Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl wrap in matte black suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2010 | 09:00 PM

2010 C63, 2003 C230 coupe
Vinyl wrap in matte black suggestions

I am currently on month 3 of 5 waiting for my C63, and as many of you have probably experienced, insanity kicks in and all of a sudden you are thinking about what you could possibly do to the car before its even here.

Im thinking about wrapping my car in matte black. I found a few posts on the forum with guys who did it: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...apped-c63.html

But I am from Ottawa, Canada and I don't know any places locally that do this other than graphic advertising wraps. If anyone could give suggestions/answers to these questions it would be appreciated.

1. Would you trust a place that typically deals with cheaper cars and does graphic advertising wraps?

2. Does anyone know of any places that do vinyl wrap in Ottawa or near Ottawa, ie Montreal, Toronto, New York City?

(side question: round trip to NYC is about 1000 miles, would that count as my break in period even if its all in 1 day. )

Thanks
Old 03-10-2010 | 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Its always a subjective question but if you considering doing this, as I am, i would go for a satin black and not the pure matte finish.
Old 03-11-2010 | 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Alright, I'll try to answer all the questions, including your PM ones, here.

The place I got it done specializes in advertising wraps, the owner decided to wrap his business partner's F430 and it turned out great. After that, a GTR and a Diablo were done in Matte Black and White, and I was the 4th car they did. So I got lucky, they practiced on a few cars before they got to mine. The biggest issue is how careful they are at cutting the vinyl. You have to be careful so you don't scratch the paint.

It held up fairly well over the winter. It's just as strong as 3M clear bra. however, with 3M clear bra when there's a nick, it's clear and you don't see it. You will see it on the vinyl. The front bumper took the brunt of it, it's sprayed with about 100 small nicks and really only noticable when you're about 2-3 feet from the car. The hood only got 1 or 2 small visible nicks. My windshield has about 4 chips and 1 big crack. Calgary is probably the worst city for rock damage, so it'll work much better elsewhere. All this damage was done in 5000km of winter driving over 4 months. I'll probably get the front bumper redone in the spring.

As for Satin Black Vinyl, I've seen it applied and it looks pretty bad. The problem is that with satin vinyl, when it's stretched, the shinyness becomes very inconsistent. You have to stretch a lot during install, and you don't see any inconsistencies with matte black vinyl when stretched. Satin only looks good painted.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-11-2010 | 11:17 AM

2010 C63, 2003 C230 coupe
Originally Posted by rage2
Alright, I'll try to answer all the questions, including your PM ones, here.
Thanks for all the info!

Do you know what brand of vinyl they used? I spoke to a local shop today and they said they use 3M controltac and a matte overlam. Not really sure what that means but Ill do some more research online today.
Old 03-11-2010 | 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
That's what I have, 3M Controltac.