C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 vs GT-R?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63
Yes GT-R is fast. I raced GT-R on Freeway I was able to keep up with him with no problem. But for Japan GT-R has this stupid 180km limit. So right around 180km he pulled to side and I past him. But it was good battle against GT-R before 180km. I thought that that GT-R is much more faster. But when you go to track I think that is totally different story. Video below is famous track that people do time attack and see what that car can do. GT-R does 1min 2second but C63 is 1min 7 second.

GT-R V-Spec: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBaGSLLO9Co
C63: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clAR90E5cVI
GT-R: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuXxl0IeX6g
GT-R:0-400m: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHvHBAZ89L8
GT-R:0-400m: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HjWz_knSU
Old 03-18-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
GO ARMY! Thanks for serving our country.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Raleighc63
SFLGATOR - Yes I did spend a bunch of money on the tunes and for some reason the only one that actually dyno'd what the manufacturer claimed was MHP.

I certainly don't want to get into an ECU tune war but I did try and purchase all 3.

Kleeman was kind enough to give me my money back immediately. Renntech is still refusing to refund the 15% restocking fee from the original $3200 I spent on the tune. I am disputing this with the credit card company.. And yes I spent some bank on the MHP tune, but it did dyno what they claimed.

I'm sure there are believers and non-believers for all tunes..

BTW - Ron Scarboro - I noticed that you live in Raleigh. Hey, so do I! We should meet sometime and compare cars.....
Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the other C63 ecu flash tunes; ironically, RENNtech and Kleemann are the most experienced and well respected MB AMG tuners to date. My RENNtech dyno was pretty much as advertised.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM

SLK280(Gone), C63, CLK550
My friend's GTR walks all over my C63.

There is no way no how I can keep up at any speed.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no more AMG
Originally Posted by peh-amg
Okay, good to know. I am planning to do a couple of track days at Road America in April and there are 2 or 3 GT-R's signed up. Maybe I should stay well clear of them (or maybe I can't get close to them)! I know they have the advantage in the corners but I thought we might have a chance on the straights - and Road America has couple of long straights and is generally considered a HP track. I plan to have a K1 tune done before I do the track days. However, I don't know if those GT-R's are stock or tuned.
Tunes are a great upgrade, but honestly on a road course your money is better invested on brakes, suspension, and tires (tires being #1 IMO). On a road course, you'd have a better chance against a GT-R with some grippy tires which would make a HUGE difference. I do a lot of road courses and autocrosses with my bone stock C63 and I've never felt like I needed more HP/TQ as compaired to my Audi. With the ESP off or in Sport you'll wish you can more traction coming out of the corners then more power.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Dads C63
In my experience they are two different beasts.
A stock GTR vs a stock C63 we'll get walked on.
A tuned C63 vs a stock GTR you will hold your own and possibly win long runs. You will still get hammered in the short runs.
A bolt on L/T headers, tune, etc.. C63 will walk a stock GTR top end. A friend of mine has one and we raced together at Roebling Road and he couldn't stay with me on the long straight away.
However, thats where it ends. When you start tuning a GTR they get nuts. They already run low 11's in the 1/4 mile bone stock using launch control. Then the tuned, down pipe, etc.. they are running mid 10's at over 130mph. Thats where we get our butts handed to us.

They are both great cars but set up for completely different performance.
Approved.

In stock format the GTR starts to struggle post speeds of 120mph... Down low the car is just stupid fast but the gearing and AWD system robs its hp up top.

And as mentioned ad naseum- the GTR loves mods more than any car I know. A simple 995 tune and mid pipe gets you a low 11 second car trapping in the mid 120's. A few more tweaks and adds and you are in the 10's and above 130 in the traps on a good DA day.

