How often should I replace my rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 PM
iku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk32(gone), 08 c63.
How often should I replace my rotors?

The "check brake pad" warning popped up a week ago, and i went to the dealership to get it checked out today. The service dude told me I might need to replace my rotors, which according to him will cost around 1100cnd. My car has roughly 40k km's, and I've never had to replace my brake pads so far. My question is, do people replace their pads and rotors together at the same time for the first replacement?! or is the dealership full of shi*? i don't drive really aggressively either, or brake really hard at all. It's mostly casual driving.

Thanks guys
Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Check parts.com. You will need a USD address to ship the parts to for pick up. I usually send them to Blaine. You will save close to 50%. Just get all the part #'s from your SA.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes tends to use softer rotors than most other car companies, but I don't see how casual driving can result in replacing rotors at 40k kilometers unless your brake pads are made of especially rough substance... You can actually check the rotors yourself to see:

feel the outside edge of the rotor, and then feel the flat face of the rotor itself. If the flat face is sunken in deeply compared to the edge, then yes, it MAY be time for new rotors. If not, then the service adviser was probably just trying to pull a few bills from your wallet. If you're REALLY unsure, purchase a micrometer and test the thickness of the rotor.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
im not expert but i dont think i would change my rotors unless they were warped. i dont see how they could be worn with that small amout of time on them. especially if its only street driving. if you do decide to replace them you might want to check out some of the aftermarket stuff. i think evosport makes some nice ones that are way cheaper than OEM. and supposedly alot lighter too.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Additionally, you can pull the rotors off, take a metal ruler (not a cheap one, a good quality engineering standards type) and place it on edge across the surface of the rotor. This will atleast tell you how flat the surface is and if there is any gauging or warping as you move the ruler around. Its quick and easy, assuming you have the rotor off the hub
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
On the sidee of the rotor (outer edge where the pads do not touch) will have the min thickness stamped. Get a digital caliper and measure it.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
I've replaced rotors on some cars at way less than 40,000 kms. Just get a second opinion or do the work yourself to verify if replacement is needed.

Cheers.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 C63, 07 ML63, 92 500E, 70 300SEL 6.3, 63 220 SEB Conv. Sold 02 G500, 97 E50,92 C280,71 280SE 4.5
I would ask the SA to give you the actual measurement of the front rotors and compare to the minimum allowable and measurement when new. you should be able to extrapolate how long they will still last. Yhen maybe you can ask the SA to explain his recomendation.

Sometimes you just have to show them you are checking
Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 PM

2011 Ultima GTR
Change them as required. Measure the thickness, if below minimum, swap em. Otherwise give them a machine and keep using away.

In my previous car (Lancer Evo9), I swapped my stock rotors/brake pads out at 15,000km.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Originally Posted by Sincity
On the sidee of the rotor (outer edge where the pads do not touch) will have the min thickness stamped. Get a digital caliper and measure it.
Anybody happen to know what this min. thickness is?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AlexCim
Change them as required. Measure the thickness, if below minimum, swap em. Otherwise give them a machine and keep using away.

In my previous car (Lancer Evo9), I swapped my stock rotors/brake pads out at 15,000km.
Not to contradict you but on your Evo rotors(solid brembo) you can resurface them with the diamond tip cut because they are solid but the C63 has drilled rotors so I don't know what method(if any) is available for resurfacing cross drilled rotors.

Either way, I would resurface the rotors if I could, I just don't know if the cross drilled rotors can be done otherwise there is no way in hell I would put a new set of rotors unless they are paper thin.

You might want to check on tirerack under their brake section and look for the Brembo replacement. In the worst case scenario i would even buy the Evosports two pieces since they are lighter and cheaper than the OEM. my .2c
Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 AM
iku

slk32(gone), 08 c63.
Hey guys! Thanks for informing me so much about rotors and brake in general! In the end, I just had to replace to rear brake pads. (412 cnd)!!
Thanks guys!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by iku
Hey guys! Thanks for informing me so much about rotors and brake in general! In the end, I just had to replace to rear brake pads. (412 cnd)!!
Thanks guys!
Jesus, why didn't you check parts.com before you bought them. If that price included labor, it's still gross. I bought all 4 pad for under $175. On the C63, I don't imagine it would be much more. In the future, you should always buy parts somewhere else and have them installed at the dealer if you must. As long as they are oem, they will install them. I purchased all 4 rotors, pads, brake sensors from dealer in FL for under $750 USD.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 AM

2011 Ultima GTR
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Not to contradict you but on your Evo rotors(solid brembo) you can resurface them with the diamond tip cut because they are solid but the C63 has drilled rotors so I don't know what method(if any) is available for resurfacing cross drilled rotors.

Either way, I would resurface the rotors if I could, I just don't know if the cross drilled rotors can be done otherwise there is no way in hell I would put a new set of rotors unless they are paper thin.

You might want to check on tirerack under their brake section and look for the Brembo replacement. In the worst case scenario i would even buy the Evosports two pieces since they are lighter and cheaper than the OEM. my .2c
Never heard of surfacing? Regardless, I wasn't satisfied with the standard rotors and swapped them out for 2-piece AP Rotors and Pagid pads. Mad for really fun braking, just sounds like a train when pulling up at lights haha.

I am not happy with the C63 pads either. After some sustained hard braking, you can definitely tell they are street pads.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 PM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by iku
Thanks guys!
412 just for rear pads. There is got to be around 300 on labour. Which dealership did you go to in BC?