled. Swell. Point taken.

Originally Posted by c63canada
Mb seemed actually resonable with offering a rebuilt on the tranny.
Yeah, unfortunately not so much. MB actually "offered" to let me buy a whole new trans. I had to respectfully decline.

Josh

Last edited by C63 Guy; 02-14-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:23 PM

none
Originally Posted by Sincity
Where in the The Valley is Level 10? I am assuming SFV and not SGV, right?
They're in New Jersey. Was referred by a friend at AutoTalent. I've heard good and bad things about the full rebuilds/upgrades they do, but the clutch and seal kit seems like a good solution without the risk of more heavily modified parts in a component I've already caused problems with.

Josh

Last edited by C63 Guy; 02-14-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by mbe3504matic
Chillout. It's a discussion board. People vent, discuss, and support. We are all enthusiasts. Thats all it is.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:00 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Wow. Way to come late to the party and contribute... uhm... nothing at all. LZH already made it clear that even though the title of this thread includes the phrase "mea culpa" some people still seem to think I need to be castigated and/or belittled. Swell. Point taken.

Yeah, unfortunately not so much. MB actually "offered" to let me buy a whole new trans. I had to respectfully decline.

Josh
Since this is all "new territory" for you...why not just buy a 722.9 from a totaled S, CLS, E or any other car with the same tranny. But that begs the question... Will you continue to treat your car the same way once it's fixed?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
You could allways call these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbmS5tXSq8
Old 02-15-2010, 12:39 AM

none
To all my friends, I apologize in advance for the following post:

Originally Posted by LZH
Since this is all "new territory" for you...why not just buy a 722.9 from a totaled S, CLS, E or any other car with the same tranny. But that begs the question... Will you continue to treat your car the same way once it's fixed?
Wow. That attitude just goes on and on and on, huh? It'd be really nice if you could contribute anything to this thread without trying to get in a dig. I titled it "A transmission related MEA CULPA" for a reason, get it? Maybe you should go to dictionary.com or Wikipedia to find out what that means then rephrase that question to show some comprehension of the title. And please re-RTFT if you still have any doubt that I've learned a lesson from all this.

Anyway, while buying a salvage transmission from those other cars is an interesting proposition, I wonder why you'd suggest it knowing full well that the C63 has the newest version of the 722.9 with a torque converter, and is the only one capable of downshift throttle blipping? Not even the badass CLK BS has that sexy little function and I know that you know that it's not available as a retrofit. The transmissions out of the other cars don't have the right TCU or valve bodies, so if I was to suddenly become retarded and follow your suggestion to go that route, I'd end up buying it just for a few sets of used clutches to put into my existing transmission.

Originally Posted by LZH
You could allways call these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbmS5tXSq8
Yeah, I checked them out when I was researching suppliers and they only sell used parts. But you already knew that, didn't you?

The bottom line is that I'm getting pretty tired of having to match your snide remarks with my own while trying to look like I'm not actually sinking down to your level, so how about you just knock it off and quit trolling and actually post something useful or just stay out of my threads if you can't accommodate that simple request?

Josh

Last edited by C63 Guy; 02-15-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
just thinking to see if im close to melt down here,how many miles you have on u car.

p:s my car had B1 clutch pack replaced at 3k. stock form.

btw good luck with the rebuild and hope its stronger then ever. try not to find its limits now lol
Old 02-15-2010, 01:16 AM

none
Originally Posted by mthis
just thinking to see if im close to melt down here,how many miles you have on u car.
27,500-ish. They can tell the general health of your trans if it's hooked up to a Star tool. It reads out the clutch actuation pressures and rates, so they can see what condition it's actually in and give you a rough life expectancy.

btw good luck with the rebuild and hope its stronger then ever. try not to find its limits now lol
Thanks, and riiiiiight? Definitely gonna do way less brakestands. Way less.

