Sponsored by:

Flooded.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Before going out of pocket 10K, just change all the fluids/filters/plugs - anything else that is cheap to change, then see how it drives. Maybe it will clear itself, certainly worth a shot...than simply dumping 10K out of pocket..
Old 05-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
Possibly too many parts. Throttle bodies...I don't think so. Any light housing that has gotten wet internally but is not cracked should be OK...I would remove the housing, take the bulbs out and rinse it out with distilled water.
I'll give the lights a try, and I'll get a second opinion on the throttle bodies.

Originally Posted by avengerboater
Sorry to hear that it'll cost you $10k, or possibly more from what the dealer is prefacing.
I was quoted 4k just for the head lights & fog lights alone! The water wasn't above a foot, and I don't know where exactly the throttle bodies are located but I do it's a part of the air intake system. Maybe my acceleration sent water to the throttle bodies?

Originally Posted by iatacs19
If the engine did take in water and tried to compress it, wouldn't it bend the valves and cause internal engine damage?
That's what should/could have happened, the technician was actually expecting holes or bent valves prior to the inspection.

Originally Posted by emericr
I am sorry but something is not adding up.
It actually was below a foot. The part with the headlights requiring replacement also left me a bit confused. They did turn off before the engine began knocking; is there another explanation for this? I have heard about lights being fogged, or having water in them before without cars going through high water. Even though I had no other option, I still accept that I screwed up, but no way was water above a foot. The fluids have yet to be changed, as they said they said it was a preliminary estimate. As per your advice, I scheduled a trusted technician to come give his thoughts.

Originally Posted by black-clk500
+1
Also, I know it's not good to have a flood registered on carfax, but $10K+ out of pocket when factored later on when you trade the thing in, it might make more sense to call the ins.
I'm actually debating that now, for the sole reason that they said it's a preliminary estimate -- I don't want a surprise bill! As for the title, I doubt it will be salvaged or flooded, but I'll have to confirm that

Originally Posted by Even Money
then see how it drives. Maybe it will clear itself, certainly worth a shot...than simply dumping 10K out of pocket..
That will be the first step, and maybe I'll just let insurance cover it; if the dealer wants to rape them.. it's their problem.

Thanks to everyone for their well-wishes, it's just driving me nuts not having it in my garage. Oh... how I miss those morning roars.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
I can't think of a reason to replace the headlight/foglight assemblies - if they have water in them, dry them out! Bulbs/ballasts, sure.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Got my car back this weekend, everything seems good! =D
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
For 10K it should be fine. I wouldn't pay $10K out of pocket for water damage...what is the purpose of insurance if you aren't going to use it. Who cares about water damage...the resale on an AMG in a few years sucks anyway, and if some kid wants to go fast, he'll look past the water damage (esp. if the car runs great).

You didn't damage much electronic stuff, so if you paid for the fixes, I think you pissed your money away.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Militia
Got my car back this weekend, everything seems good! =D
So what was done to it? Everything on that list?