D.I.Y. QUESTION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
D.I.Y. QUESTION

without the sarcastic answers....what's the easiest way to replace the airfilters with the bmc's i have ? i know it's been told many times but i just want a quick explanation . i haven't even looked at it yet but i did notice some bolts on both sides of the airboxes .
Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
1. remove all the bolts, 5 on each side I think
2. remove the front plastic piece, with the MB star on it. It's just clipped in, so be sure to grab by the clips and don't let them fall back into the engine bay
3. lift up air boxes and replace...
Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 with Eurocharged tune and charcoal delete
Check out the thread called "Installing Air Filter" from May 2009. Good descrition and photos. I just did mine a couple weeks ago and remember two things: You dont have to disconnect the Mass Airflow sensors, you can just leave them connected to the intake runners and flip the whole assembly over on its back once you have it disconnected. Also, there is a bolt at the very back of the silver airboxes on each side that you can't easily see from the front. You have to make sure you remove this bolt before you try to pull the airboxes off. Once all the bolts are removed the airboxes come off pretty easily just by twisting the runners from side to side (after you have loosened the metal straps of course). PS- Dont forget to re-righted the metal straps after you insert the runners back into the main intake hose or you might get a check engine light.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Any videos floating about? I'm looking to do mine as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
While you are at it, don't forget to remove the charcoals.

BTW-when you remove the front cover (the one with the star), grab each end where it meets with the airbox top and pull straight up. Don't try to pull it from the front where the star is otherwise you will crack the piece.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 09 C63, Vipers (sold)
This is all solid advice. I removed my charcoals several weeks ago and it really is very straightforward and easy. I found a fair amount of sand/dirt under my filters, so I cleaned this out. Just be sure to cover the intake so nothing goes where it's not supposed to!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by Sincity
While you are at it, don't forget to remove the charcoals.

BTW-when you remove the front cover (the one with the star), grab each end where it meets with the airbox top and pull straight up. Don't try to pull it from the front where the star is otherwise you will crack the piece.
have you noticed that the charcoals have air flow arrows that are backwards ie the opposite direction of intake air? This supports the idea that they are effective in cleaning the air coming out of intake inlets when the engiene is turned off.

+1 on the cover. It is very easy to crack if not careful. My dealer cracked it but also nice enough to give me a new one without question.