I love the car, its worth all the money and all the mods.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Okay, good to know. I am planning to do a couple of track days at Road America in April and there are 2 or 3 GT-R's signed up. Maybe I should stay well clear of them (or maybe I can't get close to them)! I know they have the advantage in the corners but I thought we might have a chance on the straights - and Road America has couple of long straights and is generally considered a HP track. I plan to have a K1 tune done before I do the track days. However, I don't know if those GT-R's are stock or tuned.
What track events are you doing at Road America in April? I am going to be up there for one, possibly two events in April with my Black Series. Do you know what configuration you guys are running? Are you running the full circuit with front straight and 3,4 down into 5 (left hander)? I know several groups are now electing to run only the 2.5 mile (approx) circuit which eliminates front straight 2,3,4 and 5, basically just after turn 13 you make a right turn and then a straight shot to turn 5, the real turn five becomes a right hander instead of a left hander and then up the hill. If you know let me know, I am actually looking for a group to run the shorter config with in preparation for the Optima Street Car Challenge regional qualifying event in early May. I have run and raced at RA dozens of times but never run that configuration before.

...wait til you hit the kink, LOL, wear diapers.

Last edited by jrcart; 03-19-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Does anybody know how our car (C63) stacks up against a stock Nissan GT-R? I presume the GT-R would win a 0-60 race (higher stock HP and AWD) but how about after that? 60-100? 60-120? etc.

Anyone got any first hand experience of racing a GT-R?
I seen GTR do 0-62 in 3 sec flat right out of the box depend on driver too. They are in the supercars class. Off the line you will lose but if in a 1 mile race torque will win. I know it quicker than my 911 turbo off the line, not even going to try to race one of those thing. But if my turbo is a PKD than all bet off.

GL to who ever want to race a GT-R!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
Off the line you will lose but if in a 1 mile race torque will win. I know it quicker than my 911 turbo off the line, not even going to try to race one of those thing. But if my turbo is a PKD than all bet off.

GL to who ever want to race a GT-R!
In a 1 mile race torque will win? I think you are a little confussed, In the long run it is HP that matters over torque, torque is what gets you moving, but it is HP that keeps you there and keeps the mph climbing. Aero and HP make MPH in the long run, not torque.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:59 PM

C63 AMG
my c63 with the kleeman k2 I beat 2 gtrs that are bone stock from a rolling 40kmh all the way until 300kmh I gave I let him behind me as soon as we passed 180kmh and gave about 3 cars length! And even felt that I was still pulling on him just slightly!!
Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jrcart
In a 1 mile race torque will win? I think you are a little confussed, In the long run it is HP that matters over torque, torque is what gets you moving, but it is HP that keeps you there and keeps the mph climbing. Aero and HP make MPH in the long run, not torque.

yes i meant hp but the combination of both will win.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by white_beast
my c63 with the kleeman k2 I beat 2 gtrs that are bone stock from a rolling 40kmh all the way until 300kmh I gave I let him behind me as soon as we passed 180kmh and gave about 3 cars length! And even felt that I was still pulling on him just slightly!!
what your 0-60 time? again it all depend on the driver.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:22 PM

c63amg 09,zo6 09, GL550 08,GTR 2010,
i own both , k1 c63,and stock 2010 gtr, c63 can't compare to gtr on the track, on the street c63 alot better then gtr, that is my .02c
Old 03-19-2010, 01:42 PM

no more AMG
It really is hard to beat the streetablities of these cars! That was one of the main factors as to why I bought mine.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:36 PM

'13 Audi RS5
What track events are you doing at Road America in April? I am going to be up there for one, possibly two events in April with my Black Series. Do you know what configuration you guys are running? Are you running the full circuit with front straight and 3,4 down into 5 (left hander)? I know several groups are now electing to run only the 2.5 mile (approx) circuit which eliminates front straight 2,3,4 and 5, basically just after turn 13 you make a right turn and then a straight shot to turn 5, the real turn five becomes a right hander instead of a left hander and then up the hill. If you know let me know, I am actually looking for a group to run the shorter config with in preparation for the Optima Street Car Challenge regional qualifying event in early May. I have run and raced at RA dozens of times but never run that configuration before.

