C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

on a hill rolling backwards in comfort

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
on a hill rolling backwards in comfort

got a quick question as this has yet to happen to me until this weekend.

ok so i backed out of a driveway and that put me on a semi steep hill. when i backed out of the drive and ultimatley a little down the hill the car would not hold itself but instead continued to roll backwards. of course this confused me as i wasnt expecting it plus i had a wooden fence on my passenger side and a car behind me on the roadway. when i pressed the accelerator the car continued to roll backwards. in sheer panic i floored it, as i glanced down at the center console to make sure the car was in D and not N. the car continued to roll but ultimately spun the tires and leaped to action.

so should i have been in sport or manual mode maybe? the only thing i could think of was the hill was too steep and the car was trying to start in 2nd gear. maybe if i was in manual or sport this wouldnt have happened. what do you guys think?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
got a quick question as this has yet to happen to me until this weekend.

ok so i backed out of a driveway and that put me on a semi steep hill. when i backed out of the drive and ultimatley a little down the hill the car would not hold itself but instead continued to roll backwards. of course this confused me as i wasnt expecting it plus i had a wooden fence on my passenger side and a car behind me on the roadway. when i pressed the accelerator the car continued to roll backwards. in sheer panic i floored it, as i glanced down at the center console to make sure the car was in D and not N. the car continued to roll but ultimately spun the tires and leaped to action.

so should i have been in sport or manual mode maybe? the only thing i could think of was the hill was too steep and the car was trying to start in 2nd gear. maybe if i was in manual or sport this wouldnt have happened. what do you guys think?
Hmmm, sounds like you were in C and in second gear.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:40 PM

2012 E350 4matic
thats what i guess too... i guess i dont have enough experience with this car yet. i should have known better and probaby used manual mode. just wondered what you guys thought i should have done in that situation. thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
when switching from reverse to drive, there is a delay in engagement. There is a thread about it in here somewhere.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Originally Posted by benyl
when switching from reverse to drive, there is a delay in engagement. There is a thread about it in here somewhere.
not only that, but it is recommended to come to a complete stop before putting it in to D or you will most likely get a nice jerking sensation
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
i could be mistaken, but i could swear when I read the manual about a year ago the C63 does have a hill assist mode where it engages for about 2 seconds before you start to roll, but it will eventually roll if you dont have the brake on...this would be crazy if it didnt work when in C mode, especially since most may only use C mode in inclement weather

I guess if you were shifting at the time it could have been the reason
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 AM

2012 E350 4matic
well i have no idea what happened and it HAS to be user error im sure. im not saying the car messed up i think it was something that i did or didnt do for the situation i was in. probably wont have the opportunity to experience that situation in the near future but just wanted to mention it to you guys because it ALMOST was a disaster!! i kept waiting to hear the sound of my rear quater crushing against a wooden fence...... just glad it kicked in got traction when it did!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
just wondered what you guys thought i should have done in that situation. thanks!
Press the brake pedal?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Funny, I read this and thought you meant you were comfortable rolling backwards down a hill. I'd rather be comfortable before being hospitalized, too.

Josh
Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK280(Gone), C63, CLK550
Originally Posted by PatSC23
i could be mistaken, but i could swear when I read the manual about a year ago the C63 does have a hill assist mode where it engages for about 2 seconds before you start to roll, but it will eventually roll if you dont have the brake on...this would be crazy if it didnt work when in C mode, especially since most may only use C mode in inclement weather

I guess if you were shifting at the time it could have been the reason
I have tested this 'hill assist' mode on a few occasions. I find that it only works if you have:

1. moving forward uphill
2. step on the brake
3. lift off the brake

After all three of the above criterias have been satisfied, hill assist comes on, and you can feel the brake pedal still depressed a little after Step 3.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:25 PM

2012 E350 4matic
no NOT comfortable i was in panic mode!! just couldnt figure out why the accel. was floored and no launch! guess if i wasnt panicing i would have stepped on the brake but your brain does dumb things when you experience panic and something that usually works... doesnt. all ended well except for the small burn out! ha ha