Josh

PS - How's that sinister beast of yours treating you?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Damn I thought I woulsd by the first with a broken tranny Damn now you hold that record when mine goes I'm going with the hotrod built. New higher stall and heavy duty clutch packs.. I've been pushin 650/675 rwtq and so far nothing. I figure an axle first or maby the drive shaft.. Good luck man, glad to hear it's just worn parts..
Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
LZH
Banned

Anyway, while buying a salvage transmission from those other cars is an interesting proposition, I wonder why you'd suggest it knowing full well that the C63 has the newest version of the 722.9 with a torque converter, and is the only one capable of downshift throttle blipping?
All the '09 models and up that I suggested have the throttle blipping feature, and that feature is simply software programming - confirmed by AMG numerous times, no hardware/mechanical difference same valve bodies just higher line pressure via programming. Also, every 722.9 trans is torque converted so I'm not sure what your talking about there...
Old 02-15-2010, 05:04 PM

none
Originally Posted by LZH
Also, every 722.9 trans is torque converted so I'm not sure what your talking about there...
Well, I wasn't sure if they were still calling it the 722.9 in the SL and E now that they have the MCT, so I was just covering my bases.

And you're right about the throttle blipping. They did add it to the other models last year. Nice catch! Unfortunately if I did swap transmissions I'd still have to have it re-coded and married with a star tool, which I don't have at my easy disposal. So again, the rebuild is my easiest route. Sorry for assuming you were intentionally misdirecting me. Sometimes our past behaviors color our present interactions.

Josh

Last edited by C63 Guy; 02-15-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM

05 C55
They're in New Jersey. Was referred by a friend at AutoTalent. I've heard good and bad things about the full rebuilds/upgrades they do, but the clutch and seal kit seems like a good solution without the risk of more heavily modified parts in a component I've already caused problems with.

Josh

if this is the same company that used to reside in hamburg, nj....i purchased an AOD from them a long time ago, and would not do business with them again.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 AM

2009 C63 AMG - Steel Grey
I thought that was an excellent reply, and I agree with you 100%, that guy needs to take a chill pill if you ask me......
Old 02-16-2010, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by mkonei
if this is the same company that used to reside in hamburg, nj....i purchased an AOD from them a long time ago, and would not do business with them again.
Thats them.

I had a friend who also had an AOD from them. Turns out his trans caught
on fire. He filed a lawsuit, they settled out of court. He received a brand
new transmission and lifetime repair/service.

The second transmission was perfect. It ran well for may years in
a high 10 second supercharged Mustang.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

p:s my car had B1 clutch pack replaced at 3k. stock form.

Actually, Josh is doing us all a favor since we are getting to know the limits of the trans components.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by Sincity
Actually, Josh is doing us all a favor since we are getting to know the limits of the trans components.
I know.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
27,500-ish. They can tell the general health of your trans if it's hooked up to a Star tool. It reads out the clutch actuation pressures and rates, so they can see what condition it's actually in and give you a rough life expectancy.

Thanks, and riiiiiight? Definitely gonna do way less brakestands. Way less.

Josh

PS - How's that sinister beast of yours treating you?
She's good for Now. But can't tell the future.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Well, I wasn't sure if they were still calling it the 722.9 in the SL and E now that they have the MCT, so I was just covering my bases.

And you're right about the throttle blipping. They did add it to the other models last year. Nice catch! Unfortunately if I did swap transmissions I'd still have to have it re-coded and married with a star tool, which I don't have at my easy disposal. So again, the rebuild is my easiest route. Sorry for assuming you were intentionally misdirecting me. Sometimes our past behaviors color our present interactions.

Josh
I don't think the 09 W211 E63 has throttle blipping.... but I do know for sure that the 2010 W212 E63 does have it.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I don't think the 09 W211 E63 has throttle blipping.... but I do know for sure that the 2010 W212 E63 does have it.
I think you are right but the CLS and CL did...not sure what other platforms had the SpeedShift Plus software...