...wait til you hit the kink, LOL, wear diapers.
The track days on April 17/18 are run by MFBA. Full course I believe - I'll be disappointed if it isn't.

I know what you mean about the kink - I've run my bike there many times.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The track days on April 17/18 are run by MFBA. Full course I believe - I'll be disappointed if it isn't.

I know what you mean about the kink - I've run my bike there many times.
Cool, I will look into that event, I would like to get up there again soon.

I used to race bikes too, CCS, WERA and AMA but depending on how many years ago you raced bikes the kink might be different than you remember, about 8 years ago for bikes only they added "the Bend" after the carousel and before the kink which slows the bikes down significantly (to the tune of about 5-6 seconds per lap), but cars run it wide open, trust me, I have run both with and without "the Bend" in both cars and on bikes, without is wicked. If done properly you are going to clip the inside right strip and the car is going to drift you to the far left side of the track at well over 100mph, just when you think you are going to run out of track it bites and off you go down into Canada corner for one of the hardest braking zones and most difficult turns you will find on any track in north america. Your previous experience on bikes will help tons, but there are sections of the track which can and should be negotiated differently in the car. You know all about turn 5, just remeber you are trying to bring down a 3900 pound car from about 150 mph not a 350 pound superbike, that being said you are going to be able to carry alot more speed through 5 in the car compared to the bike. Turn 6 is tricky in a car because the car wants to get airborn under the bridge and all the suspension unloads as you crest the hill, you better be turning or pointing the car before you get there or it will be too late. The Carousel can be run faster on a bike, your car is going to want to come around on you in that section because you will have the entire left side suspension loaded up and the front end pushing the only real way to get through there quick is to try to use the throttle to steer the car but before you now it too much throttle and it will spin you like a top, It happens to me every time I'm up there and I see a dozen other guys make the same mistake without fail. Fortunatly there is tons of run-off and the spins usually take place well after the Johnsonville bridge.

One last thing, be prepared to replace your brakes, I toasted a set in one afternoon at Road America (about 45-50 laps, 185-200 miles), it is the most brutal track on brakes I have ever driven. All those long straights (3050ft, 2700ft and 2600ft) are followed by slow 90 degree or tighter turns.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM

'13 Audi RS5
Cool, I will look into that event, I would like to get up there again soon.

I used to race bikes too, CCS, WERA and AMA but depending on how many years ago you raced bikes the kink might be different than you remember, about 8 years ago for bikes only they added "the Bend" after the carousel and before the kink which slows the bikes down significantly (to the tune of about 5-6 seconds per lap), but cars run it wide open, trust me, I have run both with and without "the Bend" in both cars and on bikes, without is wicked. If done properly you are going to clip the inside right strip and the car is going to drift you to the far left side of the track at well over 100mph, just when you think you are going to run out of track it bites and off you go down into Canada corner for one of the hardest braking zones and most difficult turns you will find on any track in north america. Your previous experience on bikes will help tons, but there are sections of the track which can and should be negotiated differently in the car. You know all about turn 5, just remeber you are trying to bring down a 3900 pound car from about 150 mph not a 350 pound superbike, that being said you are going to be able to carry alot more speed through 5 in the car compared to the bike. Turn 6 is tricky in a car because the car wants to get airborn under the bridge and all the suspension unloads as you crest the hill, you better be turning or pointing the car before you get there or it will be too late. The Carousel can be run faster on a bike, your car is going to want to come around on you in that section because you will have the entire left side suspension loaded up and the front end pushing the only real way to get through there quick is to try to use the throttle to steer the car but before you now it too much throttle and it will spin you like a top, It happens to me every time I'm up there and I see a dozen other guys make the same mistake without fail. Fortunatly there is tons of run-off and the spins usually take place well after the Johnsonville bridge.

