Sponsored by:

Aftermarket CF steering wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2010 | 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Aftermarket CF steering wheels

I have seen several companies advertising their CF steering wheels and wanted to understand how they address airbag. Most request core exchange. How do they address the replacement/packing of the airbag and making sure that this safety feature works with sensors etcs? My impression is that this fairly tricky to do and there is little room for error in making sure the replacement part works well. I am interested in replacing my OEM wheel, but not at the expense of safety. A CF wheel would look cool right up to the point that you ended up with a tri-star impression in your chest and CF implanted in your face.
Old 04-09-2010 | 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by harrower
I have seen several companies advertising their CF steering wheels and wanted to understand how they address airbag. Most request core exchange. How do they address the replacement/packing of the airbag and making sure that this safety feature works with sensors etcs? My impression is that this fairly tricky to do and there is little room for error in making sure the replacement part works well. I am interested in replacing my OEM wheel, but not at the expense of safety. A CF wheel would look cool right up to the point that you ended up with a tri-star impression in your chest and CF implanted in your face.
They selling you the steering wheel and not the airbag. The airbag, cover, buttons, horn that all in one modular. You have to transfer that over to the new wheel, plug and play.
Old 04-09-2010 | 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
thanks for the info
Old 04-09-2010 | 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
They selling you the steering wheel and not the airbag. The airbag, cover, buttons, horn that all in one modular. You have to transfer that over to the new wheel, plug and play.
+1 The airbag module (the center piece of the steering wheel) is actually a seperate piece that attaches to the steering wheel. You can disconnect it and connect it to any steering wheel you like. So in short, you do not open or modify the airbag module itself.