Disconnect auto headlight washers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Disconnect auto headlight washers?

Anyone know how to do this?

There doesn't seem to be a separate fuse, the only one I can find is for "windshield washer pump", which may be the same pump redirected, and I wouldn't want to lose that.

I'm annoyed that the headlight washers activate when they want to and not when I tell them to, because they spray cleaning fluid all over my spotless car, leaving it filthy. Unless some vehicle in front of you kicks up mud all over your headlights so that their effectiveness is severely diminished, I can't think of any reason to even have headlight washers, much less have them activate automatically every 2nd or 3rd time I clean the windshield!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:44 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by EVONick
Anyone know how to do this?

There doesn't seem to be a separate fuse, the only one I can find is for "windshield washer pump", which may be the same pump redirected, and I wouldn't want to lose that.

I'm annoyed that the headlight washers activate when they want to and not when I tell them to, because they spray cleaning fluid all over my spotless car, leaving it filthy. Unless some vehicle in front of you kicks up mud all over your headlights so that their effectiveness is severely diminished, I can't think of any reason to even have headlight washers, much less have them activate automatically every 2nd or 3rd time I clean the windshield!
By any chance, is your head light switch turned to the "auto" position?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I hate this feature as well. With a black car it is massive filth after they fire. Heading to check the owner's manual based off SMP's post.

Last edited by GBlansten; 03-06-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:20 PM

'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
They won't come on unless the lights are on...so when you wash the windows, make sure your lights are set to off...if they are on (or on auto and it is dark), the first time you spray every time you start the car, they will activiate...then, will activiate every 10th time (unless you turn car off and on, then they will go the first time again)...

Read the manual...but why disconnect a fuse when you can just turn off the lights. At night this could be an issue, but if your window gets that dirty at night, it's probably raining, and the soap spray on the hood won't matter...

I do agree, however, that it is irritating when it soaps up the hood and forces a quick towel dry before it dries.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Cool. Didn't know this.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
My lights are not set to Auto, and yes, the behaviour seems exactly as miami1lt describes. Thanks for the tip, cleaning the windows with the lights off is a decent workaround, but it's probably going to be an on/off/clean/on scenario because when it's dark I don't notice the windshield is dirty unless the lights are on...

The windshield spray gets spots all over the roof, so the best solution would be to not use the sprayer at all, and just carry a bottle of cleaner and do it manually, but the roof I don't notice nearly as much as the hood (I'm not that tall!)

I'll try this fix and see if it works. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 AM

'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by EVONick
My lights are not set to Auto, and yes, the behaviour seems exactly as miami1lt describes. Thanks for the tip, cleaning the windows with the lights off is a decent workaround, but it's probably going to be an on/off/clean/on scenario because when it's dark I don't notice the windshield is dirty unless the lights are on...

The windshield spray gets spots all over the roof, so the best solution would be to not use the sprayer at all, and just carry a bottle of cleaner and do it manually, but the roof I don't notice nearly as much as the hood (I'm not that tall!)

I'll try this fix and see if it works. Thanks.
yeah, it is a nusance...i don't use washer fluid much anyway...I never understood why my dad wouldn't run wipers and washer fluid when i was younger, but now i know...if the window is getting that dirty, then yeah, use it...but I generally keep my car clean and garaged, so any dirt during the day is associated with rain or dried rain...which at that point, I'm spraying, lights or no lights.

in the good ole days, MB's had a lighter spray but had a wiper there...probably a mechanical nightmare so rolled to the high powered jet tied to the window line...but it sprays WAY too hard...would it have been that hard to put a separate line and button MB?