One last thing, be prepared to replace your brakes, I toasted a set in one afternoon at Road America (about 45-50 laps, 185-200 miles), it is the most brutal track on brakes I have ever driven. All those long straights (3050ft, 2700ft and 2600ft) are followed by slow 90 degree or tighter turns.
I appreciate your advice and knowledge. I have riden that track with the old and new configurations before the kink. I don't like the "bend" at all but I agree that the kink is "scary" when accelerating full bore on a bike without the "bend".

What is the output on your BS?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:51 PM

'12 CTS-V
We should re-open this discussion after AMG releases the new 5.5 litre bi-turbo next yr.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I appreciate your advice and knowledge. I have riden that track with the old and new configurations before the kink. I don't like the "bend" at all but I agree that the kink is "scary" when accelerating full bore on a bike without the "bend".

What is the output on your BS?
...Let's just put it this way, there are NO stock GT-R's that can touch me on the strip or on a road course and there probably are not too many heavily modded ones if any that will touch my car. I'm not saying there are not any out there that can't, but the dozen or so I have faced off with (both stock and modded, strip and road course) have not been able to hang. I'm running high 10 second 1/4 miles and have lapped RA in the low 2:20's (non "bend" config). But to answer your question about 520 rwhp(maybe more) N/A and about 618 rwhp with a 100 shot of NOS and the car weighs in just over 3600 pounds (no driver).
Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 AM

C63
I did raced a friend's cobb tuned GTR with my tuned C63. we roll from about 100km/h to about 240. He actually gave me a headstart. Then he blew past me when my speedo was registering 210km/h and he keeps on pulling about 1.5 car length and I could never get close again. Believe me its that quick guys
Old 03-20-2010, 03:55 AM

2009 c63, 2011 GT500
Our cars are not even close to the gtr performance.You are taiking abt a car that have a twin turbo 4wd and alot of advantges then our cars.You compare gtr with 911 turbo,Zo6,viper not c63.actually am thinking of buying a gtr when the prices go down to mid 50's because its not worth the money they are asking.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:35 AM

C63 AMG
Trust me guys our cars with just the shorties and the the tune from kleeman are beating the Porsche turbo and the gtr!! So imagine what will it be like with the long tubes and and the rest of the higher setups we have!! I have raced a Porsche turbo aswell from rolling 40 nd beat it! If I ever get the chance to race any of these cars again I'll
make sure i put on video!!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:43 PM

C63
I raced one and got rolled it was fine for the first 100m after that it was gone
Old 03-20-2010, 06:37 PM

2009 C63
hmmm interesting thing.. on my way home , I spotted a black Gtr after I merged on N405, I didn't act like crazy and cruise at 80 mph.. that black Gtr was about 70 mph but changed lane and started to accelerate. I changed to manual mod and downshift to 4th gear. At almost the same time. gtr just passed me and kept accelerating. I was curious to see how close I can follow that car,so I stepped on gas too.. supprising.. I caught up with him at about 120 mph (btw. it's jus straight line and no car around us).. maybe he didn't push too hard...

anyway.. we were both slow down and started to cruise at 80 mph again after that.. but it was fun ..my car has K1 and maybe rolling from 80 could help me a little...
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by wankeldude
The GT-R would obliterate even tuned C63's at any speed to any speed.
My C63 is bone stock and it was bad, but I think C63 guy or Keith could chime in with real world tuned C63 vs GT-R stories.
This is a bit of an exageration. The GT-R stock would beat the C63 by about 1 full second. I think 11.6. A tune and some exhaust work will bring the C63 next to the GT-R in the 1/4 and easily handle it in the standing mile.

Do the same with the GT-R and its running a 10.5 though. So tune for tune the GT-R is crazy fast!!

Still not as impressive as a Corvette though or a Viper. So calling it a super car is also giving it a bit to much hype. A C6 Z06 will run a 9.6 at 150MPH at 9psi. Now thats a supercar!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 vs GT-R?