PCMCIA sd card problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 amg
PCMCIA sd card problems

Hi Guys

As i have the older version, there is no direct ipod connector allowing me to change songs with the console. So as instructed i got a pcmcia card, tried to use a 2gig sd card and it works perfectly...

However after reading the threads, someone suggested the maximum was 16gig, which i purchased, but when loading it, it dosnt work...

Does anyone know what type of SD card should be used, as my first one was normal SD but the 16g one was SDHC, does that make a difference? or have a loaded too many folders?

Please advise so I can stop burning DVDs

Cheers guys!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by veedman
Hi Guys

As i have the older version, there is no direct ipod connector allowing me to change songs with the console. So as instructed i got a pcmcia card, tried to use a 2gig sd card and it works perfectly...

However after reading the threads, someone suggested the maximum was 16gig, which i purchased, but when loading it, it dosnt work...

Does anyone know what type of SD card should be used, as my first one was normal SD but the 16g one was SDHC, does that make a difference? or have a loaded too many folders?

Please advise so I can stop burning DVDs

Cheers guys!!!

I use a 4gb card - it works perfectly and it is almost the same size as a DVD (4.7gb).

You should look at the format type of your 16gb card - whether it is FAT32 or NTFS. It should be formatted to FAT32 I think. Some media readers do not suppoer NTFS. Just right click on the card/drive, press format, and choose FAT32.

Just a suggestion. Not sure whether it will solve the problem. Hope it helps
Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 amg
Red face

Originally Posted by olszowa12
I use a 4gb card - it works perfectly and it is almost the same size as a DVD (4.7gb).

You should look at the format type of your 16gb card - whether it is FAT32 or NTFS. It should be formatted to FAT32 I think. Some media readers do not suppoer NTFS. Just right click on the card/drive, press format, and choose FAT32.

Just a suggestion. Not sure whether it will solve the problem. Hope it helps

thanks buddy

ill give that a try and see how i go!!

appreciate your help
Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I believe the comand system is based on WinCE (aka Windows mobile). There are file size limits (I do not remember off the top of my head what they are, but I believe its 4GB per file, and that is a limitation of FAT32). WinCE does not support NTFS, so if you formatted it to that, it won't read. The maximum SD card size that WinCE supports is 32G, so in theory, your 16G card should work.

However, giant caveat here, they come in various names and speeds, but all SD cards are essentially the same, only varying in size and speed, regardless of the name (SDXC SDHC etc) I do not know if the comand system imposes its own limits over those of the underlying OS. Try picking up a number of cheap low capacity SD cards of varying speeds, my guess is that Class 10 (the fastest) my have some compatibility (I had this problem with some readers in older laptops and my work machine) issues, try class 6